Author Topic: New Nintendo 3DS XL vs. 2DS XL  (Read 3550 times)

Agozer

New Nintendo 3DS XL vs. 2DS XL
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:35:38 am »
So, I've been thinking of getting a Nintendo handheld after many decades (the last Nintendo handheld I owned was the original GameBoy). Needless to say, the 3DS exclusives seem to be quite interesting. My question basically boils down to this: Should I get the New 3DS XL or the New 2DS XL?

From what I understand, the only real difference is that 2DS XL does not have the stereoscopic 3D effect in it, but it can still play all 3DS games just fine. Are there some 3DS games that really benefit from the 3D effect, or is it basically just a nice little gimmick that has no bearing on actual gameplay?

Are you happy with the 3DS? Would you recommend it to someone like me, who has never even held a 3DS, let alone played with one?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:14:04 pm by Agozer »

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

Re: New Nintendo 3DS XL vs. 2DS XL
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 01:14:00 pm »
I really enjoy the 3D effect and play all of my games with it enabled. I have only seen it hinder gameplay once. It was when playing Lego Hobbit it actually makes one of the bosses nearly impossible to defeat because the system has a hard time calculating the 3D effect and receiving user input at the same time.

I would go check out a display model at your local Target or Best Buy and see what you think of it. Some people swear by it and some people despise it. It really is a personal opinion on what makes you happy while gaming.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

telly

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 01:21:42 pm »
Yeah I agree; it really is a personal preference. I never use the 3D on mine, but that doesn't mean I think it's bad or not worth it, I've just never thought to turn it on. I remember using it with Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D and enjoying it, and I imagine there are games that really take full advantage of it.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:01:37 pm »
While not overly necessary, a few games do feel better with the 3D on, top example off the top of my head being Super Mario 3D World.

pacpix

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:17:43 pm »
I don't personally use my 3D at all.  Won't know if you actually want it until you try it though. 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 09:52:21 pm »
So, I've been thinking of getting a Nintendo handheld after many decades (the last Nintendo handheld I owned was the original GameBoy). Needless to say, the 3DS exclusives seem to be quite interesting. My question basically boils down to this: Should I get the New 3DS XL or the New 2DS XL?

From what I understand, the only real difference is that 2DS XL does not have the stereoscopic 3D effect in it, but it can still play all 3DS games just fine. Are there some 3DS games that really benefit from the 3D effect, or is it basically just a nice little gimmick that has no bearing on actual gameplay?

Are you happy with the 3DS? Would you recommend it to someone like me, who has never even held a 3DS, let alone played with one?

That's a good question :D.   I was thinking of getting a 2DS XL too. With the original 2DS I had, I didn't like it because it was awkward, had no hinge and was cumbersome. It felt like a etch a sketch and had tiny screens. It was an awful design imo.  So I sold it and got a 3DS which I love like a child lol. But Nintendo fixed all of those issues with the original 2DS and made the 2DSXL.  The 2DS XL is really awesome :).   I love 3DS very much and would probably choose it over the 2DS but they seem to both be solid decisions. The library for 3DS is definitely a must have for portable fans. :D

If I had to recommend one I'd say 3DS XL just because of the variety. 3DS XL has a lot more special editions and color choices at the current moment to choose from. More bundles and protectors and accesories for the form factor ect... :).  It seems like it would give you more variety when picking one. Other than that if you really love the 2DS XL color scheme and design too it's every bit as good as a 3DS XL from a design standpoint i'm sure. I'm one of the types who aren't a fan of the holo flip 3D effect wit h3DS and wouldn't consider it a factor that would warrant seeking out a 3DS over the latter. I get headaches from wonky graphical patterns like that on the hologram action cards. It isn't true 3D just optical illusion 3D. I usually leave it turned off.  But that's just me :). I have heard from people who love it a lot and many who hate it. You should try them both and see if the 3D is amazing to you or if you're like me and don't fancy it.  If you don't like it than it comes down to design and looks as the deciding factor.

In short i'd say 3DS XL because it has more color options to pick and various bundle boxes and collectibles but the 2DS XL is awesome too.  And I'd also recommend 3DS standard size as well.  I would recommend it as an option because of the portability factor. I find it less cumbersome in the pocket and more handheld.  I love it a lot. :).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:01:05 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:06:05 pm »
Nintendo's naming convention has finally lost me.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 12:01:39 am »
Nintendo's naming convention has finally lost me.

I think they had it so easy at first Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo that after that it fell apart.

Wii, Wii U, 2ds, 3ds, 3ds XL, New 3ds xl, New 2ds, 3ds LL... Wait until we get the "Brand New Switch *snap* Rumble Missing Not Portable".

I have friends who are so confused when their kid is asking for a "Pokémon system". "My kid wants that 3d Gameboy. Why are all the colors different prices?"
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

doafan

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 10:19:17 am »

I do recommend a 2DS, bought this one for my daughter last year but if money is not a problem for you I suggest to get the 2DS XL, am not a big fan of 3D  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 02:06:17 am »
To me the 2DS XL was the perfect option. It's cheaper than what the new new 3DS xl usually sells for and unlike the original 2DS, it isn't ugly as sin

I pretty much never used the 3D option, so sacrificing it wasn't a big deal.It's kinda nice like...once, but to me the novelty just wore off pretty fast

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 02:31:01 am »
I always found the 3D effect to be kinda gimmicky, and it always hurt my eyes no matter what setting it was at. There are also some games that just outright don't even use the 3D effect and have it disabled.
Currently Playing
Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch, Persona 3/4/5

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 04:20:25 am »
I enjoy the 3D option on the 3DS and use it often but feel sometimes it can strain the eyes a little but that could be due to the playtime as well. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer really. It boils down to price, if you are on a smaller budget i'd go for the new 2DS but if you can spare the extra for the new 3DS grab one of those instead at least then you'll have the 3D option available  :)

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 09:25:48 am »
I love the 3d feature but here I'll come in and recommend the smaller n3ds I tried the XL and never again! It was heavy and made my hands hurt, the screen looked worse (black lines ran through the screen very noticeably), and it doesn't fit in most pockets.

Agozer

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 04:03:30 pm »
Just a heads up, I went with the New Nintendo 2DS XL. It's such a sexy machine with the black and turquoise highlights. Also feels very robust and fits well in my hands.

-Considerably cheaper than the 3DS XL
-It comes with a charger
-Seems to weigh less
-In terms of hardware design, seems better designed than the 3DS and New 3DS XL.
-Lack of 3D not that big of a deal

Could someone explain to me what the deal is with the so called AR cards? The system came with a bunch of those, and Bravely Default even asked me to do something with those whwn I started the game.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:18:40 pm by Agozer »

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 05:24:37 pm »
as far as I know the AR cards are for some random augmented reality shovewear game all the 3ds derived systems come with other then that I havent found use for them.
Mom still thinks its a phase...