Author Topic: Sports Games  (Read 1734 times)

Sports Games
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:39:16 am »
i love sports games in general. I first started playing them in 2002 with NHL 2002 for PC. That Game Took me 4 years to master on the easiest setting and I left me soaked in sweat after each and every game now I can just about win any hockey game as long as I can let some shots go without getting scored on every time. Does anyone else play and enjoy sports games.I know when I was talking about them on a different forum this one guy thought they were pointless and stupid to collect or spend your money on. I am referring to mostly the retro kind the ones without all the glitches and crappy AI.

do you play and enjoy them? which ones do you recommend the most that you have or maybe don't have in your collection. My favorite hockey games are NHL 2001 NHL 2000 NHL 2008. I currently don't know how to play american football. favorite International Football/soccer is FIFA 2001, I don't have a current favorite Baseball game yet and but I really like NBA live 2006 March Madness 98 and March Madnesss 06 and I have tons of racing and driving games yet to master
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Re: Sports Games
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 01:46:24 am »
would love to play some some NHL 2001 on PC, but I'm just terrible at it lol.  I do enjoy a good game of NBA JAM though, if you count that as a sports title.   I used to hate sports games, but lately I've been willing to give them a shot.  Generally speaking, I'm more interested in the older titles myself, especially on PC (you can still play them online multiplayer).  I find the newer sports games to be too complicated, too many buttons to press etc. 

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 05:27:06 am »
I personally have the PlayStation 1 version of NHL 2001 and it is a blast to play :D

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:56:05 am »
I don't have a lot of sports game (I mean idk if the Skate, Tony Hawk and SSX series are really considered sports game) but I do have and NBA live 07 and NHL 06 on ps2 and I used to play with them a lot! I also enjoy the fifa/pes series which are more liked in europe but I don't actually own any games from these series.

My favorite sport game has to be EA Sports UFC (once again if we don't include skate, tony hawk...)tho, I love the fighting system!

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 11:14:02 am »
I play a few sports games a lot.

EA NCAA Football series
NBA Jam
2K Football and Basketball series (SEGA era)
NFL Blitz
Ice Hockey on NES
Virtua Tennis series

I played every one of the above a lot. Generally sports games have become very simulation based vs arcade based. This is good. However, I don't know or like an actual sport enough to understand the simulation aspect. I do like how the NHL EA series has brought back the classic mode which features three buttons. I just felt like a wuss every time I activated it.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 11:38:01 am »
Favorite sports game would have to be the NBA Street games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 02:32:31 pm »
I am your stereotypical geek in the fact that I'm just not into traditional sports, on any level. So I don't have any of those games.

But I do have a little less "pure" sports games in my collection.

I love the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series, even though I suck at skateboarding in real life. Tons of fun to just go around and try new stuff while exploring. And usually the rock side of the soundtracks on these games are great (not into hip-hop, though). For the same reasons, I have the Cool Boarders snowboarding series, as well.

Being a wrestling fan, I of course like a good wrestling games. The WWE 2K series (which later became just a year-by-year series) since 2012 have been great. I love playing through the story modes on those, since I've been a wrestling fan for a long time and those are usually nostalgic.

And a good arcade racer can be fun. Not my top favorite genre, but if it's done right I can get into them. I'm just not into the technical, more car-guy type racers, though. I want something like RC Pro-Am that's just mindless video game fun, or an arcade racer like Ridge Racer or Daytona USA where I can just pick a car and go. Also the ones that incorporate battle-elements, like Road Rash or Arctic Thunder. Gran Turismo is just not my bag, baby.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:35:04 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 03:59:02 pm »
I am your stereotypical geek in the fact that I'm just not into traditional sports, on any level. So I don't have any of those games.

But I do have a little less "pure" sports games in my collection.

I love the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series, even though I suck at skateboarding in real life. Tons of fun to just go around and try new stuff while exploring. And usually the rock side of the soundtracks on these games are great (not into hip-hop, though). For the same reasons, I have the Cool Boarders snowboarding series, as well.

Being a wrestling fan, I of course like a good wrestling games. The WWE 2K series (which later became just a year-by-year series) since 2012 have been great. I love playing through the story modes on those, since I've been a wrestling fan for a long time and those are usually nostalgic.

And a good arcade racer can be fun. Not my top favorite genre, but if it's done right I can get into them. I'm just not into the technical, more car-guy type racers, though. I want something like RC Pro-Am that's just mindless video game fun, or an arcade racer like Ridge Racer or Daytona USA where I can just pick a car and go. Also the ones that incorporate battle-elements, like Road Rash or Arctic Thunder. Gran Turismo is just not my bag, baby.
I love the gran Turismo series but the licence thing is the hardest part in the entire game. and on gran turismo 4 it has really frustrated me, on this one licence course where you must turn a sharp corner while going downhill and cannot let any part of your car go off the track or you have to do the entire course over perfectly and in a time sequence that has me frigging pissed. AND if you don't past that darn course your stuck earning 500 credits for winning a race every time and less for not placing in 1st place.  and upgrading a single component of your race car in GT 4 cost at least 2000 credit for only one small no effect upgrade taking.

GT 2 is rare but I love that game and recommend everyone even if you don't like the gran turismo series to get Gran Turismo 2 for the PlayStation 1. and it is best played on your PS3 where you can have a TON of cars on a digital memory PS3 quota without ever having to swap PS1 memory cards unlike when using a PlayStation 1 or PlayStation 2 when playing a PS1 game.

All you sports fans take note a PS3 is a must have for your PlayStation 1 sports games seasons. With any PlayStation 3 you can create multiple seasons on PS1 memory and never have to use a PS memory card again. I have a former 250 gig super slim and it rocks with PS3 and PS1 games of all sorts  ;D.

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 04:16:17 pm »
Never really been into the genre myself outside of some of the arcade-style ones (like the Mario versions). I'm just not a sports guy, so there was little incentive to play them.

And from a collecting standpoint, I like them even less simply because there's just so many of them. I'm aiming for a complete 360 NTSC collection, and out of the ~550 titles I've got left to get, about half of them are sports games.

Still, I'm not gonna fault anyone for liking them. They're just not my cup of tea, and I'm sure some of the folks who enjoy sports titles would say the same about the games I like.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 10:29:44 pm »
I traditionally am not a fan of the genre, but I have enjoyed various hockey games over the years (NHL 97, NHL 2001, NHL 2007, NHL2K, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hocky). Aside from that the only non-NHL games I've ever enjoyed was NFL Blitz. If you can count games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater and 1080 Snowboarding, then yeah, those too.

shepard11

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 11:36:11 pm »
I'm a big fan of the SNES and Genesis generation of EA Sport games especially NBA, Madden and NHL. And any version of NBA Jam I'm always willing to play.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 10:35:12 am »
would love to play some some NHL 2001 on PC, but I'm just terrible at it lol.

Its bad news then. NHL 2001 is the 2nd easiest hockey game I've played, the easiest being NHL 2002. As with any hockey game, your first step is to determine where to set up the one-timers for goals. It is easier to do this with the EA Sports versions because you can use the play editor to set your offensive zone alignments. Test each alignment and then practice passing from your controlled player to the other players on your team and attempt one-timers. You will eventually find one that will work.

I had done this on NHL 06 and NHL 08. There was one alignment where I could put a player to the left of the goal. Then on each faceoff, you win the faceoff and pass back to the defensemen on the right. Move into the zone and there was a "Sweet spot" where you could have the D-man along the half wall on the right, and could sit there to wait for your alignment to clear. You could sit there because this small portion of the ice, the AI player that is man-to-man to your D-man would keep a fair distance away. Then you could pass to your player to the left of the net, and one-time a goal easily. BUT, I gave up on this for a few reasons. The first being that it is boring to score 30+ goals a game.

Plus all the EA Sports NHL games from 2000+ have a soft cap, or "equalizer" to scoring. Depending on the skill of the AI goaltender, your goal cap will be between 27 and 33 goals scored before the AI will cheat and it becomes very difficult to score. It doesn't matter if you have goalie substitutions on or not.

The other reason I stopped playing the NHL games was because I ended up being a modder for them. I was the only roster editor for NHL 06 for awhile, and then also modded the other parts of my game to make it more accurate. Actual jerseys, ice surfaces, boards. I redid the menu, made custom teams. Replaced the sounds, all that stuff. But the issue then for me is I didn't have time to actually play the game. Making up-to-date rosters is like a second job. Every day need to check all the websites for movements, call-ups, send-downs, and then handle rosters for international teams. You can take 1 day off, but then you are behind. It was fun but ended up not being fun.

My go-to sports games are baseball games. I haven't played a hockey game in many years now.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 03:14:01 pm »
I just bought Blood Bowl II for PS4 this morning.  ;D

I like sports games, but primarily ones that are fully aware that they're video games. Basically, ones that aren't trying to be realistic. Things like NBA Jam, Mutant League Hockey, or Pigskin Footbrawl.

My personal favorite is Super Baseball 2020 for the Neo Geo, an excellent and informative look into how baseball will be 3 years from now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5APjJdIYveQ
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:16:30 pm by zenimus »

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 01:59:12 am »
I just got into baceball a few days ago currently playing NHL 2008 & All Star Baseball 2001 and Tiger Woods PGA tour 2005

NO APPS NEEDED