Author Topic: Cartridge Console Wars  (Read 4825 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Cartridge Console Wars
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:11 am »
It's Nintendo or GTFO!  We don't need any of you Sega fans chanting for the underdog.  This isn't Rudy.  No one cares about your little, blue mascot.  Sonic sucks.  The Genesis had some good games; but when it stands next to the SNES, the Genesis is paled in comparison. 

The only game that I can think of that Genesis does better is Castlevania Bloodlines is better than Super Castlevania IV (in my opinion). 

How's that for controversy?  8)

SNES never had, and will never have blast processing;)

Actually, I just restarted the Sonic series the other day with Sonic 1. That's still a great game IMO, with an awesome soundtrack too. Not quite as fond of SMW, where the pace is constantly broken by an onslaught of baddy stomping and trying to maintain Yoshi... and why is there a football player in the game? The music? Well if you're into that whole ragtime hodown kinda thing... I guess.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 12:50:23 pm »
Love the Genesis Sonic games, those alone were worth owning a Genesis. However, Mario is better.

And X-Men 2: The Clone Wars is one of the best beat-em ups on any system. That was a big reason why I bought a Genesis back in the day (after already owning a SNES, though).

And of course all of Sega's arcade hits are undeniable.

So while I agree with you, Turf, about SNES being better, the Genesis is far from worthless.

I am gonna say, though, that the Genesis's sound SUCKED! I hate the farty noises that often come out of it, and the soundtracks of so many games just sound so similar.

aliensstudios

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 01:12:03 pm »
SNES never had, and will never have blast processing.  ;)

Actually, I just restarted the Sonic series the other day with Sonic 1. That's still a great game IMO, with an awesome soundtrack too. Not quite as fond of SMW, where the pace is constantly broken by an onslaught of baddy stomping and trying to maintain Yoshi... and why is there a football player in the game? The music? Well if you're into that whole ragtime hodown kinda thing... I guess.
I will never understand how the Genesis managed to process all of that blast.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

doafan

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 01:44:28 pm »
Just gonna say one word: NES FOREVER   8)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 08:05:50 pm »
1. SNES for it's JRPG and excellent platform game. Squaresoft released the best JRPG game ever made on that console, and Nintendo showed what a good plateform game is (Yoshi Island still my favorite platform game of all time). I'm so glad I pick up that console instead of a Genesis...

2. NeoGeo is the must powerful 16-bits console offering at that time the perfect arcade experience at home. To bad it was to expensive... bought one early 2000 for not much, and I manage to crap some games before the prices skyrocket. That console got the best 2D fighting games (Garou MOTW, Last Blade, KOF, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury...), amazing run and gun and shump. If you guys got the chance to get one for cheap and few games, get it, it worth every penny to play arcade game like it was 199X at home.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

aliensstudios

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 10:21:42 pm »
Uh... that's two words...

sin2beta

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 10:28:52 pm »

And X-Men 2: The Clone Wars is one of the best beat-em ups on any system. That was a big reason why I bought a Genesis back in the day (after already owning a SNES, though).

I am gonna say, though, that the Genesis's sound SUCKED! I hate the farty noises that often come out of it, and the soundtracks of so many games just sound so similar.

X-Men 2 is in my top 10 games. Along with Comix Zone. Best 2d platform beat em ups.

I also am definitely one of the odd men out in liking the Genesis sound better than the SNES. The SNES was too much reverb like sound. But both systems had songs that really highlight each system's strengths.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

doafan

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 01:45:17 pm »

My mistake, please allow me to fix it: NESFOREVER  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

aliensstudios

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 04:03:12 pm »

My mistake, please allow me to fix it: NESFOREVER  ;D
8)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 10:04:18 pm »
My favorite cartridge systems are snes,sega genesis,nes in that order

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 12:16:29 pm »
I grew up with the Atari 2600.  Definitely my favorite console of the 70s/early 80s.  ColecoVision comes in second place for me in this time period.

I skipped the NES / SNES / Sega generation.  What gaming I did at that time was on the computer.

90s onward - Sony, Sony, Sony.  I have some love for the Xbox 360 and One as well, but as a fan of JRPGs, Sony is where it is at. 

brazbit

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 12:51:27 am »
Make love not war man...
I never really understood console wars, I loved them all. In the 70s we only had a Pong console. In the 80s I had an Odyessey2, Atari 2600, and a Coleco Adam. The 90s started with my NES and ended with a Jaguar and an N64. But through it all I played and still bought games for, all of them. In 1992 when they finally discontinued the 2600 (it had shared the shelves with SNES, Genesis, TG16 etc...) I still bought a soccer game for the old Atari despite having an NES and was still on the hunt for Colecovision and Odyessey2 games through video game specialized mail-order catalogs of the time.

Friends would fight over the Sega/Nintendo nonsense. I just made note of who had what and made sure I had a chance to play them all.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 09:59:46 am »
Make love not war man...
I never really understood console wars, I loved them all. In the 70s we only had a Pong console. In the 80s I had an Odyessey2, Atari 2600, and a Coleco Adam. The 90s started with my NES and ended with a Jaguar and an N64. But through it all I played and still bought games for, all of them. In 1992 when they finally discontinued the 2600 (it had shared the shelves with SNES, Genesis, TG16 etc...) I still bought a soccer game for the old Atari despite having an NES and was still on the hunt for Colecovision and Odyessey2 games through video game specialized mail-order catalogs of the time.

Friends would fight over the Sega/Nintendo nonsense. I just made note of who had what and made sure I had a chance to play them all.

This has to be one of the best replies to the thread.  In the end, I know I just want to play games that I enjoy and I don't care what console they are on. 

In the past, I could only have one console at a time, now I can pretty much have all the ones I want.  While Sony has the most games I want to play this generation, I also enjoy my Xbox and Switch as there are great games on both of them that I can only play on those system.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 12:43:13 pm »
^ You guys realize that this thread is all in good fun, right? The regulars here on this board always get along great.

brazbit

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 02:21:53 pm »
^ You guys realize that this thread is all in good fun, right? The regulars here on this board always get along great.
Definitely. Just because I don't get into brand wars personally (for the most part) doesn't mean that I don't enjoy a good Sega does what Nintendon't or Ford/Chevy argument, Tounge in cheek or serious. It's entertaining and if you spin it right you can play NES at John's in the morning, SMS at JD's in the afternoon and spend the evening playing 7800 (adjust for generation accordingly.)

The make love not war thing was just the first thing to pop into my mind. There were still a lot of left over 60s references in my youth.