Author Topic: Top Loading NES Question  (Read 1797 times)

athmaus

Top Loading NES Question
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:55:47 am »
I got together with my father-in-law and build a gaming console to hold all my systems (wife was happy as it reclaimed closet space taking up by all the boxes) that i have had since childhood.  I got everything plugged in and i noticed (forgot) that my top loader NES only has an RF out, the original NES has a Red/Yellow output on the side (which i never knew until recently) either...the things u don't know realize as a child.  :o

Do you know a good converter so i can hook up the NES to a Composite cable so i can not use TV Channel 3 and use input AV instead, which will hook up to the rest of my setup.  More worried about when i replace the TV in there it might not have an antenna/RF port.

I have looked and found (and own) converters that turn Composite to RF but i need the other way around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Re: Top Loading NES Question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:31:37 pm »
You're better off modding the thing to output composite, instead of getting some kind of dinky converter. Or better yet, there's HDMI mods now.

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:21:20 pm »
The device you seek is called an RF De-modulator, this will do exactly as you need (that is convert an RF signal to composite video with mono sound). The issue with an RF De-modulator is that they are very uncommon and difficult to come by as standalone units and are typically very expensive. A quick search on eBay shows that the average price for one ranges from 50 to 80 dollars. A good alternative to an RF De-modulator is the fact that most VCR units have an RF modulator and De-modulator built in. You should be able to pick one up for a few bucks at a thrift store, maybe even score one for free.

There are also A/V receivers that can convert RF signals into composite video, component video and digital video through HDMI as well. Another good alternative is to just modify the system as badATchaos recommended. A composite video mod is very simple and straight forward (even for a novice - I modded my Intellivision for composite video and I'm none too skilled), a pretty cheap kit can be found at http://retrofixes.com. An HDMI mod would be ideal if you have an HDTV in your setup, but unfortunately they are pretty expensive and make the system incompatible with analog television sets.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:24:46 pm by aliensstudios »
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

athmaus

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 10:26:11 pm »
Thank you for both of your suggestions.  Will check it out.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 03:15:15 pm »
I totally appreciate the nostalgia of playing your old console, but I would suggest simply buying an original NES console.  However, I'm not sure if they use the same power supply so I would hate to steer you the wrong way (if the console you were to buy doesn't come with one).  But that way you could have your composite out and save the wear and tear on your top loader.

Generally speaking - RF was great when we were kids (we didn't know any better!), but the signal is so terribly piss-poor that you'll soon begin to hate it.  I highly, highly recommend doing just about anything to avoid using RF at all in your setup.

If you really want the best there is, get a modder to mod your NES with a NESRGB board -> Framemeister upscaler -> HDMI -> HDTV.  Warning: you will need new pants after you see how beautiful it is.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 04:26:13 pm »
I totally appreciate the nostalgia of playing your old console, but I would suggest simply buying an original NES console.  However, I'm not sure if they use the same power supply so I would hate to steer you the wrong way (if the console you were to buy doesn't come with one).  But that way you could have your composite out and save the wear and tear on your top loader.

Generally speaking - RF was great when we were kids (we didn't know any better!), but the signal is so terribly piss-poor that you'll soon begin to hate it.  I highly, highly recommend doing just about anything to avoid using RF at all in your setup.

If you really want the best there is, get a modder to mod your NES with a NESRGB board -> Framemeister upscaler -> HDMI -> HDTV.  Warning: you will need new pants after you see how beautiful it is.
A new pair of pants and about a grand to purchase all of that
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

athmaus

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 04:33:29 pm »

Haha!  I do have an original NES, but it is giving me the red blinking light error.  Think the 72 pin needs to be replaced, but the Top loader is working fine.  Sad as the system did work when i found it.  (It was in a thrift shop, in the box, contains EVERYTHING include the dust cover, and i got it for 7 bucks as they had it tagged for half off that day!).

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 04:42:39 pm »

Haha!  I do have an original NES, but it is giving me the red blinking light error.  Think the 72 pin needs to be replaced, but the Top loader is working fine.  Sad as the system did work when i found it.  (It was in a thrift shop, in the box, contains EVERYTHING include the dust cover, and i got it for 7 bucks as they had it tagged for half off that day!).

I promise you it doesn't.  With a philips screwdriver and a small screwdriver or a sewing needle (I've used both), you can get that thing working again. 
Go to YouTube and search NES rehab.  Please don't buy one of those replacement 72pin connectors

athmaus

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 04:49:32 pm »

I promise you it doesn't.  With a philips screwdriver and a small screwdriver or a sewing needle (I've used both), you can get that thing working again. 
Go to YouTube and search NES rehab.  Please don't buy one of those replacement 72pin connectors

Ah, i will try that out.  Is this the video you were referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZRS2LZL-1M

Or do you suggest a better one?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:26 am »

Ah, i will try that out.  Is this the video you were referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZRS2LZL-1M

Or do you suggest a better one?

Don't do that.  Don't get a new 72pin connector.  The cheap, Chinese-made ones on you can buy suck.  They are too tight and ridged.  They can even damage games. 

With just a little work (15 min or so) you can pull out your original, Nintendo-made 72 pin connector and bring it back to life. 

Check this video out.  It's very dry, but it's good information.    https://youtu.be/FLxPmVgy4mI

athmaus

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 12:18:31 pm »
Thanks will check that out this weekend or next and let you know.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 10:28:54 pm »
Quote from: athmaus

You really have 2 logical and simple choices in this situation athmaus!

1: you should try to clean all your NES cartridge tips with 97% Isopropyl Alcohol  and a cue tip and scrubbing them all with a cue tip (both sides) and scrub the top edge with a dry cue tip after. then blow on the cartridges to dry them. insert them into the NES turn them on.  and keep inserting and re-inserting the same game testing it with both the power and the NES reset button. (OR) ::)

2: Get a Retro Duo or Retro Trio (a new one) BUT FIRST. *(CLEAN YOUR CARTRIDGES)* heck mine were so DIRTY when I first started collecting them not even my new Retro Duo would read them.  ;) now all them read  :D

The Retro Duo cannot be touched by a dog or cat or anything while on or else you have a ruined game session. but that is why you should be carefull
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:35:19 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

athmaus

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 10:06:29 am »
Quote from: athmaus

You really have 2 logical and simple choices in this situation athmaus!

1: you should try to clean all your NES cartridge tips with 97% Isopropyl Alcohol  and a cue tip and scrubbing them all with a cue tip (both sides) and scrub the top edge with a dry cue tip after. then blow on the cartridges to dry them. insert them into the NES turn them on.  and keep inserting and re-inserting the same game testing it with both the power and the NES reset button. (OR) ::)

2: Get a Retro Duo or Retro Trio (a new one) BUT FIRST. *(CLEAN YOUR CARTRIDGES)* heck mine were so DIRTY when I first started collecting them not even my new Retro Duo would read them.  ;) now all them read  :D

The Retro Duo cannot be touched by a dog or cat or anything while on or else you have a ruined game session. but that is why you should be carefull

Thanks for the tips!! I def need o clean the carts!