Author Topic: Is Yoshi a girl?  (Read 3166 times)

Is Yoshi a girl?
« on: June 06, 2017, 12:14:06 pm »
The most profound and debated question ever in gaming.  The "which came first the chicken or the egg" of gaming riddles.  :D.   

Me and my brother used to argue about it a lot when we were young and everyone has a side. Which side are you? :)

Team Yoshi is a Boy,  Team Yoshi is a girl,  Team Yoshi is a Hermaphrodite?     

It's so profound and changes the whole way we think of everything when we look beyond as not just a game but as a realistic life comparison of what a dinosaur would be like. Most of us growing up called him a boy,  he makes boy noises and the game never distinguished it's gender early on.  But wasn't that assuming Yoshi's gender?  That's really insensitive to Yoshi.   But Yoshi lays eggs.  Girl reptiles lay Eggs.   Yoshi is a girl right?   I am not too well versed on the Anatomy of Dinosaurs.  But i always though girls layed the eggs in the animal kingdom? :)

I am team Yoshi is a girl. :).   They didnt have to put a pink bow or scream it in your face that Yoshi was a girl.  It was just a non girly girl. It was very pure in essence of Nintendo. Throwing gender roles to the wind and keeping Nintendo real :).  Or maybe yoshi is a blank canvas for the fans to find in Yoshi what they want to find,  Thus Yoshi becomes you :D.

And their is a smash melee Yoshi trophy that detials that Yoshi is Asexual.   Asexual means has no desire for sex or no sexual relations.  That was kinda strange for Nintendo to add.  It changes nothing about the gender controversy lol.   Now we need to wonder is Yoshi a Asexual girl or a Asexual boy?  Or a Asexual Hermaphrodite.      But thanks Nintendo for sharing that personal secret of Yoshi's on one of your most acclaimed GameCube games.  I'm sure Yoshi appreciates it lol  ;D

What gender do you think Yoshi is. :D.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:18:06 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Is Yoshi a girl?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 01:01:19 pm »
I believe that Nintendo has addressed this. That Yoshi is a species, not a certain character. That's why there are multi-colored Yoshi's out there. And that as a species, all Yoshis can lay eggs regardless of sex.

And Nintendo explained this (though I can't remember where I read it, exactly).

On a related note: Birdo from Super Mario Bros. 2 (the pink guy with the bow that shoots eggs at you), is a boy that is very feminine. Truth, look it up.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:03:13 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »
Its the same thing with the Toads. They're essentially genderless.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:46:05 am »
On a related note: Birdo from Super Mario Bros. 2 (the pink guy with the bow that shoots eggs at you), is a boy that is very feminine. Truth, look it up.

That's in the Super Mario Bros. 2 manual.  I always thought that was really weird to put in there. 

Then how do you explain Toadette?

azure

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 11:11:42 am »
I always thought the Toads were kinda like Smurfs. Growing up I always referred to Yoshi as a he, but I just see them as gender-less nowadays.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:21:25 am »
I think The Yoshi like the one that appears in Super Mario World and all of the spin-offs and Smash Brothers is a male.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 06:15:25 pm »

But why did they make Toadette if Toads were already genderless? Isn't toadette a girl version of toad? Why not just a toad with a pink head or such?  Are toads asexual like the Yoshis?  Is Toadette a Transexual Toad? Then their is the whole trans thing.  What if Yoshi identifies as a boy but was born female or vice versa? It's so complex digging into the diverse world of Nintendo anatomy lol.  :) 

Not many things other than plants and some single cellular life forms and bacteria or some oceanic critters could be labeled as genderless.  Most living creatures have a gender like humans and almost any reptilian/dinosaur like Yoshi :D.   Nintendo saying they are genderless is so confusing because it goes against all we know about animals and life forms. Unless Yoshi is a parasite or maybe an alien? Maybe Yoshi is from a different planet hence why he can be found in the galaxys of super mario galaxy.  Is it a mass conspiracy to keep us guessing by Nintendo? :)    They say in the japanese version of the smash melee trophy that Yoshi is neither boy nor girl and had the nerve to plaster Yoshi's asexuality on a AAA title purchased by millions of people lol.  But how can a egg hatching animal be genderless?  Asexual animals don't reproduce that way i don't think.  And where did the egg come from? A sexual genderless animal wouldn't have reproductive organs to lay an egg out of.  Yoshi must have a private part where the egg comes from. The egg comes from under the tail.  And without digging too deep into the intagables i would say Yoshi by scientific hypothesis has to be a typical egg laying female reptile :).    But science is tossed out the window with video game worlds.  Yoshi is 1 of a kind.     

I wish i could meet Mr.Miyamoto to ask him the ancient riddle. I would bow and ask the god himself for all the answers without any developer to make their own assumption. At least with the old Mario Bros. riddle of what Mario's last name was.  Mr Miyamoto confirmed that it was Mario Mario.   as confusing and silly as identical first and last names are, at least it was confirmed from the source and we got the Miyamoto blessing on it lol.   

I guess we were never really meant to look so deep into Yoshi's gender. Maybe it was the plan all alone.  To show that gender never really mattered and was all just a nonsensical illusion. It shows how meaningless of a role gender plays in the grand scheme of things of us being who we are.  Yoshi is a brave and amazing hero and a beloved icon of our childhoods and we never looked to the gender or labeled him/her/it as anything.   Yoshi was always just Yoshi.  loved for it's merit and loyalty and not for it's gender or gender roles.  It's truly a beacon of hope and a beautiful enthralling tale :)

I guess we can find in Yoshi what we want to find.  We can find ourselves.....   :D

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:28:20 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:02:44 pm »
It's like poke'mon you can't tell most of them are male or female. Toadette (and toadsworth) are just a shiny variant.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 11:34:00 am »
Girl means female human child. So I doubt it.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 02:36:04 am »
Then how do you explain Toadette?

Maybe she only self-identifies as female.   :o

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 05:32:20 pm »

Yea this is an interesting bit of trivia: Birdo is gaming's first trans character.  "A boy that wants to be a girl."

As for Yoshi, maybe he (they?) just has a very unusual reproduction method, like seahorses!  I've always thought of him (them?) as male.