Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 1032 times)

athmaus

Raspberry Pi
« on: July 03, 2017, 12:46:53 pm »
Do any of you have one of these? Was thinking about getting one to goof off with.

I heard a few very interesting things to do with them.  I ever heard you can get it to run plex, but it does have a few issues with that.  Any of you get one and have plex working on it or do anything cool with one?

pacpix

Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:04:56 pm »
I have one sitting on my network rack at home.  Right now I'm not doing anything too amazing with it.  All it does is sits and waits for a scheduled crontab job to run my python script that tweets one of 21 randomly selected lame pictures of Garfield everyday.  ;D https://twitter.com/ihatemondaysbot

They are fun to play around with if you have any interest in Linux, IT, programming, etc.  It's best to have a project in mind before getting one though.  Mine sat around for quite a while as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 12:50:16 am »
I have a pi zero that I'm trying to get RetroPie working on. I know dick about Linux and programming. It may be too late to teach this old dog new tricks.
But if I get this working, I have at least 3 more projects in mind.

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 01:02:58 am »
I've been thinking about getting one as a dedicated emulation box as well, but I don't have a tv that's not right next to my computer so I'm not sure I really need it.  Plus I don't really get much gaming in these days anyways. Would be nice for taking over to a friend's house or something though.

If there is a certain step you are struggling with to set it up feel free to PM me turf.  IT is my day job (networking specifically, but I used to do support) so I might be able to help ya out  :)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 09:27:24 am »
I've been thinking about getting one as a dedicated emulation box as well, but I don't have a tv that's not right next to my computer so I'm not sure I really need it.  Plus I don't really get much gaming in these days anyways. Would be nice for taking over to a friend's house or something though.

If there is a certain step you are struggling with to set it up feel free to PM me turf.  IT is my day job (networking specifically, but I used to do support) so I might be able to help ya out  :)

I appreciate it.
It's mainly just something for me to tinker with.  Maybe I'll get something cool working on it someday.

athmaus

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:05:30 am »
I did get one and i even got plex up and running on it as a test.  Issue i found (besides needing a larger SSD) is the CPU is not powerful enough to do the transcoding on certain files so it either times out or gets error messages.  Oh well...

Going to get a bigger card and try some of the emulation things and see waht i can cook up with.

Been ages since i have done anythign with Linux so it has been kinda fun.