Author Topic: Other Video Game DB and Collection Management Sites  (Read 2470 times)

Other Video Game DB and Collection Management Sites
« on: February 09, 2017, 05:08:39 pm »
vgcollect is the first site I've used for tracking my video games, and I love it. However, I'm interested in using a second site because I'm a dork. Does anyone else do that here? If so, what site(s)?

desocietas

Re: Other Video Game DB and Collection Management Sites
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 05:49:10 pm »
vgcollect is the first site I've used for tracking my video games, and I love it. However, I'm interested in using a second site because I'm a dork. Does anyone else do that here? If so, what site(s)?

I'm in the same boat! Glad you also love the site :)
I know some folks here also use backloggery to keep track of their games played and such. Some folks are also looking for features that we don't currently have, like reviews, ways to mark completion progress of a game, etc. We're always happy to hear what folks would love to see here. No guarantees, of course, that anything will flesh out to a future version of VGC, but we love to hear feedback.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:45:15 pm »
While I don't use them, off the top of my head, I know GameFAQs has a collection tracker for members, and True Achievements/True Trophies has collection trackers for their respective systems.

spac316

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 01:38:52 am »
I used to use Gamespot's before coming here. I'm also using an app for Android called "VG Collection Tracker", mainly to have a list of the games I have so I don't accidentally buy a duplicate.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:40:39 am by spac316 »

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 01:56:17 pm »
Oh, I forgot! I used IGN's until they deleted it. I tried the collectorz demo but didn't like the interface and view. I'll take a look at the backloggery. Definitely trying to avoid sites that only cater to certain platform(s).

To me, the best part of vgcollect by far is the collection view. I want to easily see the box art and game title in a list. My two suggestions with it are 1) allow sorting by console and 2) Let me display more than 25 items per page.

My work around is to export and sort in Excel, but that loses the box art and is rather annoying.

The other thing I'd like is a number of games owned. Right now it sums the number of total items, which includes hardware, toys to life, demos, etc

doafan

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 02:43:17 pm »
The one from IGN was not as complete as VG Collect, that's the main reason why am here  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 03:20:33 pm »
As far as older consoles go there aren't to many options vgcollect is easy to use and it looks pretty good and even though there are certain sites with a bit more games, those sites look really messy.

retrocollect for example pretty bad in my opinion even though it might have more stuff.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 07:20:44 pm »
I used to use RF Generation, which is good if you prefer to have a text based list of your games, and you can sort by console, year, genre, etc. I would say it's the most solid database out there aside from VGcollect.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 05:29:20 am »
There are many sites to keep your collection. Every site has its problems, even VGCollect has its problems.

Universal Videogames List is also one of those sites.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 12:50:54 pm »
Honestly, I think VGCollect has the potential to be THE BEST collection database out there, but the updates have slowed to a crawl.  Admins, would love it if you could post a list of upcoming changes and things in the works.

thanks,
Retro

Flashback2012

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 01:34:07 pm »
My secondary site is GameTZ.  :)

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 10:51:42 am »
Shmax.com for toys
Arcade Museum for arcade games
Pinside for pinball

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 10:55:14 am »
My secondary site is GameTZ.  :)

I use the site for trading. But their database leaves a lot to be desired. LOTS of mistakes in there.

brunauss

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 01:25:31 pm »
Think I will use this as an opportunity to inform some old friends I am still alive and breathing. Due to the reality my collection is so massive and varied, I have been left with utilizing multiple internet databases after giving up on IGN ever fixing the flash glitch linked to the most crucial component for building your database on their site, the "Follow" button.

I noticed nobody has mentioned the newcomer online known as Completionator. I managed to even look up and find the obscure expansion for a Star Trek game titled Chekov's Lost Missions. Check them out www.completionator.com
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 01:43:23 pm »
Think I will use this as an opportunity to inform some old friends I am still alive and breathing. Due to the reality my collection is so massive and varied, I have been left with utilizing multiple internet databases after giving up on IGN ever fixing the flash glitch linked to the most crucial component for building your database on their site, the "Follow" button.

I noticed nobody has mentioned the newcomer online known as Completionator. I managed to even look up and find the obscure expansion for a Star Trek game titled Chekov's Lost Missions. Check them out www.completionator.com

Welcome back!

I hadn't heard of that new one but the layout is nice and clean. Unfortunately I have a hard time finding sites that list variants as well as VGC. At least GameFAQs can include some info on release data and images for different regions. The big pictures there are often nice, too.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas