Author Topic: Digital Only Fan Games  (Read 1337 times)

Nickkchilla

Digital Only Fan Games
« on: September 07, 2017, 07:28:51 pm »
I'm currently in the process of adding my digital library of Steam games into my collection.

As I was in the process of browsing and adding, I noticed I also have a few fan game titles that are plugged into Steam. A few notable titles like Mega Man Unlimited, Mega Maker, Mystical Chain, Pokemon Uranium, and so forth. 

Are digital fan titles like these something that would be considered technically "owning"? Are they allowed to be/should they be added to a user's collection of games?

I wasn't sure if this sort of question was asked before, though I feel like it has. I used the search topic function and saw nothing like it.

Apologies if so.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:34:40 pm by Nickkchilla »

Agozer

Re: Digital Only Fan Games
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:48:04 pm »
Would those games fall under he 'Unofficial' release type?

Nickkchilla

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 07:52:13 pm »
Would those games fall under he 'Unofficial' release type?

You're most likely right.

I had a bit of a derp moment there and thought about it shortly after posting. I searched for "Mega Man Unlimited" and it's listed as homebrew.

Excuse that!

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:30:25 am »
They certainly don't go under the Steam category.  PC Digital Download or something would be more proper.  Steam =/= PC.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 11:23:10 am »
They certainly don't go under the Steam category.  PC Digital Download or something would be more proper.  Steam =/= PC.

Correct. While you can add non-Steam items to your Steam library, if they do/did not have a Steam store listing, they should not be listed under the Steam category.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 11:24:57 am »
I saw that Mega Man Unlimited in the PC section. That section is for physical releases only. If there is no physical release, it should be in PC Digital Download section.

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 11:27:17 am »
I saw that Mega Man Unlimited in the PC section. That section is for physical releases only. If there is no physical release, it should be in PC Digital Download section.

Thanks for the clarification, Trip!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Nickkchilla

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 11:35:47 am »

Yeah, just because you can load or add games through the Steam client even though they are not actually on Steam doesn't make it an actual Steam game. I do that with roms by loading a program called Ice.

I was thinking PC digital download for the majority of these fan games.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 11:40:46 am by Nickkchilla »

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 11:50:01 am »
Sure, I have put Minecraft and Quake 3 into my Steam library. :)