Author Topic: Is Is Possable To Use Any Harddrive to Store PS2 Games?  (Read 1455 times)

Is Is Possable To Use Any Harddrive to Store PS2 Games?
« on: July 09, 2017, 05:48:27 pm »
A man told me about a month ago how stupid the PS2 memory card requirement was for most PS2 video games. and I was shocked to hear from him that he told me you can use any harddrive without a modded PS2 and store your video game save files to it. HOW? he didn't tell me. He told me to connect the harddrive to the back of my PS2 PHAT OR FAT  expansion  BAY OR PORT and try. My question to those of you reading this and for years to come , IS this possible? :-\

I know that the PS2 requires a hard drive connection or some kind of converter, or not, from a more modern harddrive. I do know that anything can be done, but HOW?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:51:46 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Is Is Possable To Use Any Harddrive to Store PS2 Games?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:05:01 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_Expansion_Bay

There was one, but not too many western titles used it because it came out so late over here.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:07:19 am »
In theory you could use the hdd as a save file repository, no?  1 memory card and 1 hdd and just constantly transferring save files back and forth?  Not convenient, sure, but then you wouldn't need a ton of memory cards, right?

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 07:32:21 pm »
In theory you could use the hdd as a save file repository, no?  1 memory card and 1 hdd and just constantly transferring save files back and forth?  Not convenient, sure, but then you wouldn't need a ton of memory cards, right?

Since the ps2 games do not go to the HDD for saving you cant upfront however in theory you can. In fact, I read that there is a way to save to HDD but it would require some soft modding of sorts. However what I say on this is based on what I read on this subject so I dont know all the details.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:42:49 am »

Since the ps2 games do not go to the HDD for saving you cant upfront however in theory you can. In fact, I read that there is a way to save to HDD but it would require some soft modding of sorts. However what I say on this is based on what I read on this subject so I dont know all the details.
I'm specifically talking about using the PS2 browser to "Copy" save data from the Memory Card to the HDD, and then "Copy" back to the memory card when you want to use the data again.

This won't work with any games that have Copyright Protection like the Timesplitters games.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 03:56:56 pm »
I never used nor even own an HDD for PS2 before so i can't really help on that side but i transfer my Playstation 2 save files to my computer for almost 10 years now, and it did really help since i have so many games on that console, it was pretty mandatory for me to do so unless i wanted to delete thousand of hours of play. I transfer those save files with the help of an European action replay called the "Action Replay Max-2", that AR have an option called Memory Max that can let you transfer your save files from your Memory Card to a USB Drive and vice versa (it can only detect a small USB drive, small in data size i mean, i don't know the limit of the size it can detect but the one i use is 125 MB) and once they are on your USB drive you can easily transfer them to your computer, the memory card shown on my first picture below called Max Memory is not really mandatory since you can use any PS2 memory card with it but i put that as an HUGE WARNING: that Memory Max option can not only corrupt your save files but can also corrupt your entire Memory Card, it's apparently pretty rare but it can happen, but in almost 10 years of use i never had any trouble with that Memory Max Memory Card, even though i tend to stay safe by copying the save files i can copy to another memory card before doing the transfer (that option can also format Memory Card so it can really be helpful if you stumble across a corrupt one during your hunts like i've found two of them a few years ago). It also doesn't care if those save files are copy protected or not, it let you copy them on your USB Drive anyway so save files from games like Monster Hunter or Timesplitters: Future Perfect are no trouble at all to move around.

The only negative point i have with that option is that those save files are unusable as they are on your computer since they are stocked as .max files and cannot be read by any PS2 emulator (i don't really mind since i prefer to use an actual PS2 to play but those who maybe wanted to continue their play on an emulator will have to search for another option).

That Action Replay is, like i already said, an European AR and i don't really know if any American (or any other European) Action Replay have that sort of option but if you have some Action Replay in your collection it doesn't hurt to check them (i had that MAX-2 for almost two years before i went to check all of it's options, i wanted to read an American DVD and the only DVD reader i had at that time was my PS2 so i started to check if any action replay i owned had that sort of option and if you are wondering yes it can also read DVD from any region, that is the third option on the second screen).

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:16:58 am by metshael »

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 06:33:20 pm »
Illegal Information and I don't want users to do this so I erased it
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:07:55 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 12:40:12 am »
Yes you can, in theory.  The PS2 HDD can save game files by moving them from the memory card to the HDD and back again, as mentioned previously.  It's a pain but cuts down on cards so I do use this method myself.  Using just any drive may be troublesome.

You will need as HDD that is connected via IDE, and the PS2 network adapter.  The network adapter actually acts as the bridge between HDD and console, supplying power and the data transfer method.  The official HDD that came bundled with FFXI had a specialized cradle that kept the thing from moving around inside the bay.  Without it you run the risk of damaging either the HDD or the console if not both.  It was also bundled with a specialized format utility disc.  Without it the system won't pick up the drive.  That is why I say just slapping a HDD in there may not work.