Author Topic: Medium field possible?  (Read 862 times)

Medium field possible?
« on: August 06, 2017, 06:15:04 pm »
Wanted to bring up the question whether we could have the fields "Medium" and "Size" for the games. Attached is a mock-up picture to show what I mean and as a source of inspiration.

Re: Medium field possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:23:44 am »
I think a "Notes" field or something of that ilk would be better for that information.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:17:48 am »
I think a "Notes" field or something of that ilk would be better for that information.

I believe, this would lead to mix of different information depending on the editor. In my opinion we should keep things standardized.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:31:11 am »
It would need to be expanded to support all formats. This is important because of releases that have multiple types of media contained within. This is mostly found in the computer sections which can come with various type of floppy disk or CD, or CD and DVD, or in some EU cases where it can be a combination of cassette, Hitachi 3" Disk and the more common sized floppy disks.

Ideally, you could choose the media type on the edit screen only, and that media type would show as an option. If there are multiple media types, you can have additional entries.

For now, we can put this information into the description field.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:32:58 am by tripredacus »

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:43:03 pm »
It would need to be expanded to support all formats. This is important because of releases that have multiple types of media contained within. This is mostly found in the computer sections which can come with various type of floppy disk or CD, or CD and DVD, or in some EU cases where it can be a combination of cassette, Hitachi 3" Disk and the more common sized floppy disks.
Combinations of different media can be realized with checkboxes.

For now, we can put this information into the description field.
Very disappointing. Nobody is interested in writing description texts as we can see in the database.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:45:59 am »
Well to understand our position, all of the active users who are marked as "Admin" on the forum are only database administrators. We cannot make actual changes to the site or database design when a user requests it, but we can go and participate in these discussions.

My mention of the description field is simply to point out the thing that is asked isn't something that cannot currently be handled. And sure, the type of time and work needed to properly fill out description fields is a task that very few would do, but this is no different than the large amount of work that would be required once the site is expanded to do these different things that are requested. So there is not going to be a way around that. Any sort of database or research on things is always done by a small amount of people.