Author Topic: Genres you just aren't into anymore  (Read 4154 times)

pzeke

Re: Genres you just aren't into anymore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 08:37:30 pm »
Fighting games for me. Back in the heyday when arcades where all the rage, I was deep into them, but as time went on I felt less and less motivated to play them. Not like I was good at them to be begin with, but I had fun.

My interest for the genre is still there, though, so I find myself being a spectator more than anything these days.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

kashell

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 09:54:07 am »
I used to be a huge fan of fighting games. Growing up, there was a pool/country club that had a Street Fighter II arcade machine that I would take over during the swim breaks. That started my enjoyment of the genre. Eventually, Smash Bros. and Guilty Gear became my two favorite series. I also played King of Fighters, BlazBlue, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur II, and others.

Mixing fighting series' is never good due to how different they play from each other. I focused mainly on Smash Bros. and Guilty Gear. Smash Bros. ended up being my best fighter just because we would play it every day.

I tried really hard to get good at Guilty Gear, but I wasn't willing to put in the time in the lab and/or play online matches.

Now, I don't touch the genre unless it's a quick bout of Smash Bros. when I'm visiting family or some friends. I would love to be good at them, but I'd rather play other games instead of practicing combos and studying frames. Guilty Gear still holds a special place in my gamer heart.

pzeke

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 02:18:53 pm »
I played mainly at arcades, and wouldn't discriminate, but my preferred machine was X-Men vs. Street Fighter. In fact, there's a Pizza Hut near where I live that had it, and every time I went there I would play and manage to reach the end while waiting for my order. Then fast forward years later and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 came out. I loved everything about it, especially being a huge comicbook nerd at the time. That game truly showcased how bad I was at fighting games competitively. No matter what I did, I just couldn't keep up with it. The game, as we all know was a big hit, so I remember being able to play and beat the game by myself only once on a late Friday night.

After a while I moved to Tekken 4 because the arcade I frequented at the time had a major influx of girls that liked playing it, and I liked that quite a lot.

Guilty Gear still holds a special place in my gamer heart.

The best part of Guilty Gear is its music. Seriously. I love the series, but damn those soundtracks are glorious.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

kashell

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 04:12:38 pm »
Love, love, love Guilty Gear's music. But, the way it amplified 2D fighting was my favorite aspect of it. Tack on a unique cast of crazy characters in a crazier world, and you've got a solid formula.

telly

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 05:36:41 pm »
I used to play a ton of racing games like NFS and Midnight Club, but now I don't anymore. I think I would still enjoy them though, I might try to pick up Hot Pursuit 2 one of these days...
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

doafan

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 05:58:42 pm »
Kinda surprised to see that many RPG at this topic but form me it has to be Survival horror and not because I don't wanna mainly because this genre at least to me is practically dead, miss the old fucking glorious days when Resident Evil/Silent Hill almost made me piss myself when I run outta ammo or because of that music that made me think that I wasn't alone at my room when was playing SH at midnight, those were some awesome moments even when I was scared as hell  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 11:25:12 pm »
Kinda surprised to see that many RPG at this topic but form me it has to be Survival horror and not because I don't wanna mainly because this genre at least to me is practically dead,

DO you or did you ever play DOOM 3 or any of the DOOM series?
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 10:55:28 am »
Kinda surprised to see that many RPG at this topic but form me it has to be Survival horror and not because I don't wanna mainly because this genre at least to me is practically dead,

Are you implying that Doom is a survival horror game lol?

doafan

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 12:57:37 pm »

Sorry dude but Doom is not a Survival Horror it's a FPS  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 01:15:04 pm »
FPS for sure. When Halo came out, my friends and I lived on that couch. I think when they got more and more competitive and switched to an online format I lost interest. It's to the point where I would order Splatoon 2 right now if it had couch co-op (single console), but wont because the playing online/competitively aspect just really doesn't appeal to me.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 01:36:10 pm »
The Online competition genre (OR STAGE OF GAMES) is dead for me because of all the cheap skate people who park their ass on a server and mess with it or just plain cheat, anyone else feel me? >:(

Lol well what do you call a video game where you shoot zombies and demons before they kill you. At the rate of todays FPS you'd think that all FPS's are people shooting video games. :D in which reminds me to tell people that there are survival horror mods for games like DOOM II and Ultimate DOOM for PC ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:41:51 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

kashell

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 04:20:16 pm »
I mean...it depends on the game, of course. But, DOOM is regarded as a first-person shooter. You're running and gunning demons in Metal Slug, Contra, and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin just to name a few. Those aren't considered survival-horror, either.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 05:18:49 pm »
I've been gaming for a lot of years and gone threw a lot different stages where I thought I didn't like a certain type of game anymore but eventually a game comes out and i get right back into it again.Sometimes I even get into a game I tried years before and hated only to find out it's great.

brazbit

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 04:30:49 pm »
First Person... Anything. I've never been the biggest on FPS but have really enjoyed some (Doom, Tribes, Halo, Etc...) but once graphics reached a certain level of detail it become too hard to distinguish enemies from allies from background clutter. I tried Halo Master Chief Edition but always had to switch back to original graphics whenever I was outside as all the various details (bushes, darker colors, etc..) made it impossible for me to tell anything apart. Sure the new graphics were pretty, but the game was unplayable with them given my various vision issues. With driving games I have to switch to third person as first person is nothing like actually driving and lane position is infinitely easier to see from above/behind, also you get to see more of the vehicle and damage that way.

Not a single genre, but the other thing would be most anything online. I was a beta tester for the first generation of Xbox Live and loved it, this was the future of gaming. I was big into online PC games going back to the 90s on PCs but since about mid-way through the previous generation of consoles most online experiences are more annoying than anything as there always seems to be at least one person that insists on being a never ending string of expletives (Don't they need to breathe?) or someone is cheating/exploiting or otherwise out to ruin everyone else's fun. It just isn't worth the bother any more and with game makers turning their back on story modes and local play experiences there are many good looking games that look like they'd be great that I don't even bother with them. When I do give in and give them a try (say... Titanfall) I find that nothing has changed.

pzeke

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 05:11:55 pm »
Yeah, while I don't particularly detest FPS, as I've played and enjoyed some, it's one of those genres that I could happily do without.

And ditto on the online part. While I really never played online on consoles and PC, I did through Wi-Fi with the Nintendo DS and Wii, and the experiences weren't usually the best, as I almost always would be paired against someone who clearly was using a cheating device. I did end up getting one myself to battle "fire with fire", but after a while the fun was no longer there and I moved on.