Author Topic: Plasma monitors / TVs for 480p gaming  (Read 2333 times)

Plasma monitors / TVs for 480p gaming
« on: September 01, 2017, 11:32:18 am »
Hi! I was wondering if any of you had any experience using plasma TVs or monitors for 480p gaming, for the 6th generation and Wii (so mainly component input). I'm between two 42" models I saw available to purchase where I live:

· Pioneer PDP 424MV
· Sony FWD-42PV1

Both seem to be more or less professionla video monitors (the Pioneer more so, it comes with RGB BNC inputs), and both are 480p, which looks ideal for pixel to pixel display of 480p signals and probably good 480i performance. Also good 240p mapping as well (here's a video of a guy using the Sony FWD-42PV1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swlWaxbquIQ )

My main concern is whether or not 480p from analog component would look as crisp as I'm hoping (ie: better than on a regular 1080p LED display) and whether or not there's some weird internal processing that could cause especially bad input lag, as I've never seen one of these in person.

Do you think any of these two monitors are good for 480p/480i gaming? Maybe even 240p too. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
-
"Because the guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything.
Of course, the guy who wants too little from life, might not get anything at all."

Re: Plasma monitors / TVs for 480p gaming
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 01:12:17 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:28:51 pm by jce3000gt »

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 04:16:02 pm »
Honestly, your best bet is a nice late era Sony Trinitron CRT (circa 2001ish).  Specifically, one of the high-scan models, which runs at EDTV resolutions (enhanced definition).. Not quite HD, but right smack dab in the middle.  Truly perfect for your 480P gaming.

I find a nice 27" is still carry-able by one man.  Anything 32" and above will need an extra hand (or 3).

read more about them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 06:52:08 pm »
Thanks, retromangia. I actually did have a 29" Sony Wega CRT TV for all of my classic gaming, but I was wondering about these plasma TVs specifically for 480p gaming  (and mainly 16:9 as well) since I found a couple for around $200 and $250 but I didn't know whether or not they were good enough (and there's a high cost for shipping them too).

By the way, the reason I say I did have a 29" Sony TV is because I sold it to get a couple of monitors (for RGB and S-Video consoles I have) but now I'm regretting that. These are great (a 14" Sony PMV and a 17" JVC broadcast monitor) but I'm missing the size of that Sony TV so much I'm thinking of getting one back. I had this issue of space and weight (that one because of the furniture I was making to house all of my consoles in a more tidy manner) and thought it'd be great to go to a higher quality image while losing screen size, but I'm finding that to not be as good as I thought it'd be.
I had that TV for four years, so maybe I'm just missing it now and it'll get better, but I'm really thinking of going back.

Anyways, I'll try and find more info about these plasma displays and post anything I can find here. Thanks!
-
"Because the guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything.
Of course, the guy who wants too little from life, might not get anything at all."