Author Topic: What game console has the best name? Which do you think is the worst?  (Read 2864 times)

My favorite console name is the  Neo Geo X.   It sound's like a robot cyborg created by some good guy that ends up getting corrupted to be bad and becomes the main antagonist of a 80's sci fi film lol.  It's so satisfying to say.  It sounds so modern and clean.  Sounds like something the Jetsons would have. :D.     I also like the Nintendo GameCube :). Its simple and cute.    And some obvious ones like the Turbografx and Atari Jaguar.   Very aggressive sounding machines.

For worst i would go with Nintendo Dolphin. Although it was Pre production prototype unreleased name.  I am really greatful that they didn't actually go with that.  It made literally no sense and i remember cringing at the idea of it lol.  It makes me cringe just reading it. :D

I also don't fancy all the consoles with a string of numbers that come after the companies name.  They are typically unimaginative.  Nintendo 64,  Atari 2600,  atari 5200,  atari 7800 ect... 

Which names are the most catchy or cool to you?

Which do you not like?  :)

hexen

Older consoles has awesome names that made them sound futuristic: Arcadia 2001, and Astrocade are two of my favorites. I also like the Intellivision's name a lot.

Worst name has to go out to mah bois at Nintendo with the Wii, which was further out-badded by the Wii U.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The Fairchild Channel F has to be the worst.

WTF is that? If you didn't already know it was a console, you would have no clue. It sounds like HAM radio equipment.

azure

GameCube will always have my heart. As for worst I guess Wii U by default, don't really dislike any console names that I can think of at the moment.

kashell

Which names are the most catchy or cool to you?

Which do you not like?  :)

Sega Saturn sounds coolest to me. Even before I started gaming, I was fascinated by outer space. I really liked viewing photos of the other planets in our solar system, so having a console named after one is pretty damn cool. Also, I like alliteration.

The worst one is the Wii. Ugh.

Dreamcast and Playstation are my favorite =) Least favorite is probably Genesis because i'm so used to call it mega drive that I just find it weird lol
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 04:45:20 pm by chrismb »

I'd say the Wii U is worst than the Wii by name.  It's two bad things in one lol

For best...Neo-Geo is actually a pretty great name.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Dreamcast and Playstation are my favorite =) Least favorite is probably Genesis because i'm so used to call it mega drive that I just find weird lol

Yeah, Dreamcast is pretty cool.

Wii U is the worst because it made so many people think that it was just another add-on for the Wii.

Wii U is the worst because it made so many people think that it was just another add-on for the Wii.
Favorite=Game Gear
Worst=Wii U

theflea

Best name.... Sega Dreamcast always sounded cool to me.

Worst name... I can name a few. lol

- Gamate

- Mega Duck

- Dick Smith Wizzard

"Happy game hunting!!!"

ferraroso

It is so difficult to pick up only one...All Sega consoles after the SG-1000 have great names:
Mark III/Master System
Mega Drive (Genesis not so much)
Dreamcast
Game Gear
Nomad

...but for now I will choose Saturn. It is AWESOME!

And, of course, the worst has to be the Wii U.

I'm not really a Sega fan but I do like their system names. Dreamcast is probably my favorite.
There's plenty of bad or questionable names. Mega Duck, FM Towns Marty

soera

Worst has to be the Xbox One ... cause calling the 3rd console the One makes a whole lot of sense.

Best name.... Sega Dreamcast always sounded cool to me.

Worst name... I can name a few. lol

- Gamate

- Mega Duck

- Dick Smith Wizzard
Haha yes! I thought of the Mega Duck too! wasn't it known in South America as the "Cougar Boy"?