Author Topic: Is The N64 Expansion Chip worth it? lets have a conversation  (Read 5372 times)

Is The N64 Expansion Chip worth it? lets have a conversation
« on: April 04, 2017, 01:05:05 am »
WIKI INFO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_accessories#Expansion_Pak_.28NUS-007.29

I bought my N64 from Amazon about a year back with the red upgraded graphics chip already installed for $30.00 total and already installed  not knowing what to expect.

I used to just have the jumper required black chip in my older Nintendo 64 expansion bay.

to compare the 2, I can't say the red performance chip  change the gameplay much. But the graphics are definitely are a lot better in comparison. A few of my games that were made  later automatically tell me that it reads the chip when I start the game up.  all in all the the N64 does need either the black chip or the upgraded red chip inside it's expansion bay. In order to run the game. Without at least the black RAM chip in the N64's  expansion bay the game console will not work.

In short I'd say you should get this red RAM chip it .does make a lot of N64 titles run faster with higher fame rates on some of the games off the wiki link. But I would not buy this chip by itself it is much more convenience, to get this red chip installed already before you buy a used N64 console the next link is are videos that shows it purpose.

Also you need to know that more RAM means less game lag. So, if you want to learn about this special chip further watch the follow videos, I did not make the videos but they are good proof of what I am trying to say. remember a black jumper pack is Ok but in my opinion the Red Expansion chip is like giving the n64 a boost of almost early PS2 graphics. But that is my opinion from personal experience. but it is expensive currently and JJ games is the only selling that google is telling me. good to add to anyone N64 collection but better to buy one with it installed already.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 01:24:07 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Is The N64 Expansion Chip worth it? lets have a conversation
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:20:54 am »
The Expansion Pak is required for a few games.  Donkey Kong 64, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and Perfect Dark are the ones that come to mind.  Perfect dark will come on, but the single player isn't accessible. 

It also improves the performance of several games like Spider-Man or Rogue Squadron.  In those, it removes some of that N64 fog and ups the resolution.  In Gauntlet Legends and Hydro Thunder, the Expansion Pak allows 3 and 4 player multiplayer. 

It's not that important for just playing the hits, but it does make the game better and I always have an Expansion Pak in my N64.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:01:13 am »
I believe it'd be worth it, though I did receive my 64 for free with the red chip already in it and DK64 included. I always like upgrades for exclusive games though. I even bought a N3DS when I already had a 3DS.

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 11:37:40 am »
I believe it'd be worth it, though I did receive my 64 for free with the red chip already in it and DK64 included. I always like upgrades for exclusive games though. I even bought a N3DS when I already had a 3DS.
I still can't bring myself to make the splash and buy a N3DS. The titles that are out so far: Runbow, Xenoblade 3D, and Binding of Isaac are available on other consoles and usually run better on those systems too. Even the upcoming Fire Emblem Warriors is coming to the N3DS and the Switch, I just don't see the point atm unless they are going to make it the standard for the rest of the 3DS's life cycle.
I got lucky with my N64 expansion, I bought my system at a used game store when I was 12 (it was 25 bucks with a controller and all of the hookups back in 2007) and they told me no expansion pack was included. Lo and behold I get home and there was an expansion pack nestled in the slot, good times. It's one of those upgrades that is pretty much a necessity to get the most out of your console.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

azure

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 12:56:02 pm »
Wow are the N64 expansion paks really that pricey? I was given my N64 back in the day by a relative, and it came with the expansion pak. Anyway, I would say it's worth it for the extra power on the titles that utilize it. And the fact that some games need the expansion to function of course, that intern extends the playable library of your N64.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 01:00:33 pm »
Wow are the N64 expansion paks really that pricey? I was given my N64 back in the day by a relative, and it came with the expansion pak. Anyway, I would say it's worth it for the extra power on the titles that utilize it. And the fact that some games need the expansion to function of course, that intern extends the playable library of your N64.
They're still around $20, jjgames is just whack.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 03:11:05 pm »
They're still around $20, jjgames is just whack.

JJ games used to be a good deal, (edit) most times
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:31:12 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 09:55:31 pm »
In StarCraft 64 it allows you to play the Brood Wars levels (basically the 2nd half of the game). It also allows you to play 2 player split screen.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 07:51:10 pm »
I always found it bizarre that the third party expansions packs available on the market are either the same or even more expensive than used genuine Nintendo ones. I have no ideal why anyone would take a chance buying one of those cheap third party ones if there’s not a substantial price break.

Has anyone tried one of those third party ones? I’ve always heard people say that some games freeze and not work correctly with them.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 01:46:29 pm »
^ That's all I had in mine. It worked fine. It was a Nyko Expansion Pak.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 03:43:21 pm »
Thread bump Friday 12-20-2019. I still highly recommend the more powerful red expansion chip compared to the normal black stock chips or any third party expansion chip.

If you don't already know each and every Nintendo 64 console you buy. Should have a compartment toward the top front of the console called the (expansion bay). with a small cartridge inside, with normally either a black or red colored top, the black chip is the normal stock chip and the red one usually is the upgraded RAM cartridge,

You absolutely must have either of those cartridge chips inside the console or the Nintendo 64 will not work at all. along with a game cartridge in the game slot of course.

Like others have stated on here the red expansion chip is worth it and I heard that games like Donky Kong 64 will not work or play if you only have the black expansion chip, So the red chip is highly recommended by me as well.

NO APPS NEEDED