Author Topic: Collection Value - Easy Method  (Read 2880 times)

Collection Value - Easy Method
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:43:02 pm »
For the mods. Parse Amazon for approx pricing. Then allow the users to edit the price for the game and use that data site wide. It won't always be 100% accurate but it'll be at least close. There's already plenty of sites doing it. Could use the data from one of those as well.

Also I see no way to search within my own collection? Did I miss it?

Nickkchilla

Re: Collection Value - Easy Method
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 11:13:14 pm »
Are there alternatives to VGCollect (Video Game Databases) that do this? Do you know any by name?

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 08:59:04 am »
Are there alternatives to VGCollect (Video Game Databases) that do this? Do you know any by name?
VGPC and GVN both have collection trackers that use their internal pricing system to value your collection.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 10:58:20 am »
Using amazon to determine the value of your game is going to provide very poor results. I just recently finished off my Xbox collection and the last game I needed was on amazon for $70+ from 4 or 5 different vendors. Over the past 5 months the same game sold 5 or 6 times for around $30. I eventually got mine for $28, a far cry from $70.

I think prices have been fluctuating a lot lately and it would be hard to automate the system to reflect that.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

ferraroso

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 11:13:40 am »
VGPC and GVN both have collection trackers that use their internal pricing system to value your collection.

I've never heard about GVN, but I know that Video Game Price Charting (VGPC) is a very good place to check for prices. But, since most of my collection is constituted of Japanese games, does anyone know where can I check the values for the stuff that I have?

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 11:15:06 am »

I've never heard about GVN, but I know that Video Game Price Charting (VGPC) is a very good place to check for prices. But, since most of my collection is constituted of Japanese games, does anyone know where can I check the values for the stuff that I have?
Ebay sold listings

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 12:22:20 pm »

gamevaluenow.com

Folks find it more accurate than vgpc, but that doesnt say much

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 01:57:37 pm »
VGPC isn't as complete as our database, I've found, since they've allowed you to add your collection.

It's not horrible, by any means, but there were a few here or there I couldn't find.

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 02:25:29 pm »
Ebay sold is the way to go, but you have to pay to use that information. User submitted prices only goes so far and typically won't give you the accurate value. That is because aside from a new release item, most collectors aren't going to buy something at the market value, thus user submitted pricing will undervalue everything. I've seen this happen on other websites, and is also the reason why I don't bother with inputting that information anymore, nor trust the valuation a site may give me based on those numbers.

There is also the case where the market value can change on an item and then the user submitted prices that already exist become incorrect. One example I can give on a specific Transformer I have. On a website that used Ebay sold data, the value of the item was $800. When the site stopped using that data and switched to user submitted prices, the value went down to $500. Then a re-issue came out and the demand for the item decreased and while the value on the website did not change, the actual market value fell to around $350. Actual current market value is ~215 and my original price paid was $125.

So basically, you can only get a real value of an item on a site like this if you limit the values in the past x amount of time. That means you can buy something and have a known value for say, 3-6 months. Then if no one has gotten that item, or they put it into their collection but do not put a price (or get it for free or some bargain) then the value you'd see would be way down or maybe even unknown or zero. As cumbersome as it is, the best way to determine a value is current market data and not user submitted price data.

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 05:39:35 pm »
I was poking around in PriceCharting and saw the "import collection" option. I exported my VGC collection into a spreadsheet, made some modifications so that it would play nice with what PC was expecting, and got a very rough estimate of my collection, which is nice. Plugged in  385 CIB games (give or take some accidental dupes, general condition, and new vs. CIB) and I'm floating around $11k  :o

Kinda crazy to think of my collection that way. But good to know for the sake of insurance purposes. Gotta get to documenting all that stuff!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 10:53:06 am »
Pricecharting is not a good site to use for valuation. It counts items sold in lots and completed/unsold items into calculations. It appears to have similar linking issues as our Amazon widget, which at times will point to incorrect items. Ever since I found items that were not sold/completed and lots being used to generate values on Pricecharting, I stopped using the site.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 10:59:29 am »
Pricecharting is not a good site to use for valuation. It counts items sold in lots and completed/unsold items into calculations. It appears to have similar linking issues as our Amazon widget, which at times will point to incorrect items. Ever since I found items that were not sold/completed and lots being used to generate values on Pricecharting, I stopped using the site.
For most games, it's close enough.

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 12:41:59 pm »
For most games, it's close enough.

Yeah, I usually use it on an individual basis with each game, checking the listings they show (dates, condition, etc.) to kinda gauge. Even with that, I'll still go back to eBay to see how things are looking. Some variants are not distinguished, such as launch editions of some games, so that can certainly throw things off. I mostly plugged in the info out of curiosity because I really have no sense of what my collection might cost to replace  :-X  I would've initially estimated $10k for everything, including consoles, but it's likely a bit more than that.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas