Author Topic: Demo Listing method  (Read 1020 times)

Demo Listing method
« on: May 14, 2017, 04:00:01 pm »
Hey there

Can someone tell me the best way to list / add demo discs to the database please as there are currently 2 different ways in which they are listed and its making searching for a few things a bit annoying. What I mean is just the general name for the demo disc listing so I'll show what I mean below.

So PS1 demo discs are listed as follows at the moment:
Official UK PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 65

I think this method is perfect and should be implemented for for PS2 demo discs with the addition to the month / year being added as well as well as the - which is on the side of each of the magazines and demo discs. At the moment there are 2 different ways in which they've been listed / named and I'm only bringing this up as it's just a way to keep the database clean and tidy in general. It also helps when it comes to searching for these demo's on the database. These are the 2 listed methods at the moment:
PlayStation 2 Official Magazine U.K. Demo Disc 68 / January 2006
PlayStation 2 Official Magazine-UK Demo Disc 11 / September 2001

So what I am asking is can there be a standard now for adding demo discs onto the database which is as follows for PS1 and for PS2 and these be implemented on the ones currently on the database. I did try changing them a while back but they weren't authorised.
PS1 (Some demo discs have different Vol hence the Vol bit on the first listing)
Official UK PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 00: Vol 00
Official UK PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 00

PS2
PlayStation 2 Official Magazine-UK Demo Disc 00 / January 2006

If someone could get back to me and let me know what they think or approve this, that would be great. If it is approved can someone go through the demo listings and make the alterations please? I'm sure you guys could do it faster then me doing it and then having it authorised by someone.

Thanks
raiden58237
It doesn't matter how much money you put into it, what matters is how much time and effort you put into it. Always quality over quantity.

tripredacus

Re: Demo Listing method
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 12:12:28 pm »
Using examples:
https://vgcollect.com/item/7198
Is: "Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 06"
Should be "Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc No. 06"
Put the month in the Alt-name field. Or it can be:
"Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc No. 06 (March 1998)"

UK PS1 demos have the luxury of having packaging, so it is not reliant on the text of the CD itself. However then the issue is that these items would not have the same naming format.
Example: https://vgcollect.com/item/66552
is: "Official UK PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 43"
but the issue is the jewel case cover (in this example) does not have these words.
Jewel case title: Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
CD title: Official UK PlayStation Magazine CD 43
Despite what we know the item is (a demo disc from the Official UK PlayStation Magazine) the title on most entries does not match the actual appearance. I think that the item title should be the jewel case title above, and alt-name should be the CD title. Then you can put the other info as far as what issue of the magazine the item came with in Description field.
If there is a case where there is a different Legacy of Kain [EU] demo besides this one, then this one would then be Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (8 Playable Demos) or Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Official UK PlayStation Magazine CD.

PlayStation 2 demos have the same issues regarding the fact they are named incorrectly. The title should be the packaging title, the alt should (at least) have the title on the CD itself.
Example: https://vgcollect.com/item/59102
Is PlayStation 2 Official Magazine U.K. Demo Disc 74 / July 2006
Should be (potentially) Forbidden Siren 2 (9 Playable Demos) or Forbidden Siren 2 - Official Magazine UK
and alt title should be ops2m demo 74 which is the title on the disc itself.

Probably not the answer you were looking for.  :'(

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:43:37 pm »
See I think for the standard way for demo listings to be done should be as follows. This is just how I see it at least with demo discs.
So for PS1 demos it's like this.
Official UK PlayStation Magazine Disc 00

I know as you said that demo discs do have text on the front like the Legacy of Khan one which you pointed out but I'm looking at that demo disc right in front of me and that text along with the rest on the front of the case is all just marketing stuff. The developers prob paid the most to get there game on the demo disc so they got the big fancy writing on the front. Most collectors I know that go for the demo discs like myself I know look at the disc number on the side of the case so then it can be matched with the disc in the case along with the SCED number. As for the additional text on the front, someone can just make note of it in the item description just to help out people.

As for the PlayStation 2 I think it should be along the lines of this
PlayStation 2 Official Magazine UK Demo Disc 87 / July 2007

This again is how it appears on the side of the case. As for the text on the front again I think it should be put into the item description. I think the date thats on the case should be in the main name of the listing simply as that is how it appears on the case rather than having the date in the alt name section.

Again this is just how I see it. I think its easy and simple to follow.
It doesn't matter how much money you put into it, what matters is how much time and effort you put into it. Always quality over quantity.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:53:04 am »
Yes, our difference in opinion is due to you making an exception to the cataloging standard for demos, where-as I am not and treating them with the same rules as everything else.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:57:41 pm »
Alright point taken. So can you please summarise then the way in which demos should be listed just so I am 100% clear please? I've got a load coming soon and just want to be sure in case they aren't already on the database.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 11:13:42 am »
Front cover titles should be used, the same method used for other types of games. We should not expect everyone to be an expert in what an item is, and they should be able to find it in the database based on what it says on either the front of the item. In the examples I gave already, I would have the expectation that if I had purchased this item:
https://vgcollect.com/item/66552

I could find it by searching for Legacy of Kain. As it stands right now, this is not possible.

Front cover is for item title. If the spine or disc is different, or if there is a popular alternate title, it goes into alt-title. Description field can be used to note that it came with a magazine and which magazine it was, if it only came with direct or retail magazine version, etc.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 03:37:59 pm »
OK got it. Thank you.