Author Topic: Repro Game Carts  (Read 4688 times)

shepard11

Re: Repro Game Carts
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 03:29:25 pm »
I'm not against repros. I do prefer the real thing case in point my recent copy of Earthbound. But if my bud ended up getting a repro of it I wouldn't throw shade their way just because. If they are happy with that more power to them. And I can't ever say I ever seen a pink repro...EVER I didn't even know they made them in that color.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 03:38:58 pm »
I echo most sentiments in this thread. We've had this conversation before. And I fall in line with most people's thinking on VGCollect about it:

Repros, that are advertised as repros, for stupid expensive games like Earthbound or DuckTales 2, are good IMO. Because it allows people to be able to own a game they might not otherwise be able to obtain. I feel the same for repros for games that may have never gotten a physical release, such as Mega Man: The Wily Wars or Golden Axe III on Genesis in the U.S.

But it's the knock-offs that are sold as if they are real copies, and are used by shady sellers, those are the ones no one wants to see.

scoobs22

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 01:39:33 pm »
I can see getting repro's of homebrew games since it would be awesome to play homebrews on the real consoles themselves rather than a emulator. But overall I try to avoid repros when it comes to original games that come out. What about you guys?

I especially like having original Famicom carts modified with the English translation patch.

aliensstudios

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 10:28:11 pm »
I can see getting repro's of homebrew games since it would be awesome to play homebrews on the real consoles themselves rather than a emulator. But overall I try to avoid repros when it comes to original games that come out. What about you guys?

I especially like having original Famicom carts modified with the English translation patch.
I did this with my Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light cart and was about to with my Mother cart, but EarthBound Beginnings came out so I never did.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

scoobs22

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 12:24:14 am »
There are literally dozens of Fami games that have fan translation patches, many of which are actually worth playing.  ;)

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 05:39:41 pm »
Repro carts are just the same as owning a rom. It's a nice personalized display piece nothing more nothing less.

fan translations and games that were never released in a certain region even for those I would say the same. It's nice to have but you can just play them on a flash cart for the same experience not to mention that for the games that are worth it usually even the japanese releases do not have much language anyways except for the rpg's. there is no original release but the roms are available for original consoles most with englishes patches the same roms wich are used for those reproductions.

Repro's are just the same like those custom made boxes to store carts It's just a personal desire people fooling themselves to having the real thing or an original release in our region wich it is not.

Nothing against it personally except for the very good repro's that can fool people even for the cheaper games.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:21:46 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 05:56:58 pm »
I just recently bought my first repro of a Japanese only release. Im thinking of getting games to fill a space in my collection of games i could never possibly afford as long as thay are clearly identified as reproductions. but im not sold on the idea yet.

adamilius

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 04:17:03 pm »

I got repro of a Japanese game, Samurai Pizza Cats for NES that had been translated to english. Other than that, not quite sure about it although I agree that they should be labeled as such.

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 03:30:20 pm »
I think I'm with most others here.

I was contemplating buying a Retron 5, getting Japanese carts, then loading patches, but lately I have just gone the repro route. I have the Mother 1+2 with English patches (though the Mother 2 is incomplete) and Mother 3. I specifically chose the carts that were bright clear red (like Pokemon Ruby) to announce that they are repros. Just seems right, and I can play it on my original hardware. I'm thinking about doing the same with Seiken Densetsu 3 and Golden Axe 3.

On the other hand, I have also been burned by repros. Thought I was getting a sweet deal on a Final Fantasy VI Advance. I was even fooled by the case. Went back to it three months later and opened it up on a whim and found the black glue globs. The label was perfect, but the "Game Boy Advance" relief on the front of the cart is definitely "off".

So, I'm all for the "clearly labeled" or announced repro route, but am now hyper vigilant about everything else.

Anyone have recommendations for repros that would be worthwhile? I.e. games that are wicked expensive in your region or were never released?

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 10:31:47 am »
I agree with you guys in the sense that as long as reproductions are used for good and not evil.  I currently only have one and its Terranigma.  I had never played it everyone said it was amazing and it was never officially released here.  They were right, its awesome!  Its a case a we're its the only way to play on my SNES.  The next one I'm considering is Seiken Densetsu 3 with an english patch.  My kids and I play Secret of Mana on SNES so I know Seiken Densetsu 3 would be well received.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:27:37 pm by shadowzero »

theflea

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 09:15:07 pm »
I feel I've answered a few times, but here it goes again.

I don't mind reproductions that are...
1. Prototypes never released.
2. Hacked games.
3. Games never released in the US sometimes translated into English.
4. I'll even let a reproduction pass as long as it looks NOTHING like the original.
      Say an Earthbound but the cart is red and the label looks nothing like the original.

But If it's a exact copy and the only way to really tell is open the cart and look at the board, I have a problem with these.
While you may have no attention of trying to rip someone off, it doesn't mean when you go to sell it the next person will.
Say you buy a repro and then you sell your collection and it was in there. You tell the buyer its a repro and then they take that cart and others and sell them to someone else but forget to mention its a fake... sooner or later someone will buy it and not know its a fake til its to late. I have found fakes at game stores, pawn shops, and yes even garage sales. Every time someone buys a fake its one more that could be out there that screws someone.

If you buy a repro cart make sure its obvious the second you look at it, if it looks too real then your just trying to fool someone or yourself you have the real thing.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:18:12 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 02:53:49 am »
I am ok with repro cartridges  as long as they work. however if a game still don't work, and it's clean it's a problem.

I don't open up cartridges to see if they are originals. Because I figure as long as the game works all the way through then I believe it was worth picking up depending on it's prices. for me.

I never understood people getting upset over a $5 USD repro video game that works and plays fine and (also plays like the original) that being said, I don't agree with sellers making fakes and it don't say it's a repro or a sign that it is not an officail. however a repro in my opinion is only worth $5 USD.

As for ROM's I'd rather play a Repro cartridge. that works, rather then a ROM file in which can contain any type of malicious code I like the physical aspect of repros.

Plus I been burned by a free Mike Tyson's Punchout ROM before. That made it impossible to beat a certain character with making the character impossible to strike punches
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:11:34 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sergreyjoy

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 09:00:49 am »
Repro/Everdrive are the way to go. First you won't get ruined and second you won't ruin your physical copies. As long as it clearly says ''Reproduction'' I have no problem with them.

Agreed. A local retro toys/videogame store here started to sell repros but they just mix the carts with official releases on their shelves. Bugs me to no end. Plus it's totally false advertisement.

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 11:06:24 am »
As long as it’s not being passed off as the real deal. I don’t see why people pay over $100 for some titles though. Might as well get an Everdrive if you’re gonna do that.