Author Topic: Those White Whales  (Read 3658 times)

Re: Those White Whales
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 10:31:45 pm »
Tomba for PS1 :).  Also Rule of Rose for PS2.  While both are fairly uncommon and sawed after i have found such evasiveness from both of them.  It's truly impossible to find them for a fair price. Those who have Tomba want 55+ for it and those who want less have one without a book or very scratched.   

I never cave in and over spend.  I will wait until one surfaces at a good will for 3 bucks and dance around the store in pure excitement one day. We can only hope.. :D.  May the game gods shine upon you all. :)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 10:32:12 am »
My white whale is Ghost Lyon for nes I just missed it bye about 1 hour last year.Didn't think anything new came in to my local retro store but when I asked if anything good came in. He told me he just sold one to a friend of mine arrrgh!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:20:36 pm by wartoy »

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 12:44:46 am »
Monstertruck Rally for NES. I don't recall that I've ever actually seen a copy in person, even though it's not that rare. It was a game used to rent as a kid. Sunset Riders for SNES, used to have it long ago. Never found it at a reasonable price.

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 12:08:19 pm »
.hack/Quarentine for the ps2 at a fair price. Had no problem getting the first 3 but the 4th has eluded me for years -_-

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 12:14:45 pm »
.hack/Quarentine for the ps2 at a fair price. Had no problem getting the first 3 but the 4th has eluded me for years -_-

That's another one for me as well.  Passed on it multiple times back in the day when gamestop still carried it for a fair price ~$60.  Oh well, can't get them all.

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 11:11:19 am »

That's another one for me as well.  Passed on it multiple times back in the day when gamestop still carried it for a fair price ~$60.  Oh well, can't get them all.

Sadly I wasn't even able to get the first 3 until I was an adult so 4 was already hard to find XD

Warmsignal

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 02:53:35 pm »
I don't understand what the deal is with those games. Why does everyone want them? Why are there so many? I'd assume you guys must be fans of the anime? I've seen reviews on the games and they kinda seem unremarkable. I picked one of them up way back in my "pick anything up" days, unfortunately it's the one that still remains inexpensive, otherwise I'd probably sell it. My brother has a few of the other ones. He really needs to sell them because he doesn't care for them either. He doesn't even like PS2 and he always used to happen upon titles that became expensive. I'd like to snag his Kuon, but idk what he'd sell it for.

kashell

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 02:56:52 pm »
I only played .hack//Infection and thought it was boring. The three remaining entries didn't change anything in terms of game play (allegedly), so I had no investment in the series.

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 10:19:30 am »
I don't understand what the deal is with those games. Why does everyone want them? Why are there so many? I'd assume you guys must be fans of the anime? I've seen reviews on the games and they kinda seem unremarkable. I picked one of them up way back in my "pick anything up" days, unfortunately it's the one that still remains inexpensive, otherwise I'd probably sell it. My brother has a few of the other ones. He really needs to sell them because he doesn't care for them either. He doesn't even like PS2 and he always used to happen upon titles that became expensive. I'd like to snag his Kuon, but idk what he'd sell it for.

Yes I was a fan of the anime and found the games really fun. So at least that's why I want to complete the set

stealthrush

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 12:07:48 am »
Bulk Slash (SAT) and Star Parodier (TCD)

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 08:22:35 pm »
Keio Flying Squadron for Sega CD. Read about it as a 13-14 year old, thought it looked weird & cool... didn't have a Sega CD. By the time I did, it was too expensive for me to afford, and the prices have outstepped my buying power since. I'm basically relying on the incredibly unlikely possibility of finding an underpriced copy in the wild.

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 11:21:03 pm »
I was always on the lookout for Need for Speed Carbon Collectors Edition on the 360. The only ones I ever came across had damaged slip covers.
They pop up on Ebay every once in awhile, but I'm not sure I even want it anymore.

pzeke

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 09:58:26 pm »
If we're going by the literal meaning of the phrase, my "white whales" are Aero Fighters, Hagane: The Final Conflict, and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES); Ninja Five-O (GBA); The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PS1); and Gotcha Force (GCN).

From time to time I end up finding one or two priced "reasonably" on eBay, but I have never caved in even though I seem close to. Last year I was about to close the deal with Gotcha Force for $155, but in the end I didn't. I'm stingy when it comes to money, but I've made peace knowing I might bite the bullet with at least one of these someday. Hopefully by then they drop in price.

Hopefully.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 04:43:21 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 01:31:22 am »

I caved and bought Quarantine for full asking price when it was around $90, only to find a local game store slipping on it like a month later for $30. I guess I'd advise being patient and to keep looking; a good deal on it will come your way eventually.

pzeke

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 03:43:21 am »
I caved and bought Quarantine for full asking price when it was around $90, only to find a local game store slipping on it like a month later for $30. I guess I'd advise being patient and to keep looking; a good deal on it will come your way eventually.

Could have picked it up and flip it.

I feel for you, though, as I remember paying full price for a used copy of One Piece: Unlimited Adventure for the Wii at a GameStop, and that same day seeing someone selling it in like new condition for $35 shipped on eBay. I was livid, but given I had bought the game with gifted money, that was my way of rationalizing that "I" didn't spend the money because somebody else bought the game for me. Turns out the game had been reprinted, and I sadly never got the memo. Which reminds me of the time I bought 5 copies of SMT: Nocturne to try and flip, but was *bleep* blocked by the reprint. T'was money well spent...

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!