Author Topic: What You Don't Like About The Nintendo 64  (Read 5071 times)

sworddude

Re: What You Don't Like About The Nintendo 64
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 07:15:22 am »
The controller ain't that bad if your used to it.

And there are some uncommon gems on this system like Goemons great adventure 2 wich has awesome 3D arcade grapics wich looks and plays great my favourite game on the system.

I don't think however that my collection for N64 will exceed 40 games there isn't to much good stuff around for the N64 especially for other games than mario zelda and pokemon games.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:36:39 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dreama1

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 07:51:26 am »
It's a console that's impossible to name a top 50 list without shit on it.

Gotta disagree there. Take the top 50 rated N64 games (with at least 10 reviews each) and number #50 (Pokemon Puzzle League) still scores an 82.6%. 

In any case, while I do love the system, putting countless hours into games like Smash Bros., Perfect Dark, Harvest Moon 64, and Pokemon Stadium during my middle school years, I do recognize that it has flaws. Probably the most irksome nowadays are how the cartridges are presented. That they didn't make it so the box could double as a cartridge holder and that they didn't have the sticker reach the top or side of the cartridge for easy identification is rather annoying. Thankfully, both have been fixed thanks to various third party groups, but it's still annoying. The lack of good RPGs is also a detriment, but I will admit to not noticing it as much when I was growing up with the system as I had a good amount for the Game Boy and was also introduced to SNES emulation around that time, so I was able to still get my fix.

As for the controller, I never really had a problem with it (outside of the Mario Party scars), but in retrospect, it was an unnecessary design. While the overarching idea was that a game could use one of the 3 sets of grips, whatever best suited the game, very few games made use of the Left-Right configuration and I can't think of any that used the Left-Center configuration.  It would have been better to just replace the d-pad with a better stick and to remove the center grip. In any case, it is still far more comfortable in the hands than a Playstation controller is. I can't hold a dualshock for much longer than 15 minutes or so without developing hand cramps (too small and not ergonomic enough for my hands).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHc8S82AjOo
Sums the N64 up pretty much.

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 08:00:22 am »
The n64 is a great party system though

not many systems with easy 4 player support.

The mario party games, smash bros mario kart 64,

It doesn;t have many great games but the games that are there are pretty nice.

Allot of the first party characters are there such as kirby pokemon zelda etc with some stellar games.

The first party titles are definitly not the worst 3D games and in allot of times far better looking than 3D games on the ps1 such as spyro or crash bandicoot in my opinion wich were the better looking 3D games on the ps1.

It might just have a small library of games wich are great but the ones that are ,are the games that people want to play and buy wich is why the hype for N64.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:06:11 am by sworddude »

dreama1

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 08:00:33 am »
Personally I've never been a fan of the Nintendo 64 ever since its launch in North America. This could be for a couple of reasons;

- It was over hyped in majority video-game magazines, when in reality software library lacked variety.
- I wasn't impressed with the 3D graphics, Jumping Flash! impressed me which was released a year prior.
- I remember playing Tomb Raider on my Sega Saturn two months after Mario 64 release, which had a similar experience.
- Never was a fan of 3-D platform genre.

Another reason why I dislike N64 could be, I grew up playing arcade games and really enjoyed bringing the experience home which I decided to go with Sega Saturn, and eventually PlayStation instead. Ironically I grew up with Nintendo Entertianment System, Super Nintendo, and Game Boy Pocket and enjoyed playing them immensely.
The Saturn was the true successor to the super famicom. It's games reflected this.

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 08:07:36 am »
Personally I've never been a fan of the Nintendo 64 ever since its launch in North America. This could be for a couple of reasons;

- It was over hyped in majority video-game magazines, when in reality software library lacked variety.
- I wasn't impressed with the 3D graphics, Jumping Flash! impressed me which was released a year prior.
- I remember playing Tomb Raider on my Sega Saturn two months after Mario 64 release, which had a similar experience.

Another reason why I dislike N64 could be, I grew up playing arcade games and really enjoyed bringing the experience home which I decided to go with Sega Saturn, and eventually PlayStation instead. Ironically I grew up with Nintendo Entertianment System, Super Nintendo, and Game Boy Pocket and enjoyed playing them immensely.
The Saturn was the true successor to the super famicom. It's games reflected this.

Sure but the prices for saturn are kinda high and to top it off not easy to aquire games for outside of ebay especially if your looking for the 2D games.

The more common games are usually the 3D racing games and some other crap titles.

dreama1

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 08:19:58 am »

Sure but the prices for saturn are kinda high and to top it off not easy to aquire games for outside of ebay especially if your looking for the 2D games.

The more common games are usually the 3D racing games and some other crap titles.
If we are talking about the most economically friendly. There's no discussion. It's the ps1.

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 08:31:30 am »

If we are talking about the most economically friendly. There's no discussion. It's the ps1.

I disagree Xbox, ps2 coming to second unless you collect the better games wich were not the mainstream gta racing games etc.

As far as console go at this era sure ps1.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:33:31 am by sworddude »

kashell

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 09:20:07 am »
We had a Nintendo 64 growing up, but the only game we played (and, truthfully, needed) was Smash Bros. I didn't mind the controller. I appreciated that it looked like the end of Poseidon's trident. I actually think it's better than the Game Cube controller, but that's another discussion for another time. It's not my least favorite of Nintendo's consoles, but it has issues.

-The majority of the non-sports and npn-racing games were collectathons. In fact, Quest 64 was a collectathon disguised as an RPG.
-Speaking of RPGs, there was nothing there except Ogre Battle 64. If not for Ogre Battle, the system would be an RPG flop. (I haven't played Paper Mario or Hybrid Heaven, but I never had the desire to do so.)
-Kirby 64 was basic as hell. As a Kirby fan, I was very disappointed.
-Early 3D graphics were fugly. Other consoles are guilty of this, but this was supposed to be the N64's claim to fame.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 11:03:47 am »
I like it.  It's not my favorite system of all time, but it had some really good stuff.
Those THQ Wrestling games were great.  All of them. 
Star Fox 64
Rogue Squardon
Ocarina of Time
Conker's  Bad Fur day
Mario Kart 64
Perfect Dark
Smash Bros
Shadows of the Empire
Excitebike 64

Those are all still fun.  That's enough to buy a $30 system

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 11:27:30 am »
I really like the N64 and in fact it is my favorite Nintendo console. I admit the early 3D of many of the games did not age well, but that doesn't discount how awesome its library is, especially since it has fewer than 300 games released for it, at least in north America. Never had an issue with its controller either which is something a lot of people hate on heavily. The other criticism I hear a lot is the lack of variety in the types of games, citing that much of the library is either racing or sports games. While there are many games of these genres on the N64, this argument discounts the many other great titles that aren't of these two genres and also discounts that many of the games of these genres are actually pretty good. Speaking of genres, there aren't many RPGs on the N64, which I think is a fair criticism. I have made a point to collect only the best games on the N64 (save a few titles), and these titles go toe to toe and even exceed anything on the SNES or NES (except possibly in the RPG department).

I dare you to not be a moron who regurgitates things you read on reddit and actually look at the library.

Your comment proves you know very little about the N64's library if you think there are less than 50 good games for the console, much less 50 okay ones. I'll help you out, look at my N64 games I own and if you still stand by your statement you are beyond anyone's help.

You are allowed to not like the N64, but you have no right to write off a huge chunk of the library as being shit just because you don't like them. I don't like the Metal Gear games, but I'm not about to call them shit or bad games. Just not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:35:24 am by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 12:11:05 pm »
The lack of RPGs. -_-

tripredacus

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 12:13:41 pm »
All of my best memories of N64 games is playing them on other platforms. So to start:
1. Not enough exclusive titles. And not just "console exclusives" I'm talking about games not on PC either.
2. Controller was weird.
3. Graphics are blurry on purpose.
4. Carts do not have spine labels.

I personally never owned an N64. I had a Saturn and then Dreamcast. So the only experiences I had with N64 when it was out was any friends that had it. And that also limited me to the games that they had. And then I can tell by the games they had that were just bad versions of other games.

Episode I Racer, Quake, Doom, Starcraft, Turok 2, Forsaken, Gauntlet Legends, Hexen, etc.

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 12:31:50 pm »
I really like the N64 and in fact it is my favorite Nintendo console. I admit the early 3D of many of the games did not age well, but that doesn't discount how awesome its library is, especially since it has fewer than 300 games released for it, at least in north America. Never had an issue with its controller either which is something a lot of people hate on heavily. The other criticism I hear a lot is the lack of variety in the types of games, citing that much of the library is either racing or sports games. While there are many games of these genres on the N64, this argument discounts the many other great titles that aren't of these two genres and also discounts that many of the games of these genres are actually pretty good. Speaking of genres, there aren't many RPGs on the N64, which I think is a fair criticism. I have made a point to collect only the best games on the N64 (save a few titles), and these titles go toe to toe and even exceed anything on the SNES or NES (except possibly in the RPG department).
It's hard to argue that any game with a metacritic rating of 75+ is considered shit and there are 56 N64 games with a rating of 75+, and I'd argue that a lot of the games under 75 aren't shit either.

Some examples of under 75 not being shit: Quake, Duke Nukem 64, Mario Party 3, Dr. Mario 64, Mystical Ninja, Yoshi's Story, Mega Man 64. 

Not to mention the fact that metacritic is missing nearly 2/3 of the library.

And before folks throw out the "Sports games are shit" there are a lot of sports games that are legitimately fun.  NFL Blitz, NBA Jam, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, WWF No Mercy, etc.  I get it's hard to look at sports games objectively because they release every year if not multiple times a year with little to no changes, but it doesn't make them not fun to play with other people.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:36:05 pm by ignition365 »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 12:35:20 pm »
Some examples of under 75 not being shit: Quake, Duke Nukem 64, Mario Party 3, Dr. Mario 64, Mystical Ninja, Yoshi's Story, Mega Man 64.  Not to mention the fact that metacritic is missing nearly 2/3 of the library.

Mega Man 64 is shit.  That is a scientific fact.

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 12:37:47 pm »
Some examples of under 75 not being shit: Quake, Duke Nukem 64, Mario Party 3, Dr. Mario 64, Mystical Ninja, Yoshi's Story, Mega Man 64.  Not to mention the fact that metacritic is missing nearly 2/3 of the library.

Mega Man 64 is shit.  That is a scientific fact.
*blows raspberry*  Eat a dick, turf.

Mega Man 64 and the Legends franchise in general is my favorite Mega Man series, and one of my favorite games.

So again, eat a dick.

You know... no offense though.