Author Topic: Attention: Newbies & Others  (Read 1316 times)

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

Attention: Newbies & Others
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:24:19 am »
If you haven't already, please read the OFFICIAL Style Guide before entering or editing data fields. It's obvious many of you are not familiar with it. Thank You.
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html

tripredacus

Re: Attention: Newbies & Others
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:21:16 am »
In addition, for Nintendo products. The item number on the record is supposed to be the item number on the packaging (if it exists, if not then cart/disc number may be used) and not the number on the manual or the cart. Those who put in the cart item number to the main record are allowed, but be aware that it just makes extra work to be done in the future to fix the entry later.

telly

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:23:30 am »
This reminds me, were the admins still working on that FAQ page that I had heard about? I for one would love to know how you resize images on the site, but I forget how to do it  :(

Also for stuff like getting your collection in your sig, etc.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:12:53 pm »
I for one would love to know how you resize images on the site, but I forget how to do it  :(

resize images for item records or for forum posts? or both? lol
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 06:24:10 pm »
Like in forum posts.  :) I know there was some code that changed the picture size but I don't remember how to type it out, haha
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:31:54 pm »
Like in forum posts.  :) I know there was some code that changed the picture size but I don't remember how to type it out, haha

Ah, yeah, I always have to re-remember it each time:

Code: [Select]
[img width=500]nope.jpg[/img]
Usually a width of something like 500 is fine.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 01:54:06 am »
If you haven't already, please read the OFFICIAL Style Guide before entering or editing data fields. It's obvious many of you are not familiar with it. Thank You.
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html

LOL you posted what I've long been thinking. Sometimes there are legit entries that get put in though what boggles me is that people leave them completely devoid of any information other than title. Those are sometimes fun as I can go on a web browser scavenger hunt to find the missing information. What kills me is the people who consistently add titles already in the DB because they either didn't look for it good enough or did but prefer their spelling (SoulCalibur immediately comes to mind).  :P

In addition, for Nintendo products. The item number on the record is supposed to be the item number on the packaging (if it exists, if not then cart/disc number may be used) and not the number on the manual or the cart. Those who put in the cart item number to the main record are allowed, but be aware that it just makes extra work to be done in the future to fix the entry later.

Not trying to make waves but since this was brought up, it might perhaps be a good idea for ALL persons capable of approving/rejecting edits to have a pow-wow of sorts and come to a unified consensus about this because I can recall plenty of times where I've done exactly what you've said and have found my edit to be rejected. I've done edits on previously blank 'Item Number' boxes as well as trying to edit the field where the previous person used the information from the cart instead of the packaging. Once in a while I'll get a rejection kicked backed to me even though I keep seeing what Trip posts so evidently there is a person or persons that isn't on the same page.

Incidentally I've noticed this same behavior in regards to PS4 and Vita Item Numbers. For the longest time I've gone with using the number that appears at the bottom of the spine, much like how we do with PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP. I know they used to use CUSA numbers but have switched over to a  7-digit number. I've plugged that number into a few entries and sometimes someone will reject it. I know there's other identifying numbers on the packaging and in the case of Vita, the carts themselves have a PCSE number. Anyway, if you're going to have a huddle about the Nintendo Item Numbers then maybe you could also come to an agreement on which PS4/Vita Item Number to use.  :P