Author Topic: Still Confused About Accuracy  (Read 1767 times)

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

Still Confused About Accuracy
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:37:01 am »
I still don’t understand why we can’t name games the legitimate way they are stylized by the publisher, developer and game historians. Instead you only allow how some moronic graphic artist has portrayed the name on the front or spine artwork. For example, the name should be "LittleBigPlanet" and not "LittleBIGPlanet" for the PSP.  At least it’s stylized correctly FOUR TIMES on the back cover!!!

The Style guide only states, “Use the item's regional release title, written in the language written on the case…". I can’t find any reference stating we can only use the information on the front and spine. Are we to ignore what is printed on the back of the case or dismiss a game’s trademarked name? To hell with legal accuracy, right?

Re: Still Confused About Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 08:31:40 am »
Honestly, I thought the style guide specifically stated to use the name displayed on the spine.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 10:14:37 am »
For example, the name should be "LittleBigPlanet" and not "LittleBIGPlanet" for the PSP.

This is correct. It should be put as LittleBigPlanet.

Spines can't be used as a general rule because many games have incomplete titles on the spine, or do not have spine titles at all. But we know the vast majority of games do have their full title on the front of the packaging.

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:33:39 am »
For example, the name should be "LittleBigPlanet" and not "LittleBIGPlanet" for the PSP.

This is correct. It should be put as LittleBigPlanet.

Spines can't be used as a general rule because many games have incomplete titles on the spine, or do not have spine titles at all. But we know the vast majority of games do have their full title on the front of the packaging.

Then why was my correction of the title rejected?

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:01:55 pm »
I don't know the answer to that question.  :(

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 01:27:06 pm »
I still don’t understand why we can’t name games the legitimate way they are stylized by the publisher, developer and game historians. Instead you only allow how some moronic graphic artist has portrayed the name on the front or spine artwork. For example, the name should be "LittleBigPlanet" and not "LittleBIGPlanet" for the PSP.  At least it’s stylized correctly FOUR TIMES on the back cover!!!

The Style guide only states, “Use the item's regional release title, written in the language written on the case…". I can’t find any reference stating we can only use the information on the front and spine. Are we to ignore what is printed on the back of the case or dismiss a game’s trademarked name? To hell with legal accuracy, right?

I still would go for the front title, as most games don't have backs in this database.

And that its 'stylized correctly four times on the back cover!!!' come on. Did you check the rest of the titles from littlebigplant in all the platforms?

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 11:06:56 pm »

I still would go for the front title, as most games don't have backs in this database.

And that its 'stylized correctly four times on the back cover!!!' come on. Did you check the rest of the titles from littlebigplant in all the platforms?

As well as the correct spelling of  “LittleBigPlanet” appearing 4 times on the PSP back cover, it appears 3 times on the back of the PS3 version, and 3 times on the PS Vita. For LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3), 3 times and for LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4), 2 times.

It's most likely stated at least 3 times on the back of your PSP game: LittleBIGPlanet - Creator's Edition [NL][DE][IT][FR]. Making false assumptions is foolish before doing your own research.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:44:02 am by SilverBow »

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 07:15:40 am »

As well as the correct spelling of  “LittleBigPlanet” appearing 4 times on the PSP back cover, it appears 3 times on the back of the PS3 version, and 3 times on the PS Vita. For LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3), 3 times and for LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4), 2 times.

It's most likely stated at least 3 times on the back of your PSP game: LittleBIGPlanet - Creator's Edition [NL][DE][IT][FR]. Making false assumptions is foolish before doing your own research.

You are still missing the point, (almost) no one looks at the back!

Funny you call this research. Its not science, its a name.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:24:17 am by fazerco »

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 03:20:42 pm »

You are still missing the point, (almost) no one looks at the back!

Funny you call this research. Its not science, its a name.

It's obvious that you don't know the definition of research. Look it up. I always read the back, and that's how I discover the numerous errors that are entered into our database, and also those on other sites that I help. Sorry, but I care about accuracy, and I was led to believe that the Admins do too.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:25:16 pm by SilverBow »

pacpix

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 12:24:50 am »
No need to argue about this, please keep it civil.

That's my bad on rejecting the edit.  If you submit it again I will accept it (if I am going through the queue at that time).

Don't worry we do care about accuracy, but we are also human  ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:29:26 am by pacpix »
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 01:20:48 pm »
I dont mind, but he has to change them all at the same time. Not just the one.