Author Topic: Does anyone know where i can find 2 Original Xbox DVD drives?  (Read 1558 times)

Hello everyone :D,   Recently i bought two Xbox Originals from Good Will for 8 dollars each marked as (untested).  Both power on beautifully and seem exceptionally clean and pristine inside.  I have cleaned all the dust out and made them spic and span.  One had some minor rust on the metal grate that i was able to sand down with fine grit sand paper and it became shiny metal again.  Both have working hard drives as well with stored media and music on them.  The only problem is that neither of them will load games.

I have turned over a new leaf with throwing out non working consoles.  I rather bring them back to life that way their will be two more in circulation for the future generations.  Rather than just wasting 2 good examples.  Because sure Xbox is common now but 50 years from now when disc based technology becomes obsolete and fewer working examples exist.  It gives me happiness knowing with all of us collectors, we almost act like video game archives :).    We are able to keep so many copies of different items that they will never be forgotten and our future grand kids will be able to see one or collect them for themselves if they want to because of the ones we repair and make like new again. :D

I know it's a long shot but i just want to see if anyone knows of a site where i can find DVD drives. I have already tried Ebay and a quick google search.  The one's on ebay are either broken, untested or madly expensive (more than a console itself).  I heard both the Samsung and Toshiba models are interchangable but i heard  the samsung ones are more reliable.   Thank you for any help :)

ffxik

Re: Does anyone know where i can find 2 Original Xbox DVD drives?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:40:23 pm »
Question.  Do they still have their original drives and they do not work or have the drives been parted out completely?

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 02:00:20 pm »
I don't envision this would do you much good as both the HDD and DVD drive are locked to the console via encryption in the EEPROM.

ffxik

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 02:09:36 pm »
I don't envision this would do you much good as both the HDD and DVD drive are locked to the console via encryption in the EEPROM.

That's only the 360.  You can swap parts on the original no problem.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 05:58:26 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:26:01 pm by jce3000gt »

ffxik

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:54:36 pm »

Don't you still need to recode something?  I recall you needing to do that even on the original XBOX that just swapping any old IDE drive won't work.

I didn't notice you mentioned the HDD.  Well the HDD is locked to the Xbox it was shipped with by a security key, the DVD drive is not.  My original Xbox had a Hitachi DVD drive in it.  It was spotty as far as performance went, swapped it for a Thompson.

I'm not in the business of replacing drives anymore, since they are getting really expensive for a good working one.  It's a lot more work but it's cheaper just to replace the optical pickup.

You can swap the HDD but you would first need to get the EEPROM off the original drive and flash it to the new one via a hotswapping method.

The 360's DVD drive is locked via the drives motherboard.  You have to desolder the original drives mobo and solder it to the new drive, or you could just replace the optical pickup and avoid that hassle.  Since that is what usually goes in the drives.  Philips Lite-on and BenQ being the worst.  They fail fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:00:39 pm by ffxik »

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 11:45:08 pm »

Don't you still need to recode something?  I recall you needing to do that even on the original XBOX that just swapping any old IDE drive won't work.

I didn't notice you mentioned the HDD.  Well the HDD is locked to the Xbox it was shipped with by a security key, the DVD drive is not.  My original Xbox had a Hitachi DVD drive in it.  It was spotty as far as performance went, swapped it for a Thompson.

I'm not in the business of replacing drives anymore, since they are getting really expensive for a good working one.  It's a lot more work but it's cheaper just to replace the optical pickup.

You can swap the HDD but you would first need to get the EEPROM off the original drive and flash it to the new one via a hotswapping method.

The 360's DVD drive is locked via the drives motherboard.  You have to desolder the original drives mobo and solder it to the new drive, or you could just replace the optical pickup and avoid that hassle.  Since that is what usually goes in the drives.  Philips Lite-on and BenQ being the worst.  They fail fairly quickly.

Wow is fixing an xbox that difficult. ??? I mean fixing a playstation 3 super slim sounds is lot easier.

swapping a harddrive out on any PS3 just requires you to flash download the SONY operating system onto the new harddrive, via playstation 3

updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 10:45:30 pm »

Wow is fixing an xbox that difficult. ??? I mean fixing a playstation 3 super slim sounds is lot easier.

swapping a harddrive out on any PS3 just requires you to flash download the SONY operating system onto the new harddrive, via playstation 3

The PS3 & 360 was designed so the HDD could be upgraded, so it's as simple as swapping out the HDD and you're in business as you follow proper procedure.  The original XBOX not so much.  Now to be fair the IDE platter style HDD is quite durable and shouldn't fail unless something extreme happens, such as a power outage while the system is trying to access the drive, or a physical shock while trying to access the drive. 

Either of those scenarios cause the read/write heads to slam into the storage platters and if the magnetic surface gets marred it causes bad sectors and eventually drive failure.  If the HDD fails in the original XBOX you may as well throw it out. 

Fixing most consoles is a pain depending on whats wrong.  As far as the PS3 Blu-Ray drive goes you need to swap motherboards in those if you need to replace it.  Either that or you replace the optical pickup.