Author Topic: What is the most recent Retro Console, In Your Opinion?  (Read 2198 times)

Re: What is the most recent Retro Console, In Your Opinion?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 09:55:00 am »
PSP and DS for sure, and PS3 360 Wii are getting there.

When Gamestop finally gets rid of all their Gen 7 games (PS3, 360 and Wii) I'll most likely lump them into the retro category. However, for some reason it is hard for me to consider them retro even if that happens. LOL we may just have to get well into Gen 9 (Switch, Project Scorpio, PS5) before I can really consider those consoles retro, but who knows.

kashell

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 10:09:58 am »
Somewhere between the PlayStation 1 era and the PlayStation 2 era.

tripredacus

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 11:14:51 am »
NES/Famicom Classic Mini
Game Boy Advance SP NES version
some of the AtGames plug-n-play systems

We'll see what TecToy actually releases in Brazil for its new Mega Drive version.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 06:00:47 pm »
Personally I consider 6th gen and older to be retro.

As for the idea of breaking them up into more than just retro and modern, why not go with the system that Comic books use?

Golden Age: Anything pre-8bit including older Atari/Amiga PC's.
Silver Age: All 8-16bit consoles, mostly the 2d era.
Bronze Age: Pretty much the 5th & 6th gens when 3d graphics were most prominent.
Modern: Gen 7, brought about the HD era, current consoles can apply if you desire, or X1, PS4, WiiU and Switch can be Next Gen, at least until the next 'next-gen' arrives in a few years.

Just my 2 cents.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

Warmsignal

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 06:04:21 pm »
Yeah the NES Classic. I struggle with the term "retro" a lot.

My definition of a classic console begins with Atari 2600 and ends with SNES. I really want to say N64/PS1 because that's also a nostalgic era for me, but it was part of new-school gaming as we know it, the foundation for the PS4s and the Xbox... 3s. But nowadays even those consoles are seeing more and more "retro" games on them, or games that blur the lines of modern and retro so who knows.

pzeke

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 02:54:55 am »
Yeah, definitely the 5th gen. It's been two decades plus since their release, so I think that's fairly enough time to consider them "retro". Although the 6th gen is nearing two decades, so by my own logic it could be considered retro, too.

I don't know; I look at the PS2 for instance, and can't seem to think or see "retro" in it. At least not yet. The PS1 on the other hand, at least to me, does have a "retro" feel to it. So yeah, mark me down for the 5th gen, too.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 07:43:58 am »
I'd say 5th generations except the Dreamcast that I consider to be retro for some reason.
The PS2/Xbox/Gamecube are getting there tho and in a few years i'll probably consider them retro too.