Author Topic: Sega Saturn vs Neo Geo CD vs Turbo Grafx 16?  (Read 3243 times)

Sega Saturn vs Neo Geo CD vs Turbo Grafx 16?
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:55:19 pm »
Which of these 3 consoles would you say is the best for someone who is new to collecting for these? :)

I plan on buying a new obscure console that i have never tried before.  I think i am leaning towards Sega Saturn more because of it's library and because it's a beloved Sega console. And i have someone who has a spare willing to trade me it.  but i am not very knowledgable of these 3 systems.   I really want something that i am unfamiliar with to experience a new console of gaming and open new doors and have more titles to play.   Something i didn't have as a kid but something that is a must try. :)

All 3 have fairly expensive games but it seems like TG16 is extremely expensive when compared to the other two.  But i am willing to save up if it is truly worth it.   Is it only good for top down shooters?  Or does it have diversity and variety?

Is Sonic R good for SS?  It is a title that is really speaking to me and making me want SS.   Does SS have great platformers and action adventure games?

Which has better graphics SS or Neo Geo CD?  :D

Thanks for any help :)

maximo310

Re: Sega Saturn vs Neo Geo CD vs Turbo Grafx 16?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:27:41 pm »
If you have loads of money, Sega Saturn. The library ( including imports) is pretty robust, and covers arcade ports just as well or even better than the other two systems.

But for new collectors, neither of these three are a good choice. PS2 is probably much better than those based on library and cost alone.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:25:54 am by maximo310 »

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 08:55:28 pm »
In this order
Saturn
Turbo Grafix 16
Neo Geo CD
But none of these are east to collect for or cheap

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:40:04 pm »
Sega Saturn hands down. The other two can't even compete.

kashell

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:03:45 am »
Sega Saturn gets my vote.

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:26:24 am »
I want a Turbo SO BAD. It's like a shmup machine!

ferraroso

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 09:51:31 am »
First of all, I have all the 3 and love them equally.

I live in Japan, so it is considerably easier and cheaper to collect for all the three consoles here than it is in the West.
But if you live in the US, maybe you should first ask yourself how do you intend to build your collection. What region do you intend to collect for?
The Neo Geo CD has no region locks and the Saturn can become region-free with the use of a simple (and not so expensive) cartridge. On the other hand, the TurboGrafx 16 is far from import-friendly as it needs an adaptor (that is getting rarer and more expensive everyday) to run Japanese games.
If you have easy and cheap access to retro games at flea markets, or good-wills, for example, both the TurboGrafx 16 and the NeoGeo CD can be good options as they both have awesome games and can be very fun to collect for. But or if you intend to buy imports, I would recommend a Japanese Saturn or a Western model with the region unlocking cartridge, as the Saturn's Japanese library is fairily large and unexpensive when compared with the US. A game like Panzer Dragoon RPG that does not go for less than half a thousand dollars can be found in Japan for around 10 bucks.

In terms of graphics, there is no comparison. Although being very competent in 2D, both the NeoGeo CD and the TurboGrafx 16 are unable to handle 3D, while the Saturn is, in some aspects, even more powerful than the first PlayStation in both 2D and 3D. Also, the Saturn has a varied library that goes from shooters to RPGs and from FPSs to platformers while the Neo Geo CD is also almost exclusively focused in fighting games and beat 'em ups.

And, when rationally thinking about it, I consider Sonic R to be garbage, but I cannot hope but love its soundtrack and all the cheesiness of mid-90's Sega.

ferraroso

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 10:02:01 am »
I want a Turbo SO BAD. It's like a shmup machine!
Even though I recommended him the Saturn, I find the TurboGrafx 16 to be an awesome machine and, maybe, the most underrated console in history...
I've never played on a US Turbo, but I've had the opportunity to try many of the Japanese models and, if possible, I would recommend you to get a PC-Engine Duo-R as it is VERY reliable and can play any PC-Engine CD games (with the exception of the 11 games released to be used exclusively with the aid of the Arcade CD-ROM² card) with the advantage of using the same gamepad as the previous models (which the RX model needs an adaptor for). It is a formidable system and, in my opinion, has the best composite cable quality of any video game system.

shepard11

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 10:39:31 am »
I really love my Sega Saturn. Neo Geo CD has some great titles itself but I don't own one for varies reasons.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 12:04:55 pm »

If you have easy and cheap access to retro games at flea markets, or good-wills, for example, both the TurboGrafx 16 and the NeoGeo CD can be good options as they both have awesome games and can be very fun to collect for.

I'm pretty sure that both systems mentioned are pretty rare in The US or Europe let alone finding any games at all for those systems at a garage sale or fleamarket, nobody has them systems even though especially neo geo cd games aren't to expensive even the english box versions.

Are there many thrift stores and fleamarkets in Japan to aquire games for those systems?
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 12:17:49 pm »

If you have easy and cheap access to retro games at flea markets, or good-wills, for example, both the TurboGrafx 16 and the NeoGeo CD can be good options as they both have awesome games and can be very fun to collect for.

I'm pretty sure that both systems mentioned are pretty rare in The US or Europe let alone finding any games at all for those systems at a garage sale or fleamarket, nobody has them systems even though especially neo geo cd games aren't to expensive even the english box versions.

Are there many thrift stores and fleamarkets in Japan to aquire games for those systems?
Yeah I don't know about in Europe but all three are hard to find in the wild.  Sega Saturn being uncommon at best, Turbo Grafx 16 I have only seen in game stores, and Neo Geo CD I have never even seen in person.  So I don't really think any of these can be considered reasonable price wise or just stumbling across them in the wild.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 12:41:39 pm »

Yeah I don't know about in Europe but all three are hard to find in the wild.  Sega Saturn being uncommon at best, Turbo Grafx 16 I have only seen in game stores, and Neo Geo CD I have never even seen in person.  So I don't really think any of these can be considered reasonable price wise or just stumbling across them in the wild.

Pretty hard to find in europe as well, especially in flea markets and garage sales, however at least there is a small chance of finding sega saturn stuff in the wild. There is pretty much no chance at all finding the other 2 console games in the wild.

Even online it is pretty hard to find any games for these systems outside of ebay especially the non saturn games.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:00:08 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Flashback2012

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 02:02:22 pm »
Which of these 3 consoles would you say is the best for someone who is new to collecting for these? :)

I plan on buying a new obscure console that i have never tried before.  I think i am leaning towards Sega Saturn more because of it's library and because it's a beloved Sega console. And i have someone who has a spare willing to trade me it.  but i am not very knowledgeable of these 3 systems.   I really want something that i am unfamiliar with to experience a new console of gaming and open new doors and have more titles to play.   Something i didn't have as a kid but something that is a must try. :)

All 3 have fairly expensive games but it seems like TG16 is extremely expensive when compared to the other two.  But i am willing to save up if it is truly worth it.   Is it only good for top down shooters?  Or does it have diversity and variety?

Is Sonic R good for SS?  It is a title that is really speaking to me and making me want SS.   Does SS have great platformers and action adventure games?

Which has better graphics SS or Neo Geo CD?  :D

Thanks for any help :)

Not to start a fight or tell you how to spend your money but if you're trying to start up collections for these systems in 2017 then you're going to be in for a rough time. Prices have gone through the roof because of the rush of specullectors who migrated from the NES and SNES markets after they ruined them. I was just checking eBay for a couple of games that could be had for $100 up to $200 at the most 5-10 years ago that are now commanding $700-$1000.  :o

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned the emulation route yet considering you seem like you're more interested in the playing of these games (though I'm sure you'd like to collect if you could). A used TG16 console shouldn't be too expensive to find and with that you could get a Turbo Ever Drive. For Neo CD, the games are Neo cart titles so Mame might be better suited for you in that regard plus there's no loading times. As far as Saturn goes, there's the Rhea though I honestly don't know much about it. Domestic titles can be found in game stores but expect to pay and if you go the import route, expect to REALLY pay.  :P

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 02:06:16 pm »
TurboGrafx-16, because their shoot-em up selection is awesome, and I love me a good shoot-em up.

ferraroso

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 08:08:54 pm »

Fleamarkets and garage sales are very unusual in Japan, but some people sell their used stuff during festivals or in carnivals. However, Japan is a paradise for those who like thrift stores. There are lots of great Recycle Shops (as they call it) in which you can find the best deals (I found Darius Gaiden and Einhänder in the same shop for less than 1 dollar each, for example).
Apart from that, there is a huge chain of stores called Book Off and Hard Off (yes, that is the name... haha) that are specialized in selling used books/CDs/DVDs and forniture/audio/video in which you can find both retro games for very decent and reasonable prices and usually cheaper than in internet auction sites or reselers. Usually they know exactly what they are selling, but sometimes you can find some pretty good deals in their bargain bins such as Earthworm Jim 2 for the Saturn for less than 2 bucks.
It is a very "collect-friendly" country to live in.