Author Topic: Repro Game Carts  (Read 4642 times)

Repro Game Carts
« on: May 20, 2017, 11:09:01 pm »
Just wondering how do people on here feel about repro carts for older games. Me personally I don't try to get repros of old games. Unless it's a game that didn't come to America. Like I only own one repro game which is Sailor Moon another story. I paid $35 for it and got it as a pink cart for my SNES. I had a few reasons to go with a repro for this game. 1: It never came to America, it was only in Japan and Europe. 2: The price. to buy a used copy of the game it's setting at around $45+ or from what I have seen. So decided since it's a game that I greatly wanted not only for my love for the anime but it's something I was legitly interesting in playing and just owning it for collection reasons. I do plan on buying an original Japanese cart too since I do collect both American and Japanese versions of games.

I can see getting repro's of homebrew games since it would be awesome to play homebrews on the real consoles themselves rather than a emulator. But overall I try to avoid repros when it comes to original games that come out. What about you guys?

aliensstudios

Re: Repro Game Carts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 01:14:59 pm »
I've got a repro of Mother 3's fan translation and a few others that are homebrews and such. I will usually buy a digital copy over a repro if available but I'm not hugely against repros if you aren't trying to decieve or rip someone off
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

retrogemcollector

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 02:36:02 pm »
Repro/Everdrive are the way to go. First you won't get ruined and second you won't ruin your physical copies. As long as it clearly says ''Reproduction'' I have no problem with them.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 02:37:48 pm »
I've got a repro of Mother 3's fan translation and a few others that are homebrews and such. I will usually buy a digital copy over a repro if available but I'm not hugely against repros if you aren't trying to decieve or rip someone off

Yeah, im with you on that. I'm not against repros as long are they are not trying to rip people off. I don't mind digital copies of games but for consoles, I rather have physical copies if possible. Like I said I can see it for homebrews and for something that wasn't released where you live or like you said mother 3's fan translation. I think repro overall is a great idea if done right.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 02:39:16 pm »
Repro/Everdrive are the way to go. First you won't get ruined and second you won't ruin your physical copies. As long as it clearly says ''Reproduction'' I have no problem with them.

Ive thought about getting an Everdrive for the same reasons you just said. That way I can keep my physical in good conduction.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:29:31 pm »
I agree with retogemcollector as long as it's marked I'm good.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 06:41:49 am »
as Long as I'm not charged like it's a rare gem from the 90's ill buy it

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 09:54:53 am »
I think the general consensus on these is if they are clearly identifiable as a repro, or the game never came out here it's cool. 

Now, if someone is making "repro" Little Samsons or Stadium Events; that's not a repro.  It's just a fake.

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 09:58:15 am »
I have one repro because I can guarantee I'll never own the real thing:

Shantae (GBC)

I'm also probably going to get a repro of the following:

Eliminate Dawn (GEN)

Metal Storm (NES) . . . I MIGHT get lucky a find a loose cart for around $100.

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 12:04:48 pm »

Yeah, im with you on that. I'm not against repros as long are they are not trying to rip people off. I don't mind digital copies of games but for consoles, I rather have physical copies if possible. Like I said I can see it for homebrews and for something that wasn't released where you live or like you said mother 3's fan translation. I think repro overall is a great idea if done right.
Couldn't say it any better!
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 05:23:14 pm »
If it's a hack, homebrew, or game that never received an official US release than I do not mind. However, if it happens to be something that was released here I think owning a repro cart is about on par with just owning a rom file of it and an emulator. You don't actually own the game still. I guess the same could be said for the kind of games I am okay with, but whatever.

theravenfreak

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:23:33 pm »
I personally don't have a issue with repros, especially if the official release of the game is way too expensive. For example Musha on the Mega Drive is way too overpriced IMO, so if you were to buy a repro of the game I wouldn't blame you. Also repros of games that didn't make it to your country is fine in my book likewise with hacks and homebrew.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 02:26:12 am »
Here is a pic od my sailor moon Repro cart I got. I'm really happy with it and I love that it's pink! but man it stands out like a sore thumb in my SNES collection.

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 04:28:57 pm »
Whatever the cheapest option is, I'll generally go for. Most repro carts are $25 - $40. If the original is a lot more expensive than that and I have to have the game right now, then I'll get a repro. My Earthbound is repro, and to be honest I'm glad that I didn't spend the money on an original copy - wouldn't have been worth it to me.

I think a lot of collector's feel like it's cheating. Some have said they don't even like the idea of the original publisher printing more, and would prefer the re-print to be distinguishable. That's a level of collecting that I don't get into. It's not the age, assembly number, or scarcity of item I'm interested in, it's just the physical media format itself.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 08:34:04 pm »
Whatever the cheapest option is, I'll generally go for. Most repro carts are $25 - $40. If the original is a lot more expensive than that and I have to have the game right now, then I'll get a repro. My Earthbound is repro, and to be honest I'm glad that I didn't spend the money on an original copy - wouldn't have been worth it to me.

I think a lot of collector's feel like it's cheating. Some have said they don't even like the idea of the original publisher printing more, and would prefer the re-print to be distinguishable. That's a level of collecting that I don't get into. It's not the age, assembly number, or scarcity of item I'm interested in, it's just the physical media format itself.

I can understand how people feel like it's cheating and I myself would rather own the original copy but if it's something like Earthbound where the game is so much money i can understand getting a repro of it. But i mainly see repro as either homebrews, or games that didn't come out here in america. Which is why i ordered the sailor moon game like i did... and also because i could get it in pink... but that was just the cherry on top hehe.