Author Topic: Ataribox  (Read 1211 times)

Ataribox
« on: July 17, 2017, 04:42:53 pm »
https://www.ataribox.com/

I didn't see another thread.  Hopefully I'm not duplicating one already started.

There are already a number of mini Ataris.  So what is this thing?  From what limited info I've read, it's supposed to have "classic and current" gaming connect  If it's going to a library of new games, I'm interested.
He's no good to me skinny.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Ataribox
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:36:32 pm »
The more I hear about it, the more interested I become.

I want someone else to enter the gaming market, a real gaming company. But personally, I've never been the biggest Atari fan. I was hoping it would be someone like Sega returning, or Capcom putting their hand in.

However with it starting to sound more and more like a real console, rather than a new Flashback-type system, I'm deciding to keep a close eye on things. Especially that line about not wanting to tease fans, but rather wanting to take it one step at a time so things are done right. That makes it really sound like this just might be something serious.

So I'm reluctantly interested.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:04:51 pm »
From the little bit of information on it, it sounds like it'll basically be the Ouya, but for Atari games, buying your games through an online marketplace.  There might be new stuff, but there's no telling what that really means.

exhuminator

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:12:03 pm »
It's gonna be an Android console for hipsters.

rayne315

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:50:54 am »
wait??? what??? I literally went through their entire annual report (in French, 80+ pages of it) trying to find costs going out enough to see if this was possible. not only was no money being lost to a void-ie project  that you would expect for R&D, but they were raking in money, the opposite of what you would expect for the kind of cost with making a new system. either they just started making this this fiscal year meaning its only a few months old, or they licensed it out to a different company which might explain their above average licensing profits. my guess is this is only going to play older games. but definitely nothing newer.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:56:05 am »
wait??? what??? I literally went through their entire annual report (in French, 80+ pages of it) trying to find costs going out enough to see if this was possible. not only was no money being lost to a void-ie project  that you would expect for R&D, but they were raking in money, the opposite of what you would expect for the kind of cost with making a new system. either they just started making this this fiscal year meaning its only a few months old, or they licensed it out to a different company which might explain their above average licensing profits. my guess is this is only going to play older games. but definitely nothing newer.
They explicitly stated "current" meaning either ports of current games or "new" games for the system.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 02:25:55 pm »
The only thing Atari released so far are the images. There aren't any slots to insert games other then an SD port. I'm guessing this is just an expandable memory slot.  The only other thing that was said was that it will have "modern" specs and be able to play today's games. What this means exactly is anyone's guess. Ports of console games, Android games, independent games? Who knows. Info about it will come with time, because they said they want to "do it right".

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:46:49 pm »
"Current games" meaning the 50th upgrade to Space Invaders, lol.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:03:12 am »
Wait, so IS the Atari Video game company making this/a new console? :o

this is news indeed. I'll just hope it is not another floppy console like the Jaguar, (their last attempt at making a console)

But I am fully aware that Atari is still a video game manufacturer. They have been making PC games for a while now Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 to be one of them
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 02:05:31 pm »
So At Games announced a new Atari Flashback console coming out (along with a new Sega one).

It is priced at a ridiculous $79.99!

What makes this interesting, though, is it's relationship to the recently announced Ataribox console.

How much sense would it make for Atari to compete with themselves for shelf-space and sales? This would lead me to believe that the Ataribox is going to be more than JUST an emulator in a box, as Atari has been sort of hinting at.

Thoughts on this?

https://www.newswire.com/news/atgames-and-atari-announce-fall-2017-classic-gaming-hardware-lineup-19606190

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 02:21:15 pm »
So At Games announced a new Atari Flashback console coming out (along with a new Sega one).

It is priced at a ridiculous $79.99!

What makes this interesting, though, is it's relationship to the recently announced Ataribox console.

How much sense would it make for Atari to compete with themselves for shelf-space and sales? This would lead me to believe that the Ataribox is going to be more than JUST an emulator in a box, as Atari has been sort of hinting at.

Thoughts on this?

https://www.newswire.com/news/atgames-and-atari-announce-fall-2017-classic-gaming-hardware-lineup-19606190
I'm figuring ATGames is stupidly thinking "Oh, Nintendo sells their nostalgia for $80, so we will too!" but the last 10 flashbacks have been cheaper and still readily available.  Why pay $80 for this years Atari poop box when last year's poop box has the same content for a fraction of the price.

I know I personally passed on the Atari, Coleco, and Intellivision flashbacks when they were clearanced down to like $11 at Walmart.

It's just so laughable.

brazbit

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 04:31:49 pm »
I would love for Atari to be something more than a company sitting on a pile of copyrights licensing out the name and residual IP rights of a long dead, once great, company. The thought of a legitimate Atari console competing in the modern market, while a nice pipe-dream, just doesn't seem realistic.

Between AT Games making many Atari 2600 games playable on the TV or as a handheld, The Retron 77 coming soon with the ability to play the original cartridges over HDMI and the innumerable collections that already exist on all of the modern consoles I don't see where they would fit.

Sure they could introduce new IPs, but the brand means next to nothing for most modern gamers and for older gamers the brand means nostalgia not cutting edge, but establishing a strong foothold without first building a new following and proving themselves on their competitors consoles would be a virtually insurmountable road block. They don't have the virtually limitless funds that Microsoft or Sony did when they joined the party, it would be Jaguar all over again; no funds, no third-party developers and no chance of success.

It's not the same company but they need to look back at what happened to Atari with the 5200, 7800, Lynx, Panther, Jaguar and see what has happened every-time this brand has made a poorly thought through attempt to recapture the magic of the 2600. I include the Panther because, while it may never have seen a release, it was a drain on what remained of Atari's limited resources. Even if this new project never sees the light of day, they could cost themselves what progress has recently been made at reviving the brand, and potentially the brand itself leading to yet another owner for the name Atari.

The VCS/2600 turns 40 in October. I have a feeling this is trying to somehow cash in on that anniversary. That would be an incredibly stupid reason to head down this path. I would much rather see them create something like a cartridge compatible HDMI system like the Retron 77 but with the fully compatible hardware of the Flashback 2 and the outer shell of an original six switch VCS. Include the "built in" games on a multi-cart to complete the appearance. That would be a proper anniversary edition. At least this flight of fancy is more realistic than becoming a top-tier console manufacturer again.

I wouldn't mind being wrong, I just don't see how.

doafan

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 12:50:16 pm »
If they give me Moon Patrol even when it's the old one count me in  8)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy