Author Topic: Changes made by original submitter without approval possible?  (Read 733 times)

Changes made by original submitter without approval possible?
« on: August 12, 2017, 10:53:43 am »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this great site, just discovered it recently and have slowly been adding/submitting my collection over the last week. Still a work in progress :)
I made the newbie mistake of submitting a bunch of Scandinavian releases marking them [SCN]. SCN is an everyday term used in Scandinavia for Scandinavian releases so I used it without thinking twice, but I now realize that it's an incorrect format to use here. Sorry about that, I will now change those so they have correct formatting.

And this leads to my suggestion; Would it be possible for the original submitter to make changes without having it admin approved first? Besides the submissions I mentioned here I also made a few other mistakes that I discovered right after submitting an item, and then changed it immediately, which leads to unnecessary hassle for the admin who has to approve it, and also is just a "D'oh!" moment for the submitter (I mean, no one else needs to see that I screwed up, right?)  8)

Anyway, this is just a suggestion. Love this site, so glad I discovered it! I also enjoy adding my vinyl record collection on a similar music site, don't know what it is, it just feels very fulfilling going through the collections and seeing them added to the online databases. Yeah, I'm a geek but ain't we all? ;)

Looking forward to spending much more time here in the future,
Cheers,
Medisto
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:08:50 am by medisto »

Agozer

Re: Changes made by original submitter without approval possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:20:01 am »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this great site, just discovered it recently and have slowly been adding/submitting my collection over the last week. Still a work in progress :)
I made the newbie mistake of submitting a bunch of Scandinavian releases marking them [SCN]. SCN is an everyday term used in Scandinavia for Scandinavian releases so I used it without thinking twice, but I now realize that it's an incorrect format to use here. Sorry about that, I will now change those so they have correct formatting.
I did something fairly similar when I started.

On the matter of making changes without approval, sounds like a good idea. I'm just wondering if that would lead to a situation (in an extreme case) where the original submitter and someone else would get into an "edit war", and the original submitter's edits would always get priority, whether or not his edits are correct.

I know, I'm probably overthinking this.

I'm also entertaining the idea that so-called "complete" entries would be locked down, and would be only be able to be edited by specific users. Then again, people have different opinions of what a complete entry is, no doubt.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:22:53 am by Agozer »

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:32:17 pm »
The ability that is brought up here does exist, but it is something that must be earned. Admins have this ability, as we can approve our own edits. This ability should not be something that just anyone can use because it can be used for bad reasons. One example is people who create entries to use to hold sales information. And then granting this ability to Pro members can be abused also, just pay a couple of bucks and then do whatever.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 06:25:27 pm »
Those are valid points of course. I was just thinking less hassle for all but dealing with different sorts of abuse of the system might create even more hassle.