Author Topic: Bittersweet Collection Milestones  (Read 1552 times)

sworddude

Re: Bittersweet Collection Milestones
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 03:05:39 pm »

Also, as a random off-topic side note - looking at your collecting, all your stuff is CIB, that must look beautiful on display. If you've ever posted any pictures here, do direct me towards them!

I indeed only collect cib in very nice shape

Haven't posted any collection pictures here yet, might do that somewhere in the future.

Back on topic

Personally it is not only about collecting, playing them games and nostalgia is also part of the deal. The older games that I played in the past have inspired me to collect such titles for other systems. My goal is to get every great game that I would like to play for the older consoles. I also came across new genre's by chance wich I did not know about wich are great.

I would not mind when collecting comes to an end since that is my goal after all. Have a pretty long way to go though, however for certain consoles the end is near wich is a plus for me.

I do not collect for the sake of feeding my addiction to add more games. I only collect quality titles that I would like to play and for the extra challenge cib in very nice upwards condition. Lesser condition is not accepted.

I will say though, the thrills of finding deals are the best thing of the collecting aspect, to aquire those rare games for a bargain, finding old store stocks, insane finds at someone's attic Or also the feeling when you have finally aquired a title wich was really high up in your list when you were not expecting to get that game anytime soon.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:26:13 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Re: Bittersweet Collection Milestones
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 10:26:15 am »
I have a very cherry-picking way of going about my collection, often forgoing other's 'must haves' because of a lack of interest on my part (especially for the price these well-received games tend to go for.) As a result, my actual game acquiring slowed down several years ago.

Over the last year, I kept myself occupied picking up new consoles. It worked ok, but the pattern was the same: get console, get games, hit the paywall (titles over $50 each or so), decide to get another console so games are cheaper, repeat.  Pretty soon I ran out of consoles I was interested in owning that I could easily afford. So I switched to saving up & getting pricier wishlist games... but that felt like wasting money because I'd buy a game, shelve it & start saving for a new one.

This year, I went with a new tact that has brought me far more satisfaction: I started hunting my own collection. I decided that this year, rather than focus on acquiring new games, I'd start actually playing some. It's been far more enjoyable to pull out my games, start flipping through them, and find something I was genuinely excited to play but didn't during the rush of buying. Since all my games are bought to play, it's a feeling that comes up a lot. I'm still saving & picking up the occasional expensive wish list game, but it feels less urgent now. When I do grab one, it feels less like a waste of money because I know I'll likely be playing it soon.

What's surprised me is, I've also shifted away from the games themselves a bit & more towards accessories as well. Forking out for a special controller seemed unimportant when I wanted new games... but, for example, now that I'm sitting down & playing that copy of Ogre Battle 64, a Hori minipad suddenly seems like a sound investment for my hand comfort. It's been an interesting, but enjoyable, change of pace.