Author Topic: What You Don't Like About The Nintendo 64  (Read 5073 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: What You Don't Like About The Nintendo 64
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2017, 12:40:23 pm »
Some examples of under 75 not being shit: Quake, Duke Nukem 64, Mario Party 3, Dr. Mario 64, Mystical Ninja, Yoshi's Story, Mega Man 64.  Not to mention the fact that metacritic is missing nearly 2/3 of the library.

Mega Man 64 is shit.  That is a scientific fact.
*blows raspberry*  Eat a dick, turf.

Mega Man 64 and the Legends franchise in general is my favorite Mega Man series, and one of my favorite games.

So again, eat a dick.

You know... no offense though.

So you like bad games?  Mega Man Legends or Mega Man 64 isn't Mega Man.  Mega Man rules.  Those games do not. 

While I respect your opinion, your opinion is wrong.  ;)

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2017, 12:42:13 pm »
Some examples of under 75 not being shit: Quake, Duke Nukem 64, Mario Party 3, Dr. Mario 64, Mystical Ninja, Yoshi's Story, Mega Man 64.  Not to mention the fact that metacritic is missing nearly 2/3 of the library.

Mega Man 64 is shit.  That is a scientific fact.
*blows raspberry*  Eat a dick, turf.

Mega Man 64 and the Legends franchise in general is my favorite Mega Man series, and one of my favorite games.

So again, eat a dick.

You know... no offense though.

So you like bad games?  Mega Man Legends or Mega Man 64 isn't Mega Man.  Mega Man rules.  Those games do not. 

While I respect your opinion, your opinion is wrong.  ;)
Opinions are subjective and can't be wrong...

But objectively, you're being a dick...

But they do say you are what you eat.

Pictured: Turf's favorite snack.

soera

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 12:43:01 pm »
I can only name 1 game on the 64 that I find worth using my time ever playing : Mario Kart 64. Thats it. Period. End of discussion.

There isnt one other game on the system that I personally would invest money/time/lawn clippings to have anything to do with.

athmaus

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2017, 12:54:52 pm »
Loved it, the controller at times was not the greatest but it worked well (minus the sticks getting messed up all the time it seems).

Biggest complaint was lack of games in comparison to the PS1, especially good games like various JRPG's.  Most ports form PS1 were also a little dumbed down.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 02:01:47 pm »
Mega Man Legends is awesome...but thankfully you can play it on a PlayStation rather than using that monstrosity of a controller.

dreama1

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 02:21:59 pm »
Personally I've never been a fan of the Nintendo 64 ever since its launch in North America. This could be for a couple of reasons;

- It was over hyped in majority video-game magazines, when in reality software library lacked variety.
- I wasn't impressed with the 3D graphics, Jumping Flash! impressed me which was released a year prior.
- I remember playing Tomb Raider on my Sega Saturn two months after Mario 64 release, which had a similar experience.
- Never was a fan of 3-D platform genre.

Another reason why I dislike N64 could be, I grew up playing arcade games and really enjoyed bringing the experience home which I decided to go with Sega Saturn, and eventually PlayStation instead. Ironically I grew up with Nintendo Entertianment System, Super Nintendo, and Game Boy Pocket and enjoyed playing them immensely.
The Saturn was the true successor to the super famicom. It's games reflected this.

Sure but the prices for saturn are kinda high and to top it off not easy to aquire games for outside of ebay especially if your looking for the 2D games.

The more common games are usually the 3D racing games and some other crap titles.
If we are talking about the most economically friendly. There's no discussion. It's the ps1.

I disagree Xbox, ps2 coming to second unless you collect the better games wich were not the mainstream gta racing games etc.

As far as console go at this era sure ps1.
Presumed you meant 5th gen. And i'd still argue the 360 for more bang for buck. HD gaming and it's historic achieve of most of the games from the past at your finger tips for peanuts.

azure

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 02:28:23 pm »
+1 for the Mega Man Legends is awesome train. Mega Man Legends is a Mega Man game through and through, there is more than Classic and X.

dreama1

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2017, 02:38:01 pm »
I really like the N64 and in fact it is my favorite Nintendo console. I admit the early 3D of many of the games did not age well, but that doesn't discount how awesome its library is, especially since it has fewer than 300 games released for it, at least in north America. Never had an issue with its controller either which is something a lot of people hate on heavily. The other criticism I hear a lot is the lack of variety in the types of games, citing that much of the library is either racing or sports games. While there are many games of these genres on the N64, this argument discounts the many other great titles that aren't of these two genres and also discounts that many of the games of these genres are actually pretty good. Speaking of genres, there aren't many RPGs on the N64, which I think is a fair criticism. I have made a point to collect only the best games on the N64 (save a few titles), and these titles go toe to toe and even exceed anything on the SNES or NES (except possibly in the RPG department).
It's a console that's impossible to name a top 50 list without shit on it.
It's hard to argue that any game with a metacritic rating of 75+ is considered shit and there are 56 N64 games with a rating of 75+, and I'd argue that a lot of the games under 75 aren't shit either.

Some examples of under 75 not being shit: Quake, Duke Nukem 64, Mario Party 3, Dr. Mario 64, Mystical Ninja, Yoshi's Story, Mega Man 64. 

Not to mention the fact that metacritic is missing nearly 2/3 of the library.

And before folks throw out the "Sports games are shit" there are a lot of sports games that are legitimately fun.  NFL Blitz, NBA Jam, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, WWF No Mercy, etc.  I get it's hard to look at sports games objectively because they release every year if not multiple times a year with little to no changes, but it doesn't make them not fun to play with other people.
If you're rationalising sport games. You'll rationalise anything. If you're really proudly into sports games I think you could find a different system for those needs, and be much better catered too for a fraction of the price.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:46:30 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2017, 03:13:18 pm »
I really like the N64 and in fact it is my favorite Nintendo console. I admit the early 3D of many of the games did not age well, but that doesn't discount how awesome its library is, especially since it has fewer than 300 games released for it, at least in north America. Never had an issue with its controller either which is something a lot of people hate on heavily. The other criticism I hear a lot is the lack of variety in the types of games, citing that much of the library is either racing or sports games. While there are many games of these genres on the N64, this argument discounts the many other great titles that aren't of these two genres and also discounts that many of the games of these genres are actually pretty good. Speaking of genres, there aren't many RPGs on the N64, which I think is a fair criticism. I have made a point to collect only the best games on the N64 (save a few titles), and these titles go toe to toe and even exceed anything on the SNES or NES (except possibly in the RPG department).
It's hard to argue that any game with a metacritic rating of 75+ is considered shit and there are 56 N64 games with a rating of 75+, and I'd argue that a lot of the games under 75 aren't shit either.

Some examples of under 75 not being shit: Quake, Duke Nukem 64, Mario Party 3, Dr. Mario 64, Mystical Ninja, Yoshi's Story, Mega Man 64. 

And before folks throw out the "Sports games are shit" there are a lot of sports games that are legitimately fun.  NFL Blitz, NBA Jam, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, WWF No Mercy, etc.  I get it's hard to look at sports games objectively because they release every year if not multiple times a year with little to no changes, but it doesn't make them not fun to play with other people.
If you're rationalising sport games. You'll rationalise anything. If you're really proudly into sports games I think you could find a different system for those needs, and be much better catered to for a fraction of the price.
I like how your only comment is to knock on sports games, I'm glad you agree that the N64 has a great library and that your only complaint at this point is that sports games suck.  ;)

Anyway, you can't get the good AKI wrestling games on any platform other than N64.  Mario Golf and Mario Tennis obviously you can't get elsewhere, though Hot Shots Golf is a close one for Golf.  NFL Blitz and NBA Jam are a different breed of sports game and that's what makes them enjoyable.

Also, my statement was that there are fun sports games, not that all sports games are fun.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2017, 04:01:44 pm »
+1 for the Mega Man Legends is awesome train. Mega Man Legends is a Mega Man game through and through, there is more than Classic and X.

I think it's awesome, too (I posted as such above).

But that said, it really isn't a Mega Man game. They should've just started a new franchise. So I can totally see how the Mega Man diehard fans would hate it.

kashell

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2017, 04:03:40 pm »
Mega Man Legends?

More like Meh-ga Man Legends. HEY-O!

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2017, 04:10:38 pm »
Woo! Mega Man Legends! Love that game.  I'd rather play those than most of the sidescroller ones lol Maybe not the X series, but yeah...Certainly over the NES ones. Don't remember if I actually played Mega Man 64 though.  I know I played the PS1 version.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:13:17 pm by kamikazekeeg »

azure

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 04:34:41 pm »

I think it's awesome, too (I posted as such above).

But that said, it really isn't a Mega Man game. They should've just started a new franchise. So I can totally see how the Mega Man diehard fans would hate it.

A lot of diehard fans don't like BN/Starforce either, but they're still Mega Man games. Saying Legends isn't a traditional Mega Man game I could agree with. I see where people come from when saying it isn't a Mega Man game though, it is a big departure from the traditional style.

dreama1

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2017, 05:25:37 pm »

If you're rationalising sport games. You'll rationalise anything. If you're really proudly into sports games I think you could find a different system for those needs, and be much better catered to for a fraction of the price.
I like how your only comment is to knock on sports games, I'm glad you agree that the N64 has a great library and that your only complaint at this point is that sports games suck.  ;)

Anyway, you can't get the good AKI wrestling games on any platform other than N64.  Mario Golf and Mario Tennis obviously you can't get elsewhere, though Hot Shots Golf is a close one for Golf.  NFL Blitz and NBA Jam are a different breed of sports game and that's what makes them enjoyable.

Also, my statement was that there are fun sports games, not that all sports games are fun.
Oh yes a 3 year old censored nukem 64 port with no music, the worst console port. Inferior quake port compared to the Saturn version. Mega man legends cough also on playstation the superior port. Yoshi's story. Shit, well average. The Yoshi game on super nintendo was much much better game. You know I did own one on launch? And well I did look at the list he sent, some good ones but plenty of junk on the list, sorry. Ranging from shit to average. I just didn't want to offend. North America is far to entrenched in the nintendo fanaticism anyway I don't think id get very far explaining why most of those games are irrelevant today or poorly aged. Better angle to approach it how many of those have you played in the last week and for how long?

The N64's bloodline was it's 3D platformers,well collect em ups it got old after finishing mario 64 and banjo was more than enough at least for me. But I think most would agree anyway today 3D has aged poorly from that generation and irrelevant. To be honest I think the system is a joke and only has a cult following in the North american market and some parts of europe, it bombed in japan. If your compare it game wise and sales wise to the SNES it's also painful.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:40:33 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2017, 06:13:29 pm »
All this talk about 3D platformers has me wanting to go back and play some lol Really need Nintendo to hurry up with the Virtual Console, so I can grab Mario 64.  I guess in the meantime I can just re-hook up my 360 and play the HD ports of Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie at least.  Probably good to go back to the roots after the okay time I spent in Yooka-Laylee.