Author Topic: Super Mario World VS Sonic the Hedgehog  (Read 5305 times)

kashell

Re: Super Mario World VS Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 03:36:43 pm »
Sonic is celery. I'm not talking ants-on-a log celery, either. This is celery sans peanut butter and raisins.

aliensstudios

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 03:41:55 pm »
VS
These are two of the greatest platforming titles of all time as well as the killer apps for their respective consoles. Which of these two classics do you like better? The tried and true Super Mario formula that was nearly perfected in Super Mario World, or the fast and furious gameplay of Sega's edgy blue hedgehog? I am very curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject.

Also, I've got another video to shamelessly plug: https://youtu.be/3E6HVC4CmHc - Check it out if you feel so inclined.
Otherwise, let's have a discussion!

Awesome video :D.    Yet again a very entertaining match up with great commentary.  :)

As a whole i feel almost ungamer to say it or as i am committing a sin to some game god of some sort but i really don't care for Sonic on Sega Genesis. I really don't care for sonic as a side scroller in general.  *Runs to avoid angry mob  :)   lol. 

But yeah,  i don't like Sonic as much as Mario in general. I love Sonic colors and Sonic rush and sonic lost world.   all are incredible games but in general most of the typical side scrolling sonic games from the 16 bit era were just boring to me and had poor plot, level design and replay value.    I most certainly agree that the sound track was better but i consider super mario world to be a top 10 game of all time while Sonic 1 might not even be top 100 for me.  It is a good game and i am happy to own it but Sonic 2 was light years better and even that wasn't quite my bag of chips.   I love some of the newer sonic games which is the opposite for most folk who love the old ones and hate the new ones but i really do like sonic colors and sonic lost world quite a bit more. 

Super Mario world is my favorite SNES game of all time and that is saying a whole lot because the system was so great.  it is also my favorite side scroller Mario of all time.  A pinacle of excellence and the peek of nintendo engineering.  A chunk of my childhood balled up with a bow for consumption.  A game i will almost never vote against. 

Sonic is probably the same to many people but i just never found the groove in my soul where Sonic fell into.  It might come from not playing it as a kid and being a SNES household or something  :).   

#TeamSuperMarioWorld

:D
Thanks for watching, I appreciate that!
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

aliensstudios

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 03:43:26 pm »
Is there even a comparison? 

Super Mario World is arguably the best game of all time.  It's definitely in the Top 10.  Sonic might crack the top 100.

Super Mario World for sure

I couldn't have said it better myself.

It's like asking if you would rather have a pizza with your favorite toppings or a piece of celery.
Ha! I wouldn't go that far but yeah I can see where that mindset comes from. Mario blood runs deep lol.

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 04:09:47 pm »
Genesis does what Nintendont people

hexen

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 07:08:07 pm »

Yup, like suck* and become a vegetable hooked up to life support!

*The Genesis doesn't suck, it just sucks when compared to the SNES in any way
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 02:32:21 am »

*The Genesis doesn't suck, it just sucks when compared to the SNES in any way

Pound for pound, the Genesis has just as many gems on it as the SNES, maybe more. And if we're bringing up the Sega CD and 32X, there are even more excellent games you could throw in Sega's corner. Hardly a sucky consoles when compared to any console imo.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 10:22:41 am »
^ The way I see it: Sega Genesis has more good games than the SNES, overall. Sega was constantly putting out a stream of solid games during the Genesis years. You always had a Sonic game on the horizon or one of Sega's arcade hits.

However, while the SNES may have less in quantity when it comes to good games, the all-time classic masterpieces that it produced makes up for it. Games like Super Metroid, LoZ: Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, and Chrono Trigger. Games that are still brought up to this day when discussing the greatest games of all-time. Quality over quantity.

Both systems are essential to any retro-gamer's collection, though. Two of the best consoles ever created. Something that will never happen again, unfortunately. The gaming industry is just to damn buddy-buddy in the modern-day to garner the kind of competition Sega and Nintendo had (which pushed them to do their best).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:38:17 am by burningdoom »

ferraroso

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 11:08:50 am »
Great video!
But I would choose Sonic games over any of Mario's! (Well, in the 90's at least... Haha)

soera

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 04:10:08 pm »
Sonic is celery. I'm not talking ants-on-a log celery, either. This is celery sans peanut butter and raisins.

Im not sure a more precise thing has ever graced the interwebs.

kashell

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 04:15:46 pm »

See? Celery.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 07:19:37 pm »
Count me in the no contest camp.

Sonic is fine.  It's fun, and pretty good first game in the series, but Super Mario World is practically the peak of 2D platforming, and is a more well designed, better balanced, more complete game.  You could maybe -MAYBE- have a discussion if you were talking about Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but Sonic 1 vs SMW?  No even a contest.

hexen

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 08:45:48 pm »
Pound for pound, the Genesis has just as many gems on it as the SNES, maybe more. And if we're bringing up the Sega CD and 32X, there are even more excellent games you could throw in Sega's corner. Hardly a sucky consoles when compared to any console imo.

Imagine the laugh in your head, because you can't embed videos.
You know the laugh.

Pound for pound the Genesis vs. the SNES is like putting a featherweight boxer against a LITERALLY GODZILLA. The SNES is overflowing with ultra classics that are still referenced as comparisons today, while the Genesis is mostly known for that one hedgehog guy who's terrible now. This is for two reasons: Nintendo's legendary first party games, and the fact that SNES had all the RPGs.

Nintendo's first party line up is so full of heavy hitters that it alone knocks out the Genesis library. Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Kirby's Super Star, Starfox, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. This isn't even mentioning things that where more or less first party at the time, like the Megaman X Games.

When it comes to RPGs... do you hear people talking about Phantasy Star III being one of the best of all time... or Final Fantasy III (IV)? There is nothing wrong with the Phantasy Star games, I enjoy them, but TALK about being overshadowed both in terms of popularity and quality. Final Fantasy II & III, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire I & II, Lufia II, Secret of Mana, all huge hitters. It also had many more lesser or niche RPGs (Soul Blazer Series, Secret of Evermore, Lufia & the Fortress of Doom, Ogre Battle, etc.) which alone made up 5x the library of Genesis' total RPG library.

Individual gems... of boy. Again, the Genesis is buried in a landslide of SNES greatness. ActRaiser 1 & 2, Demon's Crest, E.V.O., Harvest Moon, etc... countless others. Now, what is qualified as a gem is hard to define, but the variety was just so much higher on SNES.

Another big category where SNES pretty much dominates is similar or shared games:
Hyperstone Heist vs. Turtles in Time - SNES
Castlevania IV Vs. Bloodlines - SNES
Contra III Vs. Hard Corps - SNES
Furthmore, in most cases where a game multi-platform it was usually better on the SNES.

With Fighting games although Genesis got the head start by not censoring blood, when the SNES followed suit it was the superior Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter system because of it's controller design.

Compared to the SNES... I honestly have a hard time writing up too much about the Genesis.

It's ultra classics are only a handful, and I am a bit reluctant to call them as such because a lot feel more like gems rather than things people remember from the time. Consider this a list of the best Genesis classics & gems combined because Sonic is 95% of what people remember: Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, Gunstar Heroes, Rocket Knight Adventures, Shining Force 1 & 2, ToeJam & Earl, Earthworm Jim 1 & 2, Phantasy Star II-IV, Verctorman 1 & 2, Sparkster, Ristar, Comix Zone.

Some extra thoughts:
I think they are about equal, but Genesis Aladdin is usually considered better, an extra point I'd give to Genesis
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 is better on Genesis as it was where it was originally intended to be
Sparkster on both consoles where great so I don't wanna give either console an edge on their unique versions
Some Shoot 'em ups where better on Genesis with more levels, as was Lost Vikings, though only SNES got the second one.
Both systems had a ton of mediocre to pretty good random platformers, but I feel SNES vastly overshadows Genesis in quality and uniqueness overall
32X & Sega CD... you 4 reelz, son? That adds about 3.5 good games.

In the end, opinion is opinion, and liking the Genesis more is just fine. However, I am trying to judge them on a level of public opinion and overall importance. Everytime someone is writing a top 100 games ever list you have a dozen SNES games butting heads for spots in the top 10, often filling at least 3-4 spots, where as you might have Sonic 2 or Gunstar Heroes somewhere in the 50s to 30s. On top of having so many games, the SNES was just in most ways a superior system in terms of hardware and capability, which led it's games to be much more daring and take much greater technological leaps. We individuals of the era will always be Mario and Sonic trying to one up each other, coming full circle to the point of this thread, but in the eyes of history, Mario and his SNES seems to have crushingly won. This doesn't make the Genesis not a great console, it has it's own flavor and unique software that make it worth owning alongside the SNES. However, I find it hard to argue from a rational position the Genesis changed gaming the same way the SNES & it's library did.

TL;DR
"Nu uh, SNES is totally better then Genesis!"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:04:33 pm by hexen »
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

maximo310

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 09:18:39 pm »
Most of the stuff worth getting on Sega CD/32X got better ports in the saturn/ps1 era ( including some shmup ports).
In addition, playing the classic Sonic trilogy on Steam is a better experience, as it fixes two big problems: the slowdown w/ too many rings and the screen size.  Sonic 2/3 are probably stronger games to compare with SMW, especially on the OST front and level design.

In addition, the Genesis's strength is mostly having better action games. However, when it comes to RPG's, the Genesis gets slaughtered in comparison, and that's where I think SNES takes a slight lead overall.

aliensstudios

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 10:42:25 pm »
I'm still wondering how Sonic the Hedgehog managed to process all of that blast...

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 11:48:13 pm »
I already Played Sonic the Hedgehog in my life but never beaten it, and I never played super Mario world. but super Mario world looks more fun than sonic in my own opinion. I really are not vary good at platformers. The only 2D platformers video game I ever beaten is Duke Nukem 1, and 2. I have super Mario Brothers for NES and I still have yet to beat it. Platformers, are usually not my favorite type of game I am a sports gamer freak mostly. I like games like Golf Soccor/football, I love Hockey, I like baseball, american footbal,l and basketball, and racing.

I don't like the sonic level design or what I saw in the video of Super Mario World. I really don't like how challengeing most platformers are and it is easy to get frustrated at platformers. There is somthing about sports games that I love. and it keeps my hooked.

I never was athletic but always wanted to be. I was always bullied in school (even by the teachers) and never was able to do anything but go off alone at recess. :(
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"