Author Topic: Well... This happened.  (Read 3286 times)

theflea

Well... This happened.
« on: June 04, 2017, 12:16:47 am »
This weekend I was invited to sell some of my extras at a Pokemon Con in Madison.
It was mainly for Pokemon Card players and vendors but there where a few selling video games.
A youtuber rented a small booth to promote their channel and invited me to sell my extras.
I priced them a little under the going value because well I want to get money to get something else for my collection.
I was hit by the large resellers who bought a lot of my stuff. I checked their booths and good lord where they over priced. $55 for a gold NES Zelda? $50 for FF7 GH? ouch. Anyway after they bought what they wanted they contacted the people running the show upset I was selling games so cheap and where threatening to leave to show unless I was gone. They tried to iron out the issue but in the end they asked me to leave.  :(
My Youtube friends where more mad about it then I was, and they ended their booth as well. I told them they didn't have too, but they didn't want to be at a con where a larger vendor got their way just because they can pay for more space.
I never thought this was a thing at cons, that bigger vendors can muscle out the little ones so they don't have competition. What BS.  :(
"Happy game hunting!!!"

hexen

Re: Well... This happened.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 12:24:59 am »
That is absolute nonsense, that is honestly pissing me off quite a bit because these types have basically ruined collecting for me. Big vendors picking through the venue before hand to mark up prices is already such a scummy, despicable practice and a big reason I can hardly find the motivation to hunt anymore, but then coming down on you for being a good vendor is just too much. The scene has gone from hobbyist to complete reseller greed in pretty much any mainstream capacity.

I don't know the scale of these sellers who screwed you over, but if they are big enough you might give a warning about who they are so they can be avoided (although, their stupid prices might do that anyway for people here who are generally in the know about prices).
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 12:35:10 am »
This weekend I was invited to sell some of my extras at a Pokemon Con in Madison.
It was mainly for Pokemon Card players and vendors but there where a few selling video games.
A youtuber rented a small booth to promote their channel and invited me to sell my extras.
I priced them a little under the going value because well I want to get money to get something else for my collection.
I was hit by the large resellers who bought a lot of my stuff. I checked their booths and good lord where they over priced. $55 for a gold NES Zelda? $50 for FF7 GH? ouch. Anyway after they bought what they wanted they contacted the people running the show upset I was selling games so cheap and where threatening to leave to show unless I was gone. They tried to iron out the issue but in the end they asked me to leave.  :(
My Youtube friends where more mad about it then I was, and they ended their booth as well. I told them they didn't have too, but they didn't want to be at a con where a larger vendor got their way just because they can pay for more space.
I never thought this was a thing at cons, that bigger vendors can muscle out the little ones so they don't have competition. What BS.  :(

I'm just gonna put a couple of  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( faces here, because this situation is so ridiculous. Just reading about it makes me salty.

Sorry that happened, dude. I hope your next experience, if you have one, is much better.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 01:06:26 am »
It sucks the people in charge of the con didn't stand up for you and let some scumbag re-sellers dictate how things should be.  Makes me furious reading that.  Feels bad, man.  Make sure to message the con after its done to tell them off for allowing that to happen and that any vendor who complained should be banned in the future.  That kind of attitude is only going to drag things down in the future.

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 02:43:32 am »
Should of just set your shop up outside the premise.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 03:20:47 am »
It sucks.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 10:07:59 am »
That's a bunch of B.S. I'd blast it on their social media pages (the con's and the seller's page if it's a store). Let everyone know and hopefully prevent it from happening to another seller

kashell

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 11:29:26 am »
Wow, that's a new one. I can't help but to wonder if that's an isolated incident or if this happens all over the place.

Social media, word of mouth, etc. Use all of it to lower the credibility of those in charge.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 02:33:33 pm »
I guess they can't handle supply and demand.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 03:38:20 pm »
if it really was that cheap why didn't they buy it all?

All jokes aside, pretty scummy what they did especially after first buying the stuff that they needed.

Pretty selfish, than again I don't see why they are still in this hobby, there is not much to gain money wise.

Your better of doing something else with your time to earn money.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 05:38:33 pm »
People just love capitalism until it doesn't work out in their favor.

The people running that con sound like a bunch of spineless bitches tbh. If the resellers want to leave, let them. They can see how far they'll get selling Zelda or FF7 for $50 on ebay or pretty much anywhere.

You handled that a lot better than I would have, that's for sure.

theflea

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 07:33:53 pm »
I'm a collector/gamer at heart and i want to set prices as what i'd want to see. I just wanted to sell some extras to get something I need. If I ever do a "con" again it might be a retro game con like vgs in chicago. Tempted to put stupid high prices til the other vendors scope me out them drop them to normal once they pass by. Lol
I had fun helping those who wanted games to play or their collection. I even got a decent trade. I just cant believe the management let them win because they complained.
They were just afraid they wouldn't come back and loose money next year so they kicked out the guy lower value booth.
The worst part is many people said they wanted to come back later to buy something because they where busy with the pokemon tournament going on. I feel bad that they couldn't get a game/system not over priced.

Btw their store is Punch Out Gaming in forest lake MN and eau claire WI. Avoid their business.

Just googled them and they have horrible reviews. Lol
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:52:33 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 08:32:50 pm »
I'm just going to say I would be the A**hole who would say to them "Well if your stuff at a reasonably priced, my prices wouldn't look so cheap"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 09:10:04 pm »
sorry to hear about that but it sounds to me like you took the high road.You could of asked for your stuff back and refund their money.Then told them what thay could do with themselves.

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 03:42:25 am »
I'd take this to social media to be honest. What a crappy thing they pulled on you, don't let them win so easily! CALL THEM OUT!