Author Topic: DO You Keep GAMES Sealed forever or/and sell? or? Attend to Play them? and keep?  (Read 3251 times)

If i Buy a game new I will open it and play it

However if I come across a sealed copy of an old game on the cheap I will either keep it sealed if it is from a game that I like or I will sell it.

Opening an old sealed game is just playing dumb for the reason that games are meant to be played. Who am I to deny  the people in the market who are willing to pay pretty much two times upto ten times or more the opened value I will not be a fool and ruin there collectible and my potential future wallet.
Anyone who opens a game that is older than the previous gen is just as dumb as the people who pays that much for sealed games.

I absolutely don't care about sealed games, if i buy a game it's to play it not to put it on my shelves like some sort of decoration, if it's a new released game i open it directly (i still remember about my Demon's Souls Black Phantom Edition, i buy it day one, got back home with it, at the time i lived in a rural area and the closest game shop was at 40 minutes of driving, so i got back home and open it just to find that the game is not inside, everything was inside except for the disc, i make another trip to that game shop and of course they're not believing me, i couldn't get a refund or anything and got pretty much banned to coming to that store again after arguing with the owner... well i wouldn't want to come back either, a good friend lend me his copy at the time so i could at least play with it and i completed my Black Phantom Edition a few years after by buying a loose disk on ebay but that why when i buy a game in shop i open it directly in the shop, i don't care if i will only play it months or years after).

But i'm not dumb enough to just open an old released sealed game, first for a period of time (more or like six months) i put it on sale and if no one buy it i try to trade it off for a cib copy of the same game in a good state of course (i did buy it to play it after all, it's the game that interests me not the plastic around it) for another period of time (again 6 months or so) and after that... well i open it, i recently unsealed Croisades for PC (a 1997 game but it was a pc game so it don't have much value) and i will probably have to open my copy of Ace Combat Advance for Game Boy Advance since i can't find someone to trade it with for a year now.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:01:52 am by metshael »

I buy games with the intent to play- I do have a couple titles still sealed in my collection that will likely not be opened just because the time spent in my backlog has made them somewhat valuable sealed (Xenogears and Zelda Minish Cap to be precise.) If I found a collector who'd swap me for opened copies plus a lil' cash I'd take the deal.

I feel like games are unique in that it's their use that gives them purpose- it's not the box Mario came in that makes people nostalgic for it, it's the gameplay. If you're not giving the games a run-though, you're not understanding why people came to love them in the first place.

At the same time, I don't mind the sealed collectors from a preservation standpoint. We are not the last of the world's gamers, and using games does create wear & eventually breakage. Sealed collectors help keep the tactile part of gaming alive by keeping specimens around (although, ironically, you'll need to break the seal to get the full experience.) I also appreciate the ROM makers- by continually making older games available on newer machines, they keep the games alive & make sure the next generations can play these titles long after the originals have broken down.

I play to keep and keep on collecting just to have them because I know that physical   video games are rare period. don't let anyone tell you different. Physical copies don't last forever. AND sometimes in order to have something Physical  again you just gotta open a seal copy. Data is more interchangeable that Physical copies, at least some good data is free on ROM sites, also some bad and good data can be found on corrupt ROM web sites. They say that ROMS are illegal but what do you think a PS4 uses people? I guess if you PAY it's legal but even back in the 1990's hackers used to put viruses on PC video games (THAT MY PARENTS USED TO PAY MONEY FOR) and even the SONY PS1 demo disc is actually a memory card breaker i read.

This bit confuses me. Physical games in general are not rare- maybe specific titles, but most anybody can walk into a store and find games of some kind. A ROM is just a date file- whether or not it's legal depends on who owns the data & if they're OK with where and how it's being distributed. and PS1 demos don't break memory cards! There was one PS2 demo that erased memory cards, but it wasn't intentional & sony pulled them and issued replacements. They also sent free games to people affected. I actually just hunted a copy of that disc down, now I need a PS2 card with corrupt data stuck on it- I want to see if the erase glitch can blank the card. Could be a valuable repair option nowadays.

doafan

DO You Keep GAMES Sealed forever or/and sell? or? Attend to Play them? and keep?

Allow me to answer your question with another question. You don't purchase a condom just to keep it sealed, do you ?

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

I absolutely don't care about sealed games, if i buy a game it's to play it not to put it on my shelves like some sort of decoration, if it's a new released game i open it directly (i still remember about my Demon's Souls Black Phantom Edition, i buy it day one, got back home with it, at the time i lived in a rural area and the closest game shop was at 40 minutes of driving, so i got back home and open it just to find that the game is not inside, everything was inside except for the disc, i make another trip to that game shop and of course they're not believing me, i couldn't get a refund or anything and got pretty much banned to coming to that store again after arguing with the owner... well i wouldn't want to come back either, a good friend lend me his copy at the time so i could at least play with it and i completed my Black Phantom Edition a few years after by buying a loose disk on ebay but that why when i buy a game in shop i open it directly in the shop, i don't care if i will only play it months or years after).

But i'm not dumb enough to just open an old released sealed game, first for a period of time (more or like six months) i put it on sale and if no one buy it i try to trade it off for a cib copy of the same game in a good state of course (i did buy it to play it after all, it's the game that interests me not the plastic around it) for another period of time (again 6 months or so) and after that... well i open it, i recently unsealed Croisades for PC (a 1997 game but it was a pc game so it don't have much value) and i will probably have to open my copy of Ace Combat Advance for Game Boy Advance since i can't find someone to trade it with for a year now.

my opinion is, everything you said, is logical. except this concept, maybe you forgot to sat this but I am correcting you.

Quote from: metshael
when i buy a game in shop i open it directly in the shop, i don't care if i will only play it months or years after).

(oldgamerz reply): not a good idea unless you pay, then open the game up in front of the clerk. or manager, (everything you buy these days is a risk factor.)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:16:56 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

(QUOTED OLDGAMERZ)

I play to keep and keep on collecting just to have them because I know that physical   video games are rare period. don't let anyone tell you different. Physical copies don't last forever. AND sometimes in order to have something Physical  again you just gotta open a seal copy. Data is more interchangeable that Physical copies, at least some good data is free on ROM sites, also some bad and good data can be found on corrupt ROM web sites. They say that ROMS are illegal but what do you think a PS4 uses people? I guess if you PAY it's legal but even back in the 1990's hackers used to put viruses on PC video games (THAT MY PARENTS USED TO PAY MONEY FOR) and even the SONY PS1 demo disc is actually a memory card breaker i read.

quoted from @hoshichiri
This bit confuses me. Physical games in general are not rare- maybe specific titles, but most anybody can walk into a store and find games of some kind. A ROM is just a date file- whether or not it's legal depends on who owns the data & if they're OK with where and how it's being distributed. and PS1 demos don't break memory cards! There was one PS2 demo that erased memory cards, but it wasn't intentional & sony pulled them and issued replacements. They also sent free games to people affected. I actually just hunted a copy of that disc down, now I need a PS2 card with corrupt data stuck on it- I want to see if the erase glitch can blank the card. Could be a valuable repair option nowadays.

REPLY TO: @hoshichiri from @oldgamerz
I only said there rare because in the way the world is going today ( not making any more physical copies as of the date of the post) as far as the curropt memory card goes, it is HELL to find a SONY  PS2 MEMORY CARD THAT IS STILL FUNCTIONAL.) AND i AM ABSOLUTELY PISSED AT SONY FOR NOT PUTTING MORE HEATSINK CHIPS INTO THE OLDER FATER PS3 MODELS TO KEEP THE INSIDES FROM MELTING >:( >:( >:(
AND even more angry that they stopped making them completely. IF SONY wants to get my money they better make a better product then the THE PS4!!!
[/size]

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:38:42 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

as far as the curropt memory card goes, it is HELL to find a SONY  PS2 MEMORY CARD THAT IS STILL FUNCTIONAL.

Really? I don't have trouble with mine, aside from the ports on my system having gone a lil' wonky so it might take a re-insert or two to get the system to recognize it. Then again, I haven't actually shopped for a card in years (I even have a sealed 2-pack for 'just in case'), so maybe the good cards are all in collector's hands.

It's an interesting part of the 'play or display' argument. If the game & system work, but a mostly-necessary accessory is dying... do you try to go without, or just give up on playing the game?

kashell

If I buy a game, then it's going to be played.

I normally buy games i intend to play so i usually open and play them. However there are 2 rpgs ive yet open as i havnt had to time to invest in them. :\

not a good idea unless you pay, then open the game up in front of the clerk. or manager, (everything you buy these days is a risk factor.)

That is literally what i'm doing and yeah i know that is a bad idea, i pay, move on the side to not block the way to the counter and open my games, at first i got bad glance and clerks telling me to move away but now most of the clerks of the shops around know me so most of them let me be and just consider it to be a weird habit while the others understand how unlucky i can be with games, and yes i've been pretty unlucky in the past few years, especially with WiiU games like my limited edition of Xenoblade Chronicles X didn't had the artbook inside the box (me and the owner of the shop knew something was wrong since the items were moving inside...) but the "best" i had lately was when i bought Bayonetta 1 & 2 (in Europe the game comes in a box containing two different dvd case, one for each game) so i open up the box and we (me and the owner) see that two dvd cases are inside so she told me sarcastically "Oh what a surprise, everything is inside" then i pull out the dvd cases and... i started to laugh while she let out a sigh and telling me how unlucky can i be... what was inside ? Two copy of Bayonetta 2 instead of a copy of Bayonetta 1 and a copy of Bayonetta 2  ;D

The only real trouble i have with that weird habit is from the closest Micromania (the French GameStop), i've had so many trouble with used games (yes, i also check used games like this too) from them (disk were not inside, wrong disk inside or the prices were not those indicated on the box) that most of the clerks from there probably have something against me since most of time i've done a pre-order from them they cancel it the day before the release or tell up-front that they didn't receive enough copy to satisfy all the pre-orders they had... even though they still have a few copy on the shelves behind them...  >:(, and they even tried to make me pay full price for a item i bought (and already pay) on sale from their internet site ::), most of the time now i avoid that shop but if i really have to buy something from there i ask to a friend or one of my bros to buy for me.

turf

PRO Supporter

I have a few sealed games.  I don't open games until I get ready to play them.  If I never get around to it, oh well.  I have a sealed game.

There's no need for me to open my sealed copy of F-Zero.  I have plenty of chances to play F-Zero without opening a sealed game that survived 25 years.

athmaus

I play and keep it.  I regret selling some of my older games to get new ones when i was younger.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

When I buy a game I always intend to play it but sometime I move on to other games.Then the value goes up too high to open it. For example my sealed copy of BattleToads for nes. then I would just buy a used copy to play on the cheep. Makes more sense to me in my opinion.

not a good idea unless you pay, then open the game up in front of the clerk. or manager, (everything you buy these days is a risk factor.)

That is literally what i'm doing and yeah i know that is a bad idea, i pay, move on the side to not block the way to the counter and open my games, at first i got bad glance and clerks telling me to move away but now most of the clerks of the shops around know me so most of them let me be and just consider it to be a weird habit while the others understand how unlucky i can be with games, and yes i've been pretty unlucky in the past few years, especially with WiiU games like my limited edition of Xenoblade Chronicles X didn't had the artbook inside the box (me and the owner of the shop knew something was wrong since the items were moving inside...) but the "best" i had lately was when i bought Bayonetta 1 & 2 (in Europe the game comes in a box containing two different dvd case, one for each game) so i open up the box and we (me and the owner) see that two dvd cases are inside so she told me sarcastically "Oh what a surprise, everything is inside" then i pull out the dvd cases and... i started to laugh while she let out a sigh and telling me how unlucky can i be... what was inside ? Two copy of Bayonetta 2 instead of a copy of Bayonetta 1 and a copy of Bayonetta 2  ;D

The only real trouble i have with that weird habit is from the closest Micromania (the French GameStop), i've had so many trouble with used games (yes, i also check used games like this too) from them (disk were not inside, wrong disk inside or the prices were not those indicated on the box) that most of the clerks from there probably have something against me since most of time i've done a pre-order from them they cancel it the day before the release or tell up-front that they didn't receive enough copy to satisfy all the pre-orders they had... even though they still have a few copy on the shelves behind them...  >:(, and they even tried to make me pay full price for a item i bought (and already pay) on sale from their internet site ::), most of the time now i avoid that shop but if i really have to buy something from there i ask to a friend or one of my bros to buy for me.

try using amazon in whatever country your from @metshael. GameStop has givin' me hell in my late teen years years :(

NO APPS NEEDED