Author Topic: Saturn Laser Going Bad?  (Read 1042 times)

megasilverx1

Saturn Laser Going Bad?
« on: September 20, 2023, 08:40:46 pm »
Earlier this year I got two Japanese Sega Saturns that were listed as "for parts" and it ended up that both worked but with different issues. I ended up naming them Saturn A and Saturn B. Saturn A's issue was the CD door didn't open nicely, but otherwise worked fine. Saturn B has video noise issues resulting in a faint horizontal snowflake-like noise (I ended up replacing the PSU on this console which sort of fixed the noise), but otherwise worked too. One of the first games I got for the Saturn was Saturn Bomberman and until recently, my copy had been working fine. About two weeks ago, I tried to start up the game, but the disc would not read. There are not deep scratches, fingerprints, or dust on the disc and no signs of disc rot when I put the disc in front of a bright light. Only thing I noticed was a VERY small piece of the reflective layer was missing by the center of the disc. I ended up purchasing a second copy of Saturn Bombmerman to see if my original copy had somehow just died (not sure if that's the right word). That copy worked ONCE after several tries which made me wonder if the issue was a hardware one rather than a software one. Turns out, yes, it is a hardware issue; just a very particular one. Saturn B read both copies of Saturn Bomberman fine. I would assume that means that the laser on Saturn A is starting to go, but Saturn A is reading my other five Saturn games along with audio CDs no problem. I'll eventually replace the laser on Saturn A, but I find it so strange that just one game is affected. If the laser was starting to go, wouldn't it struggle to read all games and audio CDs, not just this one particular game?

tripredacus

Re: Saturn Laser Going Bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 09:41:32 am »
If the laser was starting to go, wouldn't it struggle to read all games and audio CDs, not just this one particular game?

Yes it would. The games and audio CDs use the same functions. The only difference is the DRM that is on the Saturn discs, if it had trouble handling that it may not necessarily be the laser. There is also the possibility that the laser is not calibrated properly, but it is far easier to just replace the entire unit or use an ODE in its place than try to repair something like that.

no signs of disc rot when I put the disc in front of a bright light. Only thing I noticed was a VERY small piece of the reflective layer was missing by the center of the disc.

CD can't have disc rot. Disc rot only happened with discs that have two protective layers like LaserDiscs, DVDs and HD-DVDs. CDs do not have disc rot. It can have damage to the reflective layer, which if this occurs within the data area it means the disc could be toast. The CD mechanism has the ability to error correct for scratches but it cannot handle any portion where the reflective layer is missing.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 09:13:18 am »

If the laser was starting to go, wouldn't it struggle to read all games and audio CDs, not just this one particular game?

Not really, take ps2 for example. if the laser goes bad, dual layered discs like rogue galaxy or blue/purple discs are the first ones that won't be playable anymore. or ps1 games are also one of the earlier things to go. Anything else would just work fine for quite some time until the laser degrades even more.

Some games are easier to read than others, I've heard for say dreamcast shenmue is one of those games that's the first one that becomes unplayable if the laser degraded to a certain point.

also to be fair you had quite the small selection of games, if you had more, there would have probably been more games that wouldn't work than just the 1 for very simular reasons.

even with cartridge based systems this is a thing. If game uses more special effects it might be glitchy on a snes motherboard that is going bad.

R-type III, pocky & rocky dk country as some examples

will however work perfectly fine with most games that don't do anything special. so might go unnoticed for quite some folks until you use a game that actually has more going on.

no signs of disc rot when I put the disc in front of a bright light. Only thing I noticed was a VERY small piece of the reflective layer was missing by the center of the disc.

CD can't have disc rot. Disc rot only happened with discs that have two protective layers like LaserDiscs, DVDs and HD-DVDs. CDs do not have disc rot. It can have damage to the reflective layer, which if this occurs within the data area it means the disc could be toast. The CD mechanism has the ability to error correct for scratches but it cannot handle any portion where the reflective layer is missing.

Disc rot mainly happens at the factory. if it was a bad batch it will happen soon. if it was pressed properly the odds of disc rot are so rare, gotto store it pretty poorly where them naturaly elements go wild for it to happen than.  it doesn't really pop up out of nowhere.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 06:09:54 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 06:39:54 pm »

good luck with finding a new Sega Saturn or any games for it, especially in the US. he or she needs a new laser or a laser drive for it maybe a PC tech can help, I do not know but I would not buy another one they are really expensive today

Quote from: sworddude link=topic=12540.msg202925#msg202925 date=1695474798\

Not really, take ps2 for example. if the laser goes bad, dual layered discs like rogue galaxy or blue/purple discs are the first ones that won't be playable anymore. or ps1 games are also one of the earlier things to go. Anything else would just work fine for quite some time until the laser degrades even more.

Some games are easier to read than others, I've heard for say dreamcast shenmue is one of those games that's the first one that becomes unplayable if the laser degraded to a certain point.

also to be fair you had quite the small selection of games, if you had more, there would have probably been more games that wouldn't work than just the 1 for very simular reasons.

even with cartridge based systems this is a thing. If game uses more special effects it might be glitchy on a snes motherboard that is going bad.

R-type III, pocky & rocky dk country as some examples

will however work perfectly fine with most games that don't do anything special. so might go unnoticed for quite some folks until you use a game that actually has more going on.

your are vary true in this statement
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 06:48:51 pm »
Get buy and download the Saturn collection off etsy for PC or Mac then download BIO's and watch Youtube videos on how to use RetroArch, that is my personal advice :-\

(edit) with RetroArch and the ROM's and correct Saturn BIOs for the correct ROM's you don't even need to use those old discs anymore, but you can if you want to wear your PC CD/DVD or I should say any other disc drive out.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 06:57:42 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 10:01:05 am »
I have had bad experiences with Retroarch using an actual ODD, better performance if you use a mounted disc image instead.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 01:02:45 pm »
I have had bad experiences with Retroarch using an actual ODD, better performance if you use a mounted disc image instead.

ME TOO ME too, that is why I watched YouTube tutorials on how to use it after I broke it more than once or twice, and needed to reinstall it from scratch.

But I WILL say this you can fry your computer with this I THINK, yup never play too hard with the CORE compatibilities  on RetroArch otherwise your Arc angel will turn into the devil, and destroy your computers thanks for reminding me, but Retro Arch is safe if you read everything there is to know about it before you make those Core adjustments, and a little tech knowledge helps as well especially the SEGA sound, you need to fix the SEGA core sound latency to the right setting otherwise it will be choppy as multiple karite chops in a second. that is what the Internet is supposed to be for, yea to learn the truth.

NO APPS NEEDED