Author Topic: Question about Wii U's UKV (PAL) catalog distinction  (Read 6968 times)

Agozer

Question about Wii U's UKV (PAL) catalog distinction
« on: June 06, 2017, 01:51:59 pm »
So the Wii U's european PAL library has a considerable number of games that have a catalog/item number ending with UKV. Is this the official way to distinguish the UK version of the game(s)? I've seen that some site editors edit game titles to include [UK] in the title, yet some games that have the UKV item number do not have the [UK] addition. Why is this? These UKV games are also sold in some European countries outside the UK.

What is the stance that VGCollect takes on this? Is the UKV release of a given game considered the base/standard European PAL release?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:30:29 am by Agozer »

indenton

Re: Question about Wii U's UKV (PAL) catalog distinction
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 03:25:24 pm »
I've just checked the back of 2 Wii U games I have on my shelf: 

Mario Kart 8 has 3 separate ratings on the front cover, multiple languages written on the back cover (Primarily English & German) cat no. TSA-WUP-KAFX-EUR. 

I bought this from a local retailer but it was part of a bundle with the console so that's a general European Print. 

Star Fox Zero, only has a PEGI rating on front, English on back cover.  Cat no. TSA-WUP-AFXP-UKV  (I bought this used, but appears to have been distributed specifically in the United Kingdom. 

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 05:02:33 am »
So the Wii U's european PAL library has a considerable number of games that have a catalog/item number ending with UKV. Is this the official way to distinguish the UK version of the game(s)?
Yes, it is.
I've seen that some site editors edit game titles to include [UK] in the title, yet some games that have the UKV item number do not have the [UK] addition. Why is is?
It is because we don't have enough time to edit all those games in our database. If you want you can edit it and add [UK] to the title. :)
These UKV games are also sold in some European countries outside the UK.
Yes, they are, but [UK] stands for the origin country of release, not where you can buy it.

Is the UKV release of a given game considered the base/standard European PAL release?
No, it is not.  UKV is for UK, FAH is for France and Netherlands, FRG is for Germany, ESP for Spain, ITA for Italy etc. Some of the Nintendo relases has UXP or EUR which means that they are "base" releases for whole Europe (multi language on the cover).

Hope that I explained it a little :)

Agozer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:29:46 am »
Thanks, those are pretty precise answers.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 10:51:30 am »
I've seen that some site editors edit game titles to include [UK] in the title, yet some games that have the UKV item number do not have the [UK] addition. Why is this?

The general reason is that the English games (thus UK) are the default listings allowed to not have a TLD in an item title in an [EU] category. That is to say that English release EU games do not need to have [UK] in the title unless it is a specific UK version where a general release English language version was available in Europe as well.

Another reason why it is not uniform is that many entries are incorrect.

Agozer

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 06:25:26 pm »
I've seen that some site editors edit game titles to include [UK] in the title, yet some games that have the UKV item number do not have the [UK] addition. Why is this?

The general reason is that the English games (thus UK) are the default listings allowed to not have a TLD in an item title in an [EU] category. That is to say that English release EU games do not need to have [UK] in the title unless it is a specific UK version where a general release English language version was available in Europe as well.

This was my original way of thinking. Well, I've added he [UK] TLD to the UKV branded Wii U games I have, since mastafafik pretty much confirmed that Nintendo's base European releases usually have the EUR catalog number.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:29:31 pm by Agozer »

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:23:57 am »

This was my original way of thinking. Well, I've added he [UK] TLD to the UKV branded Wii U games I have, since mastafafik pretty much confirmed that Nintendo's base European releases usually have the EUR catalog number.

That EUR catalog number is from the media I believe.

Agozer

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 12:16:41 pm »

No, it's on the back of the box if I'm not mistaken. Xenoblade Chronicles X and Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water come to mind. Most of my Wii U games that have the box text in English are UKV though.

This conversation is basically the reason I would like to see certain rules concerning database entries to be set in stone.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:21:52 pm by Agozer »

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 12:51:04 pm »
Media usually have EUR, because they are universal for whole Europe, but sometimes EUR is also on the back cover like at Darksiders Warmastered Edition, which is general Europe release.

There are also little coloured triangles at the spine side of the cover, which corresponds to the region release. For example green triangle is for UK, purple is for base Europe (EUR), red is for France, pink is for Spain etc. Here you have more or less actual and correct triangle table http://www.nanaky.eu/NintendoTriangles.html

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 10:45:50 am »
The color code they used is really good and I wish other companies had something so uniform.