Author Topic: Best dad in video game history?  (Read 2332 times)

Best dad in video game history?
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:22:58 pm »
In honor of father's day i want to wish all the dad gamers on here a wonderful father's day. :)

What better day than to look over the parent qualities of the Dads of our gaming history to determine who was the best dad in video games ever :D

My pick for best dad ever in gaming is Joel from the last of us.   While he isn't biologically Ellie's dad he sure is the most fatherly figure i may have ever seen in media let alone gaming.  Playing as him makes you feel like a dad.  Protecting your newly adopted step daughter through a post pandemic universe as you cope with the pain of losing your real daughter.   Never has a game made me feel a father/daughter bond the way this one does.  And as someone who doesn't have kids it was the closest to actually being a dad you can experience in a game :D.   
And while he doesn't accept Ellie as a daughter figure early on,  he clearly doesn't show it through his actions.  He is as dadly a dad can get in video games and i think he has most of the characteristics you need in a post pandemic universe. 

Here are some more honorable mentions!!  :)

As you can see,  i picked father figures and not only biological dads because i feel father's day is for the step dads filling in the role as well and for anyone who is raising a child as a dad figure. Being a dad isn't just genetics.  Anyone can make a child.  Raising a child is what makes a dad a dad.   :)

Who is your pick for best dad in video games?  :D

azure

Re: Best dad in video game history?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 04:26:48 pm »

Papa Nier best dad

solaine

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:06:28 pm »

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 05:57:59 pm »

Ness's Dad from EarthBound. He gives advice, money and saves your game.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

indenton

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:04:50 pm »

Not much to him, never seen on screen but helps you out through the whole journey

telly

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 09:11:24 pm »

Not much to him, never seen on screen but helps you out through the whole journey

I was thinking Flint from Mother 3 personally. He's a much better dad with more character to him.

Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 09:47:05 pm »

That's what makes him interesting to me. There could be nothing to him, there could be a lot to him, either way, I can't think of too many characters that impact a game like that.
He can't be a physical part of his son's life but he still cares enough to call and talk and be part of his life. As someone who's Dad was away working a lot of my young life, I relate to Ness and his Dad's relationship.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

soera

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:28:28 am »

indenton

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 09:26:33 am »

That's what makes him interesting to me. There could be nothing to him, there could be a lot to him, either way, I can't think of too many characters that impact a game like that.
He can't be a physical part of his son's life but he still cares enough to call and talk and be part of his life. As someone who's Dad was away working a lot of my young life, I relate to Ness and his Dad's relationship.

Looking back at my reply, it sounded like I was talking down your answer, I'm agreeing with you.  DESPITE not appearing on-screen, he helps the player out.  Any other game, even RPGs would just have an option on a menu. 

kashell

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 09:43:41 am »
Clive Winslett from Wild ARMs 3. He's a great husband, father, and fighter. Plus, green hair and glasses.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 10:33:54 am »
Clive Winslett from Wild ARMs 3. He's a great husband, father, and fighter. Plus, green hair and glasses.

*Swoon*  He was always my favorite character in 3.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 10:48:39 am »
Octodad is my pick also.

kashell

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 11:32:24 am »

Virginia is my favorite character, but Clive is a close second. He's fantastic, and beastly powerful.

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 11:39:34 am »

Virginia is my favorite character, but Clive is a close second. He's fantastic, and beastly powerful.
Virginia is a close second for me.

doafan

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 12:41:08 pm »
No offense but with the exception of Joel from The Last of Us I only saw a bunch of pu** kitties here, for me two of the best dad's ever are Harry Mason from Silent Hill and Mike Haggar from Final Fight these two are not only some of the toughest dads, they do love their girls and definitely they would do anything to rescue them, wouldn't mess with these two  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy