Author Topic: Can Zelda: BotW Be Considered an RPG?  (Read 1248 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Can Zelda: BotW Be Considered an RPG?
« on: May 17, 2017, 04:32:00 pm »
A pre-amble to the post:

I consider all types of RPGs (including action-RPGs) as RPGs. I'm not one of those guys that think ONLY JRPGs qualify. So that considered:

This game is so much more than the past Zelda games. There's just so much to explore. It's so open-ended. And there are so many approaches to how you play. Plus there's a big focus on upgrades.

IMO, I think this is the game that squarely puts Zelda into the RPG territory, while past Zeldas were adventure outings.

What do you guys think??

Re: Can Zelda: BotW Be Considered an RPG?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:11:02 pm »
I have a hard time putting it into the the RPG category despite it having elements that are very RPG-esq like stats on items, HP, ability leveling, and quests. I guess it is partially an RPG at the least, although I seem to feel like it is more of an Adventure game like the previous Zelda titles. But still, it is unlike any of the previous Zelda games....my head hurts....

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 05:20:42 pm »
From the recent Game Informer and IGN Top 100 RPG lists, as bad or fine as they could be, have shown that RPG's are quite varied lol

I personally think Breath of the Wild is inbetween the old adventure action games and an RPG.  The clothing with benefits, how it can be upgraded, the crafting, all the quests, how not only can you improve health, but stamina...I think it's stretching its limbs more into the RPG realm than it ever has before, where the games before were always more just a straightforward action game.  The shift started with Skyward Sword, as I believe that had like crafting materials you could pick up too.

I don't feel saying it's an "RPG" is 100% right, but it's close.  I think it comes down more to the Roleplaying aspect of the term.  You can't really choose how you want to play Link.  You can't be like a focused archer or a mage or a swordsman or anything like that, because the game doesn't offer options for making Link be anything other than the Link he is.  To me, Breath of the Wild is just an Open World Action Adventure game, but they could very easily turn the next one into a proper RPG and I'd be cool with that.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:59:33 pm »
RPGs are a difficult genre to define because almost every video game with an avatar is technically a "role playing game". Probably the only thing you listed that I would personally place into the slot of "RPG" is sidequesting, since I find some sort of "questing" vital to RPGs.
Everything else is just action-adventure, I think.
Dedicated quest logs are a really archaic and outdated system, though, so hopefully Breath of the Wild's isn't quite the same as, say, Skyrim's.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 07:37:51 am »
It's an action rpg, so yes it is one.  ???

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:11:08 am »
Well... that goes into what is your definition of RPG?  I mean, every game you play a role, so aren't all games in essence RPGs?  I suppose puzzle games might not apply, but you I think you know what I'm getting at.

But if you wanna not be that way, again, what makes an RPG?  A level up system?  I mean, most shooters these days have some sort of "leveling" system distributing stat points and upgrading equipment and such. 

I certainly wouldn't consider Ghost Recon: Wildlands an RPG, but it has an open world, quests, and leveling up your character and equipment.

Would you consider Dark Souls an RPG?  Horizon: Zero Dawn?  Borderlands?  Mad Max?  Fallout 4?  Some of these feel obvious.  Some of these have similar requisites.

I'm gonna say no.  I don't think BotW is an RPG.  I'd consider it an Action Adventure game with RPG elements.

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 09:23:20 am »
Yeah, it's an open world adventure with RPG-like elements.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 03:36:41 am »
I have never seen Zelda games as "RPGs" I've always seen them as Adventure/action/puzzle games mainly. Just because something has RPG Elements doesn't make it an RPG. If that was the case then games such as Call of Duty would be an RPG then with its progression system. Also if you wanted to get down to it. You could technically say that almost every video game is an "RPG" since you are taking the "role" of something. Like Zelda, you are playing link and you're "role playing" a hero that saves the world. or god of war where you are playing the role of Kratos and role playing what's going on in his life. Or playing Mario and role playing as a plummer who saves the same dumb princess over and over again. However, that would be taking it a bit to far imo.