Author Topic: Sega CD 32X titles  (Read 6088 times)

Sega CD 32X titles
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:48:56 pm »
Excluding Brazil, there are five games that require both the Sega CD and the Sega 32X to work, and they are listed under the 32X category. They are Corpse Killer, Fahrenheit, Night Trap, Slam City with Scottie Pippen, and Supreme Warrior. All five have Sega CD only versions. (Fahrenheit has both bundled together.) Four of them use the naming convention "<Title> (Sega CD 32X)", but Supreme Warrior does not. For consistency, I submitted a name change request but was rejected. Leaving the title as "Supreme Warrior" instead of changing it to "Supreme Warrior (Sega CD 32X)" implies it to be a 32X only game, which is wrong.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:52:48 pm by n64ra »

Re: Sega CD 32X titles
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 03:31:34 pm »
SEGA CD 32X shouldn't be in the title.

Matter of fact, we should have a Sega CD 32X category.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:34:09 am »
I went with the simpler approach for consistency.

That is a better idea.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:38:21 am »

Not enough games to warrant a different category.

I rejected the edit for changing the name for the same reason, it shouldn't be in the title because there isn't another of a different type in the category already. It should be put into alt name field instead.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:00:28 pm »

Not enough games to warrant a different category.
We have categories that have 0 items.

We have several categories that have fewer than 5 items.

These games neither belong under Sega CD nor Sega 32X exclusively.  They should be put under a sub-category called Sega CD 32X

The box art clearly states the platform required.  "SEGA CD 32X"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:03:10 pm by ignition365 »

telly

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 12:07:12 pm »
I don't think that the CD 32x games are different enough to warrant a different category. Just because they need both the console's add ons is in my opinion more comperable to an N64 game that needs the expansion pack to run.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 12:09:29 pm »
I don't think that the CD 32x games are different enough to warrant a different category. Just because they need both the console's add ons is in my opinion more comperable to an N64 game that needs the expansion pack to run.
So then 32X, CD, and CD 32X should all be merged into Sega Genesis?

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 12:10:53 pm »
Yeah the categories we have with 0 items were mostly requested a long time ago, and are categories where many items exist but they are just not put into the DB yet.

32X and Sega CD already in the MD category.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 12:14:04 pm »
Yeah the categories we have with 0 items were mostly requested a long time ago, and are categories where many items exist but they are just not put into the DB yet.

32X and Sega CD already in the MD category.
No, based on what he was saying I was asking if Sega 32X [NA], Sega CD [NA], and Sega Genesis [NA] should all be merged to Sega Genesis [NA] because they are all comparable to the N64 with its expansion pak.

telly

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 12:19:38 pm »
I do think games should be separated if they were released for an add on, yes. But the thing is that all of the CD 32x games were CD games, and do not use the 32x's cartridge slot. The 32x for these games does nothing other than add more power and memory to the system, like an expansion pack.

This is supported by the fact that all the Sega CD 32x games were previously released on the Sega CD beforehand. It's like an updated version to take advantage of the new hardware.
Currently Playing:

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 12:23:56 pm »
I do think games should be separated if they were released for an add on, yes. But the thing is that all of the CD 32x games were CD games, and do not use the 32x's cartridge slot. The 32x for these games does nothing other than add more power and memory to the system, like an expansion pack.

This is supported by the fact that all the Sega CD 32x games were previously released on the Sega CD beforehand. It's like an updated version to take advantage of the new hardware.
True. But do the games belong under Sega CD because they are CD games, or do they belong under 32X because it requires the 32X and has a yellow label.

The "simple" answer is give them their own category, they don't really belong under CD or 32X, they belong under both.

telly

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 12:39:29 pm »
I think maybe the label is yellow just because the 32x came out later? haha idk. I definitely don't think they should be in the category they are now.

If I had to choose, I would say Sega CD. It's why all these titles say (Sega CD 32x) in the title anyway, to differentiate it from the original Sega CD titles. But I'm not totally opposed to putting them in a separate category either :) I don't agree that having 5 titles is "too small" a library to make a new category.
Currently Playing:

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 12:59:13 pm »
I think maybe the label is yellow just because the 32x came out later? haha idk. I definitely don't think they should be in the category they are now.

If I had to choose, I would say Sega CD. It's why all these titles say (Sega CD 32x) in the title anyway, to differentiate it from the original Sega CD titles. But I'm not totally opposed to putting them in a separate category either :) I don't agree that having 5 titles is "too small" a library to make a new category.
Yeah, if I was saying a whole new main category for just 5 games, I'd agree it isn't worth it, but I'm suggesting another sub-category under Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. 

But I do see how that will also spawn a Sega CD 32X [EU].

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 01:51:41 pm »
If you don't make a separate entry for Sega 32X CD, then you're just gonna have two entries for the game; one in Sega CD, and one in Sega 32X. That makes less sense than just making a new category.

telly

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 02:30:50 pm »
I don't think these games should be in the 32x category in either case. The games are only tangentially related to the 32x because they use the power of the 32x to improve what was a preexisting Sega CD game. The only link in my opinion is the box art.

That said, it does make an interesting situation where you have games that take from two add ons instead of one, which could definitely mean a different sub category.

EDIT: But I also think of the New Nintendo 3DS, which does not have it's own category, though it's a similar situation to the SCD32x in a way
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:39:33 pm by telly »
Currently Playing: