Author Topic: Sonic Forces - current turn of events  (Read 1470 times)

indenton

Sonic Forces - current turn of events
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:46:32 pm »
So that whole New character is actually a custom create-a-character ma jigger.  Does anyone have an opinion on this, does anyone here even still care about Sonic the Hedgehog.  For whatever reason embedded YouTube videos aren't displaying correctly on my side at least. 

http://bit.ly/2q3ZAK6 - You can give that a listen if you would like to here condensed thought accompanied with a British accent

I still believe this is ultimately a good idea, but the very same threats of past Sonic games remain, it's not the ideas but the execution that proves hazardous.  Will have to wait and see I suppose. 

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Sonic Forces - current turn of events
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:30:28 pm »
Unfortunately there is no option for a monkey or chicken. Spank and Choke will have to wait for the sequel.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:44:09 pm »
I think it's a great idea.  Sonic needed something to shake it up.  I was already interested in the game since it's clearly just Sonic Generations 2, but custom characters can be fun if done well enough.  We of course have to be mindful as it is Sonic Team and they could always mess up, but as it is, it looks like they want to put a lot behind the custom characters and not have it just be some minor tweaks as they easily could've done.

As for what you brought up in the video about whether it is a good idea, I agree it is.  Sonic struggles to do things right more often than not and as you said, they haven't made a good original character in years and they refuse or are unable to utilize alot from the Archie Comics, so at least we avoided another Silver or something even worse than that.  I'm still hoping for the magical day where Mecha Sonic and Mecha Knuckles in a game becomes a thing and makes my inner child explode with joy lol

Good video though.  Good quality and I love the animated pop up character.

Slightly related offshoot question, I saw someone comment once that they feel the custom character might have originally been for Sonic Boom Sonic, as the grappling hook sorta feels like the energy whip thing from the Sonic Boom game.  But once Sonic Boom bombed (Despite their continuation of the cartoon and the 3DS games), they decided to take the route of a custom character, rather than just adding yet another Sonic that isn't the most well liked to the game.  Just curious if you think that almost seems likely or if they just decided to go custom right off the bat?

kashell

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:59:36 pm »
I've been done with Sonic since the Genesis. Truthfully, after everything Sega has done to him, were there any other avenues to take than this?

Pachinko machines are the next logical step after this.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 03:03:47 pm »
I've been done with Sonic since the Genesis. Truthfully, after everything Sega has done to him, were there any other avenues to take than this?

Worth at least checking out Sonic Generations.  Like you stopped what is considered the best, luckily avoiding everything else bad, but that's genuinely a good game lol  I've heard Sonic Colors is good too, but I haven't played it.

indenton

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 03:08:28 pm »
Slightly related offshoot question, I saw someone comment once that they feel the custom character might have originally been for Sonic Boom Sonic, as the grappling hook sorta feels like the energy whip thing from the Sonic Boom game.  But once Sonic Boom bombed (Despite their continuation of the cartoon and the 3DS games), they decided to take the route of a custom character, rather than just adding yet another Sonic that isn't the most well liked to the game.  Just curious if you think that almost seems likely or if they just decided to go custom right off the bat?

Aye thanks, I was looking at the body style of the stand-in custom character in the trailer.  I was getting a strange Boom vibe from this fella, his height relative to the 2 Sonic's.  I feel it may be a coincidence but it might be a leftover artifact from early development when they may well of been considering Boom Sonic.  My bet is that there's a body type selector perhaps and the went a tall build in the trailer, empathizing height among other characters makes for better composed shots throughout the trailer. 

When you look at 'Boom Sonic', there's just all these details like small flicks coming from his spines and the sports tape which only lend to mudding a strong character design. 

indenton

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 03:12:33 pm »

There are some surprising hits throughout the series, Sonic Riders is surprisingly good but as you expressed the damage has been done.  3D Blast, Secret Rings, Shadow the Hedgehog & Free Riders to name a few. 

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 04:25:25 pm »
I'm somewhat looking forward to this game.

theravenfreak

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:41:09 pm »
While I'm mainly looking forward to Mania, I'm still looking forward to this. I love Sonic the Hedgehog, always have and always will. I think it's cool that they're allowing people to make their own characters to play as. While I've never had a Sonic fan character before, creating one for this game alone doesn't bother me. People honestly are overreacting to this IMO. It's still better than that strange Mario + Rabbids crossover game that was leaked today.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 10:24:59 pm »
I think it looks fine. Sonic gets a lot of undue hate. The fanbase (or more like the hatebase) are the most fickle bunch in the world - "Why is sonic doing anything besides just being blue and running to the right?!? Worst game evar!!!11oneone" I'm sure not every game is top notch, but damn. To be fair the supposedly terrible Sonic Boom was not made by Sonic Team, right?

I've been wanting to gauntlet the whole series, because I'll admit I haven't played much aside from Sonic 1, 2, and Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast (which I loved but some people swear it's garbage). I'm not the least bit repulsed with concept of Sonic being something other than Sonic 2, but it seems like a lot of people are.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:27:02 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 10:59:06 pm »
I think it looks fine. Sonic gets a lot of undue hate. The fanbase (or more like the hatebase) are the most fickle bunch in the world - "Why is sonic doing anything besides just being blue and running to the right?!? Worst game evar!!!11oneone" I'm sure not every game is top notch, but damn. To be fair the supposedly terrible Sonic Boom was not made by Sonic Team, right?

I've been wanting to gauntlet the whole series, because I'll admit I haven't played much aside from Sonic 1, 2, and Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast (which I loved but some people swear it's garbage). I'm not the least bit repulsed with concept of Sonic being something other than Sonic 2, but it seems like a lot of people are.

The hate on Sonic is both undue and totally deserved.  There are people that just trash it outright because its Sonic, not caring about the good, only the bad, and it's just become a meme in general, but the series has had a lot of poor games in it.  People generally think the 90's stuff was the best, then generally liked the Adventure series (I personally think those aged miserably and weren't anything super special to begin with) and then it was hit or miss, then there was the woeful Sonic 06, and it wasn't till Colors and Generations that people came back to liking them more and then it was hit and miss with the Boom stuff, Lost World, etc...

I think the classic Sonic games, while fun, haven't aged the best compared to say Mario.  Sonic is all about trial and error in progression, hoping you don't run into stuff you can't react too.  I think they actually made the 2D plane stuff better with Generations as the camera is pulled out more.  Still not exactly my favorite stuff, but better.  It's why I'm not super interested in Sonic Mania, but I'm on board with Sonic Forces.  I'm hoping it turns out to be the better game in the long run.

theravenfreak

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 09:50:37 pm »
Meh I still think the Genesis Sonic games aged better than Mario, but then again I'm a huge Sonic freak and grew up playing Sonic more than Mario. (Mario isn't bad, but isn't as good as Sonic IMO.) Anyways yes Sonic Team had nothing to do with Sonic Boom, Big Red Button was the company behind the epic failure known as Rise of Lyric for the Wii U while Sanzaru Games worked on Shattered Crystal and Fire and Ice. (Both were better than Rise of Lyric but Shattered Crystal isn't all that great. Fire and Ice is the best Boom game for sure.) Also trust me when I say that not all of us are crazy, I stay clear from the part of the fan base that makes all the strange fan art/fan fiction. The thing is with Sonic there's lots of different styles that the games have gone through since the Adventure days. Heck even back in the 90's there were some questionable Sonic games. Sonic Labyrinth is one of the most hated Sonic games because it takes away Sonic's speed and it came out during the classic era. I still agree that Sonic gets way too much hate. Other franchises has had their share of poor games too but no one mentions them.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 11:10:28 pm »
I was doing some reading and I think I've got a handle on why everyone seems to hate Sonic... well, everyone as in most 30 year old dudes found scattered across various internet forums.

The theory is these people were mostly taken with the theatrics of old-school Sonic titles, you know, the part where Sonic just goes flying across the screen and you don't really have to do anything? Well, they really liked that as a kid. Then when Sega tried to introduce more substance into Sonic games, it didn't have the same effect. Compound that will numerous entries (some buggy and some polished) that didn't make the same kind of magic happen, they got really annoyed with the franchise. They demanded old Sonic back and then when they were given old Sonic, they realized as adults that this doesn't entertain them anymore.

Only problem is they continue to think this is Sega's fault. Like if Sega would just somehow do better then they'd love the game again? What worked as a tech demo 30 years ago, is not enough for a whole game by today's standards and yet folks were never very accepting of the franchise moving in a different direction, the shunning began first with Sonic 3D Blast and snowballed from there.

My thought is if Sonic doesn't do it for you, then so what. Doesn't mean all the games suck. Sometimes your preference of game changes, it happens.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:35:03 pm by Warmsignal »