Author Topic: Using Hardware Vs. Using (Legit) Emulation For Older Games  (Read 1853 times)

sworddude

Re: Using Hardware Vs. Using (Legit) Emulation For Older Games
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 02:43:01 pm »
After modding my PS1 classic and comparing the difference between playing on that and using my PS1 discs I don't think i'll ever go back to playing PS1 games on the PS3. It really is night and day! I bought many USA PS1 releases off the PS Store too - Xenogears, Parasite Eve etc.

to be fair, ps1 games looks way worse on a ps3 it's bad emulation on a ps3. ps1 and ps2 is original hardware ps3 is emulation even though it uses the original discs

Still at the end of the day if you want a nice image on original hardware you got to have nice cables preferably a crt it's allot more work. but ps1 games look much better on a ps2 or ps1 even with av compared to ps3. ps3 is one of the worst ways to play ps1 games.

Good Emulation will win out at the very end of the day but the differences ain't huge when nicely optimized on og hardware. colors are a bit less with emulation though.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 05:55:37 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 01:48:14 pm »

[...] SMB is unplayable on emulation.

You seriously lost me there...

He's right. That's the exact game that throws me completely off in emulation. I know how that game feels. I never die on it. On a Retron 5 the input lag was incredibly apparent on SMB, I was dying left and right

I’m glad I’m not the only one. It’s just games I’m good at. I can’t hardly play Contra or Punch-Out!! On emulation either.

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2020, 01:50:47 pm »

[...] SMB is unplayable on emulation.

You seriously lost me there...

He's right. That's the exact game that throws me completely off in emulation. I know how that game feels. I never die on it. On a Retron 5 the input lag was incredibly apparent on SMB, I was dying left and right

I’m glad I’m not the only one. It’s just games I’m good at. I can’t hardly play Contra or Punch-Out!! On emulation either.

what about emulation on a lagless pc screen. I don't think emulation is at vault here with the correct pc screen. for fighting games in particular certain screens are a must for practice and vs matches competitive that is.

Some screens are more viable for frame perfect inputs than others.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

bizzarnage

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 04:32:14 am »
In all honesty, I've never been shy about modding a console and pushing it's limits to see what I can emulate and how well, but for some reason I just still prefer to do it on a console. For some things, I won't look anywhere further than my PC (Exclusives, Fightcade, harder emulation). I think it's honestly a great thing to do bc realistically, archiving software is a big must. But as far as quality, I think emulation is a must sometimes. Ever drives are great, but.. them prices tho. And as much as I love collecting, $300 for Cubivore ain't ever gonna happen.

The backwards ps3 can't play all PS2 games and honestly, PS1 can run a lot sharper and faster than it does on the systems that make it available. Same can be said for the PS2. Original hardware optimization for new tv's is a drag and a costly one at that, so I think there shouldn't be any shame to accepting Emulation as a great alternative for experiencing games in a convenient and optimal way.
Do I look like I celebrate Festivus? 依ヴど疫 ヺ び慰

pzeke

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 11:29:25 am »
[...] I think there shouldn't be any shame to accepting Emulation as a great alternative for experiencing games in a convenient and optimal way.

I couldn't agree more. Back then emulation was near taboo, it used to have a bad connotation and anybody that did it was stigmatized. Nowadays it's quite common, especially with platforms like Twitch where more often than not you'll have people emulating games, whether they disclose it or not. Not to mention how barefaced many are in regards to the topic given the plethora of options available.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!