Author Topic: What do you do for a living?  (Read 8045 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: What do you do for a living?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 05:24:03 pm »
Software Engineer/Developer.

Cool!

I am also a software engineer (for over 20 years). Most at work think of me as a Swiss Army Knife.

I can write the code, validate it, and build the data center it runs in all from scratch. Did just that for a company that makes streaming media players and TVs.

In fact I'm looking to hire another person or two with a proven reputation of doing the same. :)

I don't want to hijack the thread so PM me if any of you want more details.

I applied there once.  I was even contacted for more information.  Turns out, they didn't want me.  I can't imagine why a streaming media company didn't want a civil engineer.   :o

Hehehehehe. I saw your application! Don't feel too bad brother. It's very competitive out here!

I think I blew it when I told the nice lady that I knew absolutely nothing about software.    ;)

That's not true! You know the entire NES library!

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2017, 09:00:24 am »
Unless it pays 6 figures and doesn't force me to relocate, I'm good.

I used to humor recruiters calling me but those two issues always come up. 

All of my resumes and stuff on the web explicitly state that I'm not willing to relocate or commute to another city.  They will call with "local" numbers but obviously be in a call center or trying to recruit for other parts of the country.

And I'm paid well, so quite frequently they are trying to fill lower level positions, or with companies that statistically underpay their employees... hence the recruiters... plus the high chance of being a contract or contract to hire role.  It's usually their first question of what my salary is, which I refuse to answer, but I'll ask back what the pay range is and tell them that is way too low.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:14:30 am by ignition365 »

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2017, 11:15:34 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:40:16 pm by jce3000gt »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2017, 02:35:52 pm »
All of my team makes well over six figures. And we pay above the industry average. But it's on site work. Lunches are catered and always free. Free snacks and beverages. Good range of health benefits (my son has Type 1 Diabetes and we are able to handle his medical costs without worry). We also give stock options (we are pre ipo.)

We offer relocation packages and one member of my team is a transplant from Florida and loving it here. He bikes to work everyday.

It's honestly the best job I've ever had. The hardest part is we set the bar really high. Some other places that means lots of overtime. Here it means we have great focus and proper priorities.

No politics, lots of autonomy, personal responsibility, etc. and you get to take home free hardware to test and keep all the time.

We do have recruiters and I work pretty closely with them.

We are growing so fast contacting, filtering, scheduling all the applicants myself would be a full time job.

Many folks can't believe it's really as good as it is but that's what happens when you hire the right people and have technically savvy leaders and solid business direction from top to bottom.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:39:31 pm by dashv »

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2017, 05:41:07 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:40:09 pm by jce3000gt »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2017, 08:33:33 pm »
Sounds like an exception to the rule.  :D  Enjoy it while you can!  Been in similar situations twice and it turned on a dime.  Once because of IPO and the other because an investment firm entered the picture.

Indeed. Nothing lasts forever. :) but for now it's a pretty sweet gig and we are actively looking for experienced testers, software engineers, and AWS dev ops and SREs.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 10:38:05 am »
Awell, i grow plants.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2017, 01:47:46 pm »

rayne315

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2017, 09:56:45 am »
And I'm paid well, so quite frequently they are trying to fill lower level positions, or with companies that statistically underpay their employees... hence the recruiters... plus the high chance of being a contract or contract to hire role.  It's usually their first question of what my salary is, which I refuse to answer, but I'll ask back what the pay range is and tell them that is way too low.

Funny thing, I ran a research study (cannot get in to the specifics due to an NDA) and I found it interesting after reviewing the data that actual hiring managers in the real world do not prefer the recruiter system and that they prefer to interview, hire, and set salary themselves based on the qualified candidate's experience/qualifications.  And I agree with them.

do you have a place this study is published? or was it wholly funded by someone for their own gain? I love reading research articles and although it strays from my norm (science, medical, engineering) I would love to be able to read it if it would be possible.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2017, 10:21:10 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:40:00 pm by jce3000gt »

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2017, 01:35:59 pm »
Awell, i grow plants.

What kinds?

For in your garden, we have over 600 different sorts of plants. (hmm, hope its understandable)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:37:55 pm by fazerco »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2017, 10:38:30 pm »
Awell, i grow plants.

What kinds?

For in your garden, we have over 600 different sorts of plants. (hmm, hope its understandable)

I used to be a grounds keeper for an assisted living facility. Bough, installed and cared for many plants. climbing roses were my favorite.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2017, 01:17:37 pm »
Awell, i grow plants.

What kinds?

I used to be a grounds keeper for an assisted living facility. Bough, installed and cared for many plants. climbing roses were my favorite.

We grow them for the garden centers, and proffesional gardeners. So as soon as they start to grow most go, a few stays for the gardenars as they want a bigger plant, and then the next batch comes. We also have what we call the big pots where we have ornamental grasses, paeony, and lilium. And around x-mas we have the christmas trees. We dont grow those, but import them.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2017, 02:52:49 pm »
I know I'm late to the party...

I work as a Analyst for Coca-Cola. I mostly find ways to save the company money.

Work with SQL, databases, Office Suite, SAP, all the usual suspects.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 04:54:52 am »
i am freelancer, web designer