Author Topic: Item Numbers  (Read 1631 times)

Flashback2012

Item Numbers
« on: August 01, 2017, 03:03:11 pm »
I posted this in another thread almost a month ago and wanted to resurrect it here since the original thread was in Site Feedback. I was checking over edits and found a couple of rejections on some Wii Item Numbers I submitted recently. Anyway, here's most of the body from the original post...

In addition, for Nintendo products. The item number on the record is supposed to be the item number on the packaging (if it exists, if not then cart/disc number may be used) and not the number on the manual or the cart. Those who put in the cart item number to the main record are allowed, but be aware that it just makes extra work to be done in the future to fix the entry later.

Not trying to make waves but since this was brought up, it might perhaps be a good idea for ALL persons capable of approving/rejecting edits to have a pow-wow of sorts and come to a unified consensus about this because I can recall plenty of times where I've done exactly what you've said and have found my edit to be rejected. I've done edits on previously blank 'Item Number' boxes as well as trying to edit the field where the previous person used the information from the cart instead of the packaging. Once in a while I'll get a rejection kicked backed to me even though I keep seeing what Trip posts so evidently there is a person or persons that isn't on the same page.

Incidentally I've noticed this same behavior in regards to PS4 and Vita Item Numbers. For the longest time I've gone with using the number that appears at the bottom of the spine, much like how we do with PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP. I know they used to use CUSA numbers but have switched over to a  7-digit number. I've plugged that number into a few entries and sometimes someone will reject it. I know there's other identifying numbers on the packaging and in the case of Vita, the carts themselves have a PCSE number. Anyway, if you're going to have a huddle about the Nintendo Item Numbers then maybe you could also come to an agreement on which PS4/Vita Item Number to use.  :P 

I think it's safe to assume the pow-wow never occurred and there still is no consensus as I got these rejections.  :P

Your edit to Alien Monster Bowling League was rejected.
Tuesday August 1st, 2017 at 6:28 AM
Field:   item_number
New Value:   RVL-P-SABE
Reason:   Information Already on File. Please see the VGCollect Style Guide or visit the Forums to clear up any listing questions.

Your edit to Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 was rejected.
Tuesday August 1st, 2017 at 6:28 AM
New Value:   RVL-P-RY2E
Reason:   Information Already on File. Please see the VGCollect Style Guide or visit the Forums to clear up any listing questions.

Along with this one from a couple of days ago...

Your edit to Game Party Champions was rejected.
Friday July 28th, 2017 at 9:46 AM
New Value:   WUP-P-AGPE

Aside from the dashes, this is how the Item Numbers appear on the packaging.  ???

Also, in each of those rejections I do see where I have approved edits where I added the Disc Item Numbers to the Description field. While I verified with the copies I own physically, sometimes those numbers were already filled in on the current Item Number line and I merely copied/paste once I manually verified it against my copy.

TL;DR Trip has stated on more than one occasion that the Item Number should be the one on the packaging but someone is rejecting edits still. Item Number lines are sometimes already filled in but also sometimes contain incorrect or incomplete info on them. Attempts to fix this are met with rejections.

TL;DR 2: Electric Bugaloo - These rejections also occasionally occur on PS4/Vita Item Numbers because someone sometimes doesn't like the 7-digit numbers on the spine being called the Item Number. PS4/Vita have largely switched to the 7-digit number over the old SLUS/BLUS/CUSA/ULUS Item Number system that PSX/PS2/PS3/PSP employed.  :P

Agozer

Re: Item Numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 05:59:37 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but every PS4 release uses CUSA item/catalog numbering. Can't say anything about Vita releases though.

But yeah, those rejectios seem odd. Also I think the NA packaging of Wii/Wii U games omit the dashes from the catalog #, but that shouldn't mean that numbres with dashes should get rejected.

EDIT: fixed stupid typo.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:29:19 pm by Agozer »

Flashback2012

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 07:32:42 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but every PS4 release uses CUSA item/catalog numbering. Can't say anything about Vita releases though.

On the packaging/spine I remember they started out with CUSA numbers but ending up switching to the 7-digit numbering and have been doing that for some time now. Some first party releases might still use CUSA numbers instead of the 7-digits but I haven't paid much attention to any first party releases recently. I'm looking at a couple of PS4 games on my desk and not a one has a CUSA-XXXXX anywhere on their packaging/insert. The discs themselves have CUSA numbers on them but those should be listed separately in the Description field.  ;)

Vita carts have a PCSE number on the carts but on their packaging/insert it's usually the 7-digit number on the spine more often than not. Funny enough, I have two LRG releases in front of me that have the 7-digit number on the spine but a Soldner X2 from Play-Asia that has a VLAS number.  :o

But yeah, those rejections seem odd. Also I think the NA packaging of Wii/Wii U games omit the dashes from the catalog #, but that should mean that numbers with dashes should get rejected.

The style guide has specific instructions for putting in the dash on PlayStation releases. PS1 SLUS numbers have the dashes present on the packaging but PS2/PS3 SLUS/BLUS mostly do not. I figured it was the same deal with the Nintendo ones since SNES SNS numbers do show dashes on the packaging but DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU do not.

I've seen other people submit them with dashes and I have also had plenty of approved edits for games on all of those systems where the dashes were included. At least in those last three rejections, there were Item Numbers already in place and I guess whoever rejected my edits felt I was submitting redundant information even though it was correct (according to what Trip has posted).  :P

Agozer

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:28:41 pm »
All of my PS4 EU games are marked with CUSA catalog numbers. That includes very recent releases. I wonder if this 7-digit thing is exclusive to NA releases.
As far as Söldner X-2 Vita catalog number is concerned, that is the Asia region release.

Personally, I've always used dashes in catalog numbers even if the packaging does not use them.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:32:39 pm by Agozer »

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 11:06:41 am »
I had noticed PS4 games have gotten away from the standard PlayStation numbering system and I was kinda sad about it.

Flashback2012

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:30:42 pm »
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!!1!!

Okay...just encountered some more rejection edits regarding item numbers, Cart/Disc Item Numbers in the Description field and what not. All that indicates to me is mods/admins have STILL not had any kind of pow-wow on what the consensus should be.

One thing I did learn was that the PS4 discs themselves do have CUSA numbers on them but I've seen/been instructed that any item numbers on the media (be it card/cart/disc) should be entered separately in the description field and the item number that exists on the packaging is the one that goes in the Item Number field.

Hopefully this finally gets hammered out.  ;)

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:39:27 pm »
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!!1!!

Okay...just encountered some more rejection edits regarding item numbers, Cart/Disc Item Numbers in the Description field and what not. All that indicates to me is mods/admins have STILL not had any kind of pow-wow on what the consensus should be.

One thing I did learn was that the PS4 discs themselves do have CUSA numbers on them but I've seen/been instructed that any item numbers on the media (be it card/cart/disc) should be entered separately in the description field and the item number that exists on the packaging is the one that goes in the Item Number field.

Hopefully this finally gets hammered out.  ;)

I did see an admin post in the admin section about PS4 item numbers, so a conversation is happening on our side :)

I currently don't reject/approve any edits made on item numbers since the other admins are better about knowing the best places to verify the info :P

But just wanted to let you know that the staff are aware, and I appreciate you re-raising the topic so that others can be informed of decisions/procedures.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Flashback2012

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 06:54:00 pm »
I did see an admin post in the admin section about PS4 item numbers, so a conversation is happening on our side :)

I currently don't reject/approve any edits made on item numbers since the other admins are better about knowing the best places to verify the info :P

But just wanted to let you know that the staff are aware, and I appreciate you re-raising the topic so that others can be informed of decisions/procedures.

Awesome...that's good to know.  :D

Hopefully the whole Card/Cart/Disc Item Number vs. Packaging Item Number thing gets ironed out for all games, not just PS4. Whatever conclusion you guys come to, I'm sure there's going to be a TON of work involved in making sure the correct information is listed.  ;)

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 10:00:16 am »

I will typically let new item numbers be put into an entry, even if formatted incorrectly (sony numbers missing hyphen, nintendo numbers from cart) if the field is already blank. I don't go about looking up every single one, you can get a feel for what the number is supposed to look like, or if the number is the wrong thing (like they put a barcode or ISBN in there) to reject. Especially for Nintendo items, it makes the entry a little more correct, even though it would still need to get fixed later.