Author Topic: Physical representation of digital collection  (Read 2296 times)

topspot123

Physical representation of digital collection
« on: June 06, 2017, 08:13:32 pm »
The other day I had the beginning of an idea that I was ruminating on concerning having a physical representation of my digital games, especially games that are digital only.  And then I saw a post on Kotaku that mirrored the thoughts I was having:  Fake Boxes For Downloadable Nintendo Switch Games http://kotaku.com/fake-boxes-for-downloadable-nintendo-switch-games-1795806788

This article showed me that at least the idea of a physical object holds some weight in the collector’s mind, so I decided to introduce my ideas here for open debate.  Now I am personally of the opinion that a full game case is a bit extravagant, at least in relation to shelf space.  My first thought involved making cards to represent my digital game purchases.  What I am proposing is a series of cards for each digital platform designed off of the same overall template, with each storefront having it’s own brand specific template.  All relevant game information should be included such as number of players, cover art, game synopsis (i.e. text ripped from the game’s listing), tech features (resolution, applicable controllers), ESRB, possibly release history, etc.  It should mimic the cover art of the physical version in most ways and games without a physical release would get new covers created.  These could then be printed and added to your collection as games are purchased. 

Would you have any use for an idea such as this?

At first I was thinking of playing card sized cards, but then I sort of fixated on having cards that more match the size of the physical media case.  For example I would have a stack of 5”x7” cards for my Xbox 360 Live Arcade titles.  These could then be placed on my media shelves with my game discs, or even stacked inside an otherwise empty game case. 

Another consideration is whether to make these two sided or to have all of the game information on one side with a uniform back, for instance with a logo for the storefront on each back (PSN, XBLA, eshop, etc.)

I’m really just posting this to see what other collectors think, and to add to the conversation.  Please post your opinions and see where it goes!

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Physical representation of digital collection
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:14 am »
This is how this would fit me personally.  There is no right or wrong.  It's just my opinion.

Physical stuff for digital games is just needless clutter, in my opinion.  Physical games have cases and manuals that are part of the game.  Digital games do not; they're just 1's and 0's. 
I don't even understand games that are digital but still come with that disc with download keys on it.  If the game itself isn't on the disc/cart, I'll just stick to my download of it.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 10:10:38 am »
Unless there is some actual physical media for the digital game I cannot consider it a part of my collection personally. Gamestop sells those metallic chases for various digital games, but because there is no disk in them I cannot consider them part of the collection. However, even PC games that have the disks that are no longer playable due to the key being registered and used already count in my book. There is a condition though that must be met for it to truly be in my collection; there must also be a digital version of that exact same game that I own. So in all I need the physical media and I actually need the game in a readily playable form. While this is not a requirement, I also do not add games typically to my collection that are disk only, especially PC games which this example is the most applicable to.

kashell

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 10:28:02 am »
Physical stuff for digital stuff seems silly to me. I need as much shelf space as I can. I don't want it occupied by an empty box.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 10:47:56 am »
Word.  I'm so out of space it isn't funny.

azure

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:06:02 am »
Add me to the no space train as well. I just see it as I waste of space as well.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 11:35:02 am »
It's your collection, it's unique to you, do as you please!  8)
Personally, I used to bounce back and forth on this issue, heck, when I first joined the site I used to count digital games as physical because I was focused on the game titles themselves and not the actual platform or whatnot. For example, if I had Super Mario World from the Wii U eShop, I would put that I owned the SNES version in my collection and just make a note that it was digital. Well, things have changed since then, and while I do consider digital games as a part of my collection, I definitely abstain from purchasing them. I used to print out cases of games I owned digitally and put them on the shelf and I even used to print out cover art for games where I only had the disc, but after a while and learning how others categorized and collected, doing so seemed inauthentic to me. I'm so much into physical games, that I will not buy a game unless it has a physical release usually. Sometimes the gamble pays off and I get to play games like FAST Racing Neo, Shovel Knight and Mutant Mudds because they got physical releases. Other times, no matter how interested in a game I am, I won't get it digitally. I'm still waiting to play Unravel because it looks like a good game, but it doesn't have a physical release, there's just something lost when I stream a movie or play a digital game; it feels inauthentic because I don't own it. 
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

topspot123

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 04:58:22 pm »
I used to print out cases of games I owned digitally and put them on the shelf and I even used to print out cover art for games where I only had the disc, but after a while and learning how others categorized and collected, doing so seemed inauthentic to me.

I 100% agree with the sentiment of knowing something is not authentic.  I have a few games in my collection that started out as disc only, then I printed my own cover, then I bought the original empty case separately.  I still know it isn't 100% authentic!

I'm so much into physical games, that I will not buy a game unless it has a physical release usually. Sometimes the gamble pays off and I get to play games like FAST Racing Neo, Shovel Knight and Mutant Mudds because they got physical releases. Other times, no matter how interested in a game I am, I won't get it digitally. I'm still waiting to play Unravel because it looks like a good game, but it doesn't have a physical release, there's just something lost when I stream a movie or play a digital game; it feels inauthentic because I don't own it.

And I have a different opinion of digital games.  I don't buy many, and if there is an option I would always prefer to get a disc version.  But playing is still playing and I will buy and play digital versions.  I have specifically purchased Shovel Knight and Unravel, and just on Monday the Disney Afternoon collection.  But I do understand where you are coming from (I don't list my digital games on my collection here, for instance).  Everyone is different. 

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 06:30:41 pm »
The only method for me is Poggs

topspot123

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 06:11:35 pm »
The only method for me is Poggs

Nice!

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 12:07:27 pm »
If it makes you happy to make something physical for your digital games, nothing wrong with that I suppose but I have to admit I think it's rather dumb.  Your time, money and shelf space could be much better utilized.  Why not print up artwork inserts to put in DVD cases for every movie you've downloaded?

I read about the PS3 release of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 that came in a regular PS3 case with artwork, but no disc - only a download code.  Some people were paying top dollar (above digital price) for sealed copies just to have something to put on the shelf!  I don't like to use the phrase smh, but that's about all I can come up with.

smh

argyle

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 12:37:24 pm »
Gamestop sells those metallic chases for various digital games, but because there is no disk in them I cannot consider them part of the collection.

I know they sold a case w/ key for Marvel vs Capcom 2 as well as a Middle Earth game, both for PS3. Are these what you are referring to, or have they done this with others that I'm not aware of?

As for the topic at hand, I'm with everyone saying that I don't have enough space as it is. I have outgrown my game room by a good stretch with a ton of stuff packed away as it is, I definitely don't want to make up new stuff to add to the clutter. But as others have also said, if it is something that will make you happy then go for it - it's your collection. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 06:20:28 pm »
I personally don't count digital games as my collection, but I also don't count incomplete games either.  :P
I was a little bummed to find out there wasn't a disc in the Unravel bundle I bought. I saw the code on the receipt when I brought it home.
If it makes it easier to flip through and decide what to play, go for it!! It's your collection and your space.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 09:28:31 am »
I wanted to do something similar a few months ago then I realized i'm a lazy bitch so I didn't do it lol

pzeke

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 11:06:40 am »
I wanted to do something similar a few months ago then I realized i'm a lazy bitch so I didn't do it lol

Yeah, same here. I actually wanted to do something like this for my WiiWare purchases, but being a serious procrastinator deterred that. The idea resurfaced years later for my PC games, but I concluded I would be wasting space, which really isn't a luxury for me.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!