Author Topic: Can these items be uploaded to site?  (Read 602 times)

jjfly

Can these items be uploaded to site?
« on: May 01, 2017, 05:10:04 pm »
1. I own demo discs that originally came with computer magazines such at Enter, Microbitti and Kompuutteri. Can these be uploaded as their own items.

2. Programs that are not games? Where this site draw line how "gamy" program has to be?
I personally own:

• Helsinki Media: Encyclopedia
  • Microsoft: Dangerous Animals
  • Attica Interactive Atlas
  • Corel Draw
  • Road map of Finland
  • It's me multimedia Dogs
  • Kompuutteri: 10 Free web-tool <- came with book: Make your own web page
  • Finnish Birds
Any thoughts? 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:17:07 pm by jjfly »

hexen

Re: Can these items be uploaded to site?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:55:19 pm »
As long as those demo discs are demos for games, I think they are just fine to add. As for the others... there is a bit of a grey area in certain software for mostly game consoles (CD-I for example), but for the PC which is very broad I would personally say that those do not qualify. I am not an official source here, so don't take my word as gospel, but I personally would not add those.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

ferraroso

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:49:38 pm »
I would guess that those items do not qualify to be added to the site's database, however if, the other way around, they are programs designed to be used in videogame consoles such as Family BASIC for the Famicom, Netflix (released only in Brazil as a bootable disc) for the PS2 or OtherOS (Linux) for the PS3, I believe they can be added to this site.
But this is just my guess...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:53:20 am by ferraroso »

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 10:34:16 am »
Currently the only PC titles we want is games and edutainment.

I have plenty of software in my own collection that is not in the db because it does not fit the scope of the site. Perhaps some day they can be added, but general PC software collectors are in such a minority and not at all like game collectors that it is difficult to see how it would be useful to store that type of information here to be worthwhile.

For magazine discs, providing they include a game, can be put into this category:
https://vgcollect.com/browse/pcdemo