Author Topic: Old School RTS  (Read 1258 times)

athmaus

Old School RTS
« on: August 03, 2017, 04:45:05 pm »
Growing up my friends and i would love to LAN some RTS games.  Most of the time it was between these games: Age of Empires, StarCraft, WarCraft, or Command and Conquer.  I know there were others but those where the four that really made our CD/DVD drives spin lol.

Which was your fav RTS series growing up?

Re: Old School RTS
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:09:58 pm »
Hi there,

Mine would have to be Age of Empires. Honestly, I had a hard time committing to a single RTS game growing up, but Age of Empires was always what I found myself going back to. I forget if it was the first or second game, but I smile when I think of all the ridiculous custom game setups my two brothers and I would create. Just over-the-top all-out war scenarios lol. I loved the original StarCraft as well, but was never able to get really good at it. I think I'm going to go find myself a copy of Age of Empires now :)

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:32:31 am »
I dabbled in Warcraft, Starcraft, and Age of Empires, but Command & Conquer was always my favorite.  Enjoyed it up to Generals.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 02:45:26 am »
I had 3 core RTSs growing up: Starcraft, Rise of Nations, and Seven Kingdoms II: Frythian Wars.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 09:34:58 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:41:15 pm by jce3000gt »

athmaus

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:08:36 am »
Hi there,

Mine would have to be Age of Empires. Honestly, I had a hard time committing to a single RTS game growing up, but Age of Empires was always what I found myself going back to. I forget if it was the first or second game, but I smile when I think of all the ridiculous custom game setups my two brothers and I would create. Just over-the-top all-out war scenarios lol. I loved the original StarCraft as well, but was never able to get really good at it. I think I'm going to go find myself a copy of Age of Empires now :)

Might want to wait on that: https://www.ageofempires.com/games/aoe/

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 03:04:09 am »
Lords of the Realm II

It's half RTS (battle scenes) and half economic management, but all fun! I could still get lost in this game for hours. You assign peasants to different tasks, like woodcutting, farming, or blacksmithing. Gradually you build up enough weapons to raise an army, then send them off to conquer your neighbors. I love how the game's rival nobles all have different personalities and strategies.

Myth II: Soulblighter

It's an RTS, but with no economic aspects. In each stage, you are given a group of soldiers, and it's up to you to see that they survive to the end. You can't produce new ones, and enemies can catch you out of position if you're not careful. The story mode is fun, and there's a lot of downloadable plugins that people have made over the years that add new and crazy units to the game. Ages ago my friend and I made a whole set of Final Fantasy VI maps and characters. :D It was so much fun.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:19:33 am by zenimus »

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 11:01:16 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:41:07 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 02:26:52 pm »
Holy Final Fantasy VI Batman!  Is this still available?  Looks awesome.

I don't know of there's still any Myth sites still around. The Mill used to be the main one, but I think they're long dead. I still have all the old files though if you want them. :D

We didn't know how to script single player maps back then, so they were all multiplayer stages: Narshe, Doma, Nikeah, The Phantom Forest, the Opera House, a boat battle stage and a few others that I can't remember at the moment.

It's always good fun to use the map editor to switch the main game's characters with FF6 ones!