Author Topic: CRT TV for retro consoles  (Read 2173 times)

ferraroso

CRT TV for retro consoles
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:35:08 am »
Hi everyone!

I finally chose my new apartment! I will be moving in three weeks and I will now be able to store and display all my collection properly.
I'll also have space for a glorious CRT TV so I'm wondering what brand/model/size would you guys recommend.

As you must all know, I live in Japan, so if you could recommend me an NTSC-J model I would deeply appreciate it. But feel free to tell me about some western TVs as well and I will try to find the the Japanese equivalent to it.

So that you guys know, these are the consoles that I intend to connect to it (for now, all of them with RCA connectors):
Twin Famicom AN-505
Super Famicom
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Master System (PAL)
Mega Drive (with Mega CD)
Saturn
Dreamcast
Neo Geo CD
Neo Geo AES
PlayStation 2 (modded original model)
PC Engine Duo-R
3DO FZ-1
Apple Pippin
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:59:15 am by ferraroso »

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Re: CRT TV for retro consoles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 12:19:35 pm »
Sony Trinitron all the way... here is an EXCELLENT 480i SD CRT. 

KV-36XBR200. 

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=KV36XBR200&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

You WILL need 2-3 people to lift it safely.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:38:06 pm by retromangia »

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 11:47:25 am »
Having a large CRT is great once you first get one, then you never want one again.

24" CRT is probably the largest I would go. I typically like to stick around 12-20" myself.

Be aware that any flat CRT may cause problems with some light-gun games, but if you aren't concerned about that then I would recommend that type.

ferraroso

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:53:12 am »
I really appreciate the replies.

Indeed, I was really thinking about getting a flat 21" TV. I had heard about this issue with the light guns, but I wonder how problematic is it. Does it render the games unplayable?
I ask this question because, in fact, one of the main reasons for me to get a CRT TV is to play some Saturn and Dreamcast shooting games on it.

Once again, I am very thankful for all the support.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:15:31 pm »
I haven't tried to play a light gun game in a long time. Some people say they don't work on flat front CRT, then other say that flat front CRT will work but not HD CRT. I think it is a combination of all of those variables. But if CRT is cheap in Japan like it is in the US, then maybe get one of each type at 20" and try it for yourself. There is also the consideration that different set manufacturers and models may be different for people as well, which may be why people are having different experiences.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 05:35:12 pm »
20" is fine for a bedroom, 27" and up is fine for a living room.

I grew up playing on a 27" console TV and have always used 20" TVs for the bedroom, so that's just my personal preference.

I think 36" TVs would be better but they sure will be a pain to move around.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 06:02:51 pm »
I have a 32 inch pro scan (actually made by Technicolor) with stereo speakers and built in amps (non hd, non flat).

This TV isn’t the best for Dream Cast or original Xbox (doesn’t get you the full resolution) but it’s great for gun games and works with every light gun I threw at it including the Genesis and SNES enforcer, PSX and Saturn Cobras, Xbox light guns, NAMCO GunCons, and Dreamcast light guns.

I used to have a 27 inch Samsung flat glass ED CRT TV and stupidly got rid of it.

The Samsung was great for everything except gun games. It had S-Video and I was able to play original Xbox games on it like The House of the Dead III. But I had to use a special gun made specifically for HD CRTs.

ferraroso

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »
I ended up scoring a "28 Sony Trinitron PowerWIDE KV-28PW1 for ¥11 (around US$0.09) in an auction!
It is awesome!
These pictures won't make justice to it, but RGB, S-Video and even composite look as sharp as they can be and it supports VGA as well!

I really appreciate everybody's comments and help!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:52:41 pm by ferraroso »