Author Topic: LoZ: Breath of the Wild Discussion Thread  (Read 2994 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

LoZ: Breath of the Wild Discussion Thread
« on: March 14, 2017, 01:03:20 pm »
Since this game seems to be dominating the Switch discussion thread, I thought it might be good to give it it's own thread.

Finally getting into LoZ: Breath of the Wild. And I'm addicted.

However, it's not perfect like people are trying say. My biggest complaint being all the damn walking you do. It takes forever to get anywhere and do anything. It seems like we're back to a Morrowind-level of traveling. The Elder Scrolls series fixed this a long time ago.

And, while not as big of a complaint: Where's the music? The Legend of Zelda series usually has some fan-freaking-tastic music going on. This game is more ambient background music.

My final complaint is the graphics, but I knew about this coming in. I understand they were trying to bring a bit of the cartoony Zelda look into it. (And yeah, I'm one of the ones that REALLY didn't like the look of Wind Waker.) But it does seem a bit "last-gen" looking. I'd even go so far to say that a few late-gen original XBox games looked better. (I'm playing it on Wii U.) But being a retro-gamer, graphics don't make or break a game for me.

That said, I am enjoying the hell out of it, nonetheless. I just really wish it didn't take so damn long to get things done in this game since I am a working parent. But the fact that I'm not getting enough sleep due to playing the game, is a sure sign that it's good.

I just wanted to throw my two-cents in there since people seem to be hailing it as perfection and better than Skyrim and stuff. Good, for sure, but not perfection.

Re: LoZ: Breath of the Wild Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 01:46:58 pm »
I don't understand how the travel system in this game is any different than say Skyrim.  You can walk, you can ride a horse, you can hijack a bear, you can fast travel (albeit that you can't travel between towns, but rather shrines, but the shrines are generally well placed), sand seals, etc.  As someone who played Skyrim by jumping up mountains and cliffs, I rather enjoy that this game is designed to allow you to climb things (Something missing entirely from Bethesda games in general, can't even climb a freaking ladder).

The crafting system, not unlikely Fallout 4, makes every single item usable, but also makes every item disposable (except the Master Sword, obviously).

They did do away with the whole needing to do dungeons to acquire tools to further your progress in the game, all tools are given to you before you can leave the Tutorial Plateau.

I personally LOVED the Wind Waker art style, mostly because using that art style allows you as the designer to accentuate facial expressions much more easily, which for me is a thing I greatly enjoy.  This game takes itself fairly seriously, so you don't get so much silliness like Wind waker did, but that's okay, not a deal breaker for me.  But you do still get great moments like Prince Sidon's winning smile, Goron's eyes getting really tiny when they are surprised, on that same note EVERY SINGLE Goron's winning smile, Link acting surprised, Link genuinely being surprised, etc.  These moments might not be as memorable, or quite frankly hilarious, in a different art style.

On the same note of art style, the cartoonish style presented ages very very well.  I can say through my experience, playing Wind Waker on GCN is much less painful (graphics wise) than playing Twilight Princess on GCN.

I'll agree and disagree on the music.  There are plenty of times where the music kicks in at appropriate times, but when you are literally just walking around, it's just ambiance.  I get it, where's the great music everyone has come to love about these games.  Well, BotW isn't nearly as scripted as previous Zelda titles, so it's difficult to play orchestrated music when you are doing something as menial as walking down a road.  I'm willing to bet they attempted that and felt that it just felt out of place and that the more natural ambiance soundtrack was more meaningful.

Going back to the traveling, I find that I do shrines first and foremost, so I always have places to fast travel to if I need to.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 02:03:42 pm »
It just takes forever, that's how it's different. I didn't take nearly as long going from location to location in Skyrim or Oblivion. I'd get a quest, go straight to the map-point, and get down to slaying.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 08:31:52 pm »
Cons- Weapons Breaking

Pros- Everything Else

:D

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:33:04 pm »
It just takes forever, that's how it's different. I didn't take nearly as long going from location to location in Skyrim or Oblivion. I'd get a quest, go straight to the map-point, and get down to slaying.

There are 135 fast travel points in the game.  Sure, going somewhere new takes abit, but that is no different than any other open world game. 

For me, Breath of the Wild is easily my favorite Zelda of all time, though it's certainly not perfect.  I thought the ending and lack of overall threat was kinda weak, the lack of music while running around the map is disappointing, the framerate issues aren't the best, and the durability of weapons can be pretty annoying for a good section of the game, even when you are getting endgame gear.  I don't hate durability, but they just made weapons way too weak.  Also I kinda missed good unique bosses.  I didn't mind the smaller dungeons and the boss fights are good, but they aren't unique.

On the other hand, I love the scale of the game, the variety of weapons and gear, I loved all the puzzle elements, the crafting, there's just so much to explore and do.  Like I've put 80 hours into the game and I'm something like 30% done with the game.  Visually I love the game.  Yeah it's not next level Horizon stuff, but I think it's beautiful in its own way.  Could it be better? Sure, but I have no issues with the graphics in any way. 

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 11:09:52 pm »
I'll be honest, I don't mind the weapons breaking. For the most part I think it adds a bit of strategy to the game and keeps me from just swinging aimlessly. Not to mention I'm also a big fire emblem fan and one of the big mechanics (until fates) was weapon durability.

I've really love how everything in the world works. Sneak into an enemy camp while they're sleeping attach an octo Balloon to a TNT barrel and run a few seconds later the balloon pops and the barrel explodes reducing their numbers, or takes care of all of them. I used the metal weapons to cheat a electrical puzzle. He'll throw metal equipment during a lightning storm near an enemy and the lightning will hit them. Hitting the ChuChu's with elemental weapons will change their drop from the usual jelly to the other colors (fire for red, ice for white, electric for yellow). And honestly with how open ended the game is you got so many people playing it and it seems like so many have a different story to tell

Is the game flawless... no, but damn it is think this might just be my new favorite game

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 12:16:02 am »
I'll be honest, I don't mind the weapons breaking. For the most part I think it adds a bit of strategy to the game and keeps me from just swinging aimlessly. Not to mention I'm also a big fire emblem fan and one of the big mechanics (until fates) was weapon durability.

I've really love how everything in the world works. Sneak into an enemy camp while they're sleeping attach an octo Balloon to a TNT barrel and run a few seconds later the balloon pops and the barrel explodes reducing their numbers, or takes care of all of them. I used the metal weapons to cheat a electrical puzzle. He'll throw metal equipment during a lightning storm near an enemy and the lightning will hit them. Hitting the ChuChu's with elemental weapons will change their drop from the usual jelly to the other colors (fire for red, ice for white, electric for yellow). And honestly with how open ended the game is you got so many people playing it and it seems like so many have a different story to tell

Is the game flawless... no, but damn it is think this might just be my new favorite game

Well I'll be damned lol, I think I used metal weapons to cheat the same electrical puzzle you're talking about lol.  ;D.   It was circuits on the floor that you had to connect with giant metal blocks right?  Except I couldn't find a way to connect them all with the one metal block they gave so I just threw my battle axe and sledge hammer to complete the circuit and it worked :).  Not sure if that's the same thing you did but I found it funny when I did it.

I agree on the weapons breaking adding another survival type element and at the beginning it felt fun but I think the game would improve without it especially if they made the later weapons either indestructible or just really extremely durable. good for many boss fights or something. Some of the weapons that broke on me I really liked and miss them like the thunder blade thing I got.  If I still had them I would be happier and enjoy the game even more.  They should also have a shop that allows you to repair almost broken weapons to full health.  idk if they do or not.  I haven't seen everything yet but I haven't found said shop yet.  that would make everything more enjoyable imo. :D   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:17:46 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

hexen

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 12:27:19 am »
Coming up to maybe 2 weeks before the release of BOTW, I for some reason wasn't following it too much or all that hyped. I was basically just waiting for Yooka-Laylee, and then I was like "Ya know, That Zelda is coming out soon... I have a Wii U. I guess I'll pre-order it! That could kill some time.", and I'm glad I followed through on that random thought. Previously I had enjoyed the N64 & previous generations of Zelda, but I hardly remembered anything from Wind Waker, and even less from Twilight Princess, which I stopped playing at the final dungeon. I out-and-out have not touched Skyward Sword, although I did play through A Link Between Worlds. I got it a day before the official release in the mail, and have been playing in most of my free time since. It's rare that I find a game these days that can draw me in enough to while away my pathetic life, and knowing next to nothing about the game enhanced the experience a lot.

These days, as I mentioned, I find it hard to get absorbed in video games like I used to. Open World western RPGs are the only ones that tend to do it for me, such as the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series, but so few are made I have to remain lucid of the world too long in between each entry. Well, here comes BOTW and it draws me in like I wouldn't have expected. Overall, the experience isn't quite to the level of a Bethesda RPG, but it is close enough an exceeds it in certain fields. One big thing it does so right is the climbing and gliding. Ever since Morrowind changed the way I thought about games forever with it's levitation magic, no future entries have given you that much freedom. However, being able to climb anything and glide around gives BOTW a sense of verticality that is frankly unmatched, even by Morrowind. The natural world of BOTW is the best in gaming because of it's ability to me rise in altitude naturally, as you don't need a level path to climb high. Climbing a big mountain just to know what is up there is a pretty exhilarating experience. Where I think it falls behind is the options in the world. While the overall outworld is great, the lack of interior locations really brings it down. A big part about Elder Scrolls for me is finding random dungeons and caves, and BOTW hardly has any of this. You also have much less chance to find something unique and useful, as the powers are all off the bat and a new item is only useful for a short time until it breaks. The Compendium improves this a lot for me, as I love filling up arbitrary catalogues (why do you think I'm at this site?), but in the end it isn't as fulfilling as the possibility of better equipment. The shrines are the closest it comes, and they puzzles and reward are satisfying enough. If there is one thing I LOVE, it's the non-linear puzzle solving in them. There is always an A to B solution, but if you think outside the box, you can break them in logical ways and I love that. Metal weapons completing electric circuits, fire arrows for torch puzzles, Stasis to make a chump out of complex puzzles, it feels like the game isn't treating me like a trained rat and this is hands-down one of my favorite aspects of the game.

The overall combat and weapon systems aren't as annoying as I thought they'd be. My natural hoarder of course wants to get all the best items, and never use them because I might need them later. This Elixir-Syndrome as I call it is why I never use elixirs in Final Fantasy games, the rarity of the item making it useless because I am afraid to use it. I had to force myself to overcome this, and it's a much different experience to use all my best stuff and break it all the time. For the most part, after upgrading my inventory slots and gaining a better understanding of the world and combat, has led me back to some hoarding, but it still doesn't feel as obsessive. The combat is pretty good Zelda-style, and it is really refreshing to not have them hold your hand. In the early game getting one shotted all the time for being careless is interesting. Big enemies, when first encountered, are truly frightening. When I encountered just the broken Guardian and seemed like I couldn't hurt it at all while it one-shotted me from seemingly miles away really set a frightening tone. The same can be said of my first Lynel encounter. Now I know how to just make even the legged Guardians into chumps with a Boko-bow and tree-branch if need be (it'll just take 2 hours), and can counter every Lynel attack, but it was getting there that made it worthwhile. Yet if I mess up a silver club Lynel could STILL two shot me, or even one-shot me if I am really sloppy, even with like 15 hearts and good armor. Even the first time I fought a Wizzrobe I had to just run away, and that's not even a mini-boss type monster. The first legged guardian I beat was way early, and I had around like a chicken while strategizing and getting lucky to knock it on it's side and break 3 weapons on it's bottom to kill it. In comparison to just world enemies, the actual bosses are pushovers, which is a bit sad. That early game combat experimentation was still phenomenal, and the first time you hear the Guardian's theme is really terrifying.

The crafting and gathering is pretty ok. I wish there was as much variety in the effects of the food as there is different types of food. Link can prepare many 4-course dinners worth of meals, but in the end a spicy egg roll, pumpkin pie, spiced steak and greens with a nut milk pairing is not as good as just cooking a single durian. As much as it's funny that this version of Link is a foodie with no tolerance for anything but the freshest ingredients I wish making the complex recopies was worth it. As for the gathering, I enjoy it too much. I used to just talk to my Ex on Skype while idly gathering a bunch of ingredients in Skyrim, it's a whole new level here. I have run around for hours and hours just exploring to collect a lot of mushrooms I don't need at all. It has somewhat payed off for upgrading items at the great fairies, but I still have 100s of Hylian Shrooms and Restless Crickets I'll never use. I could sell them, but their price is tiny compared to easily farmed meat. Overall it's just relaxing to me to run around, search every cranny for lizards and find a lot of Koroks along the way (and I don't even have 1/5th of the 900...!) as I do.

As for flaws, there are some. I have traveled everywhere on foot because the horse controls are BEYOND awful. I was trying to do a horse challenge where I rode it through checkpoints in a time limit, and I tried so many times just to even hit the first few checkpoints. I get so frustrated I just gave up on horses forever. Another thing that rustles my jimmies is the rain's effect on climbing. All that praise I gave the world for it's verticality? Well, it washes away in the rain. You can't climb anything while it's raining, and it just kills the pacing. All you can do is wait it out, which is made harder by the fact you need to light a fire to pass time fast. The motion control shrines can sometimes be a huge pain in the ass, especially with the Wii U pad. A lot have cheats, but it's still a problem. The same can be said of some of the physics puzzles, especially when you need to bust your weapons just to attempt them. That's really all I can think of for now... there are a couple more I probably just can't remember.

Overall it's a pretty great game. I haven't beaten it yet, but I have put dozens of hours into exploring and messing around.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 12:48:06 pm »
Tired as hell. Stayed up too damn late playing this...again.

It's just one of those games where you're like, "Okay, one more altar. Well, just one more. I got time for another." And then it's 2 in morning. lol. My health is going to suffer soon.

The weapon system is really starting to annoy me, though. Durability, I get it. But everything breaks too damn easily. A weapon should be able to last through one battle, at least. Instead I go through like 3 weapons when attacking a group of orcs.

pacpix

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 01:08:50 am »
Loving the game so far.  I haven't really been all that into gaming the past couple of years or so.  Even games that I was excited to play have not been able to hold my attention for long.  However, BoTW has completely sucked me in.  It's all I can think about all day at school and work, which really sucked since it came out right around midterms so I had to live in the library for a while to resist temptation lol.  I'm also not really a sidequest/exploring type of person, but I spent the first 25 hours or so just exploring before even entering the first main dungeon.

I only wish that I had told my boss I wasn't staying in town all spring break so I could stay home and play Zelda all day  ;D

The weapon system is really starting to annoy me, though. Durability, I get it. But everything breaks too damn easily. A weapon should be able to last through one battle, at least. Instead I go through like 3 weapons when attacking a group of orcs.

I didn't mind so much with the early game weapons, but it is bothering me that even the high level weapons break in encounters.  Shield breaking pissed me off so much in Skyward Sword that I stopped using my shield.  ;D If the weapon durability in BoTW was on par with the bows and shields I think it would be a big improvement.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:13:29 am by pacpix »
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 12:41:21 pm »
I spent so long going to shrines to up my health since many enemies were walloping me; only to find out that I just needed to do one more freaking quest in the main storyline to access the Fairy Fountain and increase my defense...I feel like a dope.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 05:00:07 pm »
I spent so long going to shrines to up my health since many enemies were walloping me; only to find out that I just needed to do one more freaking quest in the main storyline to access the Fairy Fountain and increase my defense...I feel like a dope.

Yeah that's one of the big shifts in Breath of the Wild compared to the previous games.  Hearts don't mean much, its more like other games where its about your gear and buffs from food and elixirs.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 02:05:20 pm »
So what are the items like opal, topaz, and ancient parts used for? (Other than the parts you turn into the lab for upgrades)

Can you craft weapons and armor? If so, how?

tpugmire

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 02:54:38 pm »
Not sure yet, I'm hanging on to pretty much everything except monster parts, and even those I'm keeping small stacks of. I don't want to sell off something and regret it later. I haven't run across any topaz yet, but I do have rubies and sapphires.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 02:58:27 pm »
^ Monster parts are used for elixirs. You mix them with bugs or other small creatures to make elixirs.