Author Topic: Thoughts About Sharing A Game Collection For Games Not Money  (Read 1192 times)

If their ever comes a day, when we no longer use credits for to play or buy video games. how many of you would share your collections in a community library? or from your own home? If you knew by doing so you could play others collection as well?

I run a Facebook page. I am also a christian teacher. 2 posts explain how life can do just fine and not require any cash or credit.

If one day in our lifetime where everyone gave and worked for their community and shared instead of buying and selling to others. and where everyone was equal.

I would. You can call this a pipe dream? but if you only knew my whole story and knowledge. Just imagine we all took off in a man made spacecraft, and then all of our games were added to the star ship's main computer. and everyone would have access to the main database for free and could play on a variety of controllers. how would this sound to you
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:08:18 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Thoughts About Sharing A Game Collection For Games Not Money
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:18:37 pm »
Sounds like a frightening communist dream world...  ;D

If only it were the case where everyone gave and worked for their community and did their part. Unfortunately it's a part of human nature to want to get the most with the least effort, and once people figure out that they will be given everything without needing to work for it, the whole system goes downhill.

That's sort of off topic of course, but in this scenario where value is eliminated from our collections, I'm sure many would be perfectly fine with uploading their games to this supposed main spacecraft computer. I don't think most people here collect these old things because we think they're worth a lot. For lots of us they represent a sort of mental time machine that can transport us to happy, simpler times in our lives. Even games that we didn't have as kids can give off a sentimental feeling of a different era. There's also a certain level of fun in simply creating a library full of excellent old carts, an itch that emulators can't quite scratch.

And then you'll have the one person who realizes that his rare game hasn't been made available on the main starship computer. Suddenly it's in demand! Do I hear 10 credits? 20 credits? Sold for 50 credits! :D

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 12:24:41 pm »
Sounds like a frightening communist dream world...  ;D

If only it were the case where everyone gave and worked for their community and did their part. Unfortunately it's a part of human nature to want to get the most with the least effort, and once people figure out that they will be given everything without needing to work for it, the whole system goes downhill.

That's sort of off topic of course, but in this scenario where value is eliminated from our collections, I'm sure many would be perfectly fine with uploading their games to this supposed main spacecraft computer. I don't think most people here collect these old things because we think they're worth a lot. For lots of us they represent a sort of mental time machine that can transport us to happy, simpler times in our lives. Even games that we didn't have as kids can give off a sentimental feeling of a different era. There's also a certain level of fun in simply creating a library full of excellent old carts, an itch that emulators can't quite scratch.

And then you'll have the one person who realizes that his rare game hasn't been made available on the main starship computer. Suddenly it's in demand! Do I hear 10 credits? 20 credits? Sold for 50 credits! :D

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Life isn't about getting things for free without any effort, it takes hard work.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 01:31:32 pm »
That was very thoughtful LordScott

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:47:33 pm »
Assuming that we had a magical supercomputer the games could be on, that anyone could access without taking the games from myself or others- wait, we have that. It's called emulation & ROMs.

Yes, it's a legal grey area... but it's so because companies don't want us to have infinite copies so they can make us buy the games again. In the magical scenario where we have moved past monetary value, the other big reason for ROMs becomes the driving force- preservation. Let's say 100 year from now, there is only 1 man with a working copy of Super Mario Bros. Nintendo got rid of the ROMs and all the other carts/discs/etc have decayed. If that man will not allow the ROM to be dumped, because he wants to have the famous rare Mario game- then it's as good as lost. Eventually something will happen to render that game unplayable, and a keystone of gaming history has vanished forever.

As a general rule, I support ROM dumps & emulation, despite the legal issues and despite not actively using them, because that is how we will preserve our favorite games for the future. When all the NESes and Ataris are nothing but rotting chips & broken plastic, it'll be the ROMs that show people why we played these games.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 02:52:48 pm »
That was very thoughtful Marv

XD

I couldn't resist.

rayne315

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 03:28:59 pm »
If im not mistaken something like this already exists. most of the trophie hunters on psn use a group trade system. I think its PS3imports.org or something like that. I have never used it but I believe it is a trading site for the sort of thing you are talking about.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 03:38:59 pm »
Assuming that we had a magical supercomputer the games could be on, that anyone could access without taking the games from myself or others- wait, we have that. It's called emulation & ROMs.

You can't emulate for current gen consoles at least not in the beginning and definitely not without flaws + you would need a very fast computer wich allot of people don't have or can't afford.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 05:57:45 pm »
Sharing has never worked out well for me, and that's sharing with friends and people I trust. Kind gestures are usually taken for granted, or not noticed at all.

The problem with games mostly, is that there is a limited number of copies, so not every has the chance to acquire one, even if they have the means. And I like it here on Earth, I also like private property. I'm a capitalist pig.