Author Topic: Super Mario World VS Sonic the Hedgehog  (Read 5217 times)

aliensstudios

Super Mario World VS Sonic the Hedgehog
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:26:20 am »
VS
These are two of the greatest platforming titles of all time as well as the killer apps for their respective consoles. Which of these two classics do you like better? The tried and true Super Mario formula that was nearly perfected in Super Mario World, or the fast and furious gameplay of Sega's edgy blue hedgehog? I am very curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject.

Also, I've got another video to shamelessly plug: https://youtu.be/3E6HVC4CmHc - Check it out if you feel so inclined.
Otherwise, let's have a discussion!
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

hexen

Re: Super Mario World VS Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 12:09:35 pm »
As much as I love Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario World is miles ahead. Both where important to me, and I think they may have been the first 2 games I ever played (My daycare center had them when I was 5 or 6). Super Mario World just had a lot more to do, more variety, a more complex method of playing the game (all the secret levels and whatnot) and when I finally got my first system it was SNES over Genesis in no small part thanks to Super Mario World being the better game (I had beaten Sonic at the daycare, but never had enough time to find everything in SMW).

All three Genesis Sonic games probably can't compete with just SMW, but Sonic 2 has one of my all-time favorite soundtracks so it has that going for it.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 12:10:24 pm »
I got a Sega Genesis in 1992 and grew up on Sonic so I am a bit biased towards it. I didn't get a SNES until around 1995, and still didn't end up playing Super Mario World until around 2010. Having played both reletively recently I still prefer all 4 main Sonic games on the Genesis to Super Mario World.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »
Is there even a comparison? 

Super Mario World is arguably the best game of all time.  It's definitely in the Top 10.  Sonic might crack the top 100.

Super Mario World for sure

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 12:21:01 pm »
Super Mario World 4 lyfe.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 01:24:49 pm »
I prefer sonic to mario world but if the comparison was between yoshi's island and sonic it would be a different story.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 01:35:52 pm »
Oops, my first post was comparing the entire series. My bad.

Even just comparing these two games individually, Super Mario World wins by far. Super Mario World is arguably the best Mario game ever made.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:39:21 pm by burningdoom »

kashell

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:38:21 pm »

Super Mario World is arguably the best game of all time.  It's definitely in the Top 10.  Sonic might crack the top 100.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

It's like asking if you would rather have a pizza with your favorite toppings or a piece of celery.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 01:43:58 pm »

I couldn't have said it better myself.

It's like asking if you would rather have a pizza with your favorite toppings or a piece of celery.
This is a fantastic analogy. 

Sonic does equal celery.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 01:46:13 pm »
Super Mario World

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 01:54:36 pm »
I think by default, Mario was always better than Sonic, no matter the game.  I like Sonic, but I find that most of the time when you are playing the games, its just comes up to chance on your progression and relies heavy on memorizing levels so you aren't just blindly running into crap.  Something like Super Mario World is incredibly well done platforming and there's a lot to that games design that I love.  It's easily my favorite of all the 2D Mario games.

I have nostalgic feels for the old Genesis Sonic games, but I don't think I ever really loved playing one till like...Sonic Generations lol

doafan

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 02:13:11 pm »
Without a doubt my answer is Super Mario World but if you ask my daughter am pretty sure that she will pick Sonic instead of Mario  :P

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 02:23:17 pm »
VS
These are two of the greatest platforming titles of all time as well as the killer apps for their respective consoles. Which of these two classics do you like better? The tried and true Super Mario formula that was nearly perfected in Super Mario World, or the fast and furious gameplay of Sega's edgy blue hedgehog? I am very curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject.

Also, I've got another video to shamelessly plug: https://youtu.be/3E6HVC4CmHc - Check it out if you feel so inclined.
Otherwise, let's have a discussion!

Awesome video :D.    Yet again a very entertaining match up with great commentary.  :)

As a whole i feel almost ungamer to say it or as i am committing a sin to some game god of some sort but i really don't care for Sonic on Sega Genesis. I really don't care for sonic as a side scroller in general.  *Runs to avoid angry mob  :)   lol. 

But yeah,  i don't like Sonic as much as Mario in general. I love Sonic colors and Sonic rush and sonic lost world.   all are incredible games but in general most of the typical side scrolling sonic games from the 16 bit era were just boring to me and had poor plot, level design and replay value.    I most certainly agree that the sound track was better but i consider super mario world to be a top 10 game of all time while Sonic 1 might not even be top 100 for me.  It is a good game and i am happy to own it but Sonic 2 was light years better and even that wasn't quite my bag of chips.   I love some of the newer sonic games which is the opposite for most folk who love the old ones and hate the new ones but i really do like sonic colors and sonic lost world quite a bit more. 

Super Mario world is my favorite SNES game of all time and that is saying a whole lot because the system was so great.  it is also my favorite side scroller Mario of all time.  A pinacle of excellence and the peek of nintendo engineering.  A chunk of my childhood balled up with a bow for consumption.  A game i will almost never vote against. 

Sonic is probably the same to many people but i just never found the groove in my soul where Sonic fell into.  It might come from not playing it as a kid and being a SNES household or something  :).   

#TeamSuperMarioWorld

:D

doafan

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 02:35:51 pm »
Awesome video :D.    Yet again a very entertaining match up with great commentary.  :)

No offense man but honestly when I saw/replied to this thread totally got the idea that you started it so right now when I saw your reply my first reaction was Why the hell is he replying to himself ? ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 02:37:07 pm »
Super Mario World totally wins, but come on...celery? Sonic is still way more fun than celery.