Author Topic: Masterpiece games  (Read 1438 times)

Masterpiece games
« on: September 14, 2017, 05:07:38 am »
Few things are better than popping in a new game and becoming hooked on it within a few minutes. Any games you recently played or are in your collection that you think are complete masterpieces and the best of the best? What about it makes you think so?

Re: Masterpiece games
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:17:41 am »
One game i never get bored of is Trauma Team on the Wii.
Its realistic plot, with its comic book look and feel, good characters and voice acting, fun gameplay, and story makes it an underrated gem that most people don't realize. Everything about it makes for a delicious playthrough - full stand alone game that I can't recommend enough to people.

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 06:15:54 am »
I'd say the games i'd consider masterpieces are The Sims 2, Watch Dogs 1-2, GTA V, the DKC trilogy, Unravel, the Tony Hawk's serie, Soulcalibur III, Heavy Rain, Life Is Strange, Beyond two Souls, Uncharted serie and a lot of other games I can't think about rn

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 09:54:13 am »
Here's a little link to Our Parents' Basement.  We covered this very topic a few weeks ago.  I sure wish we could still post videos here.  :'(
https://youtu.be/0fJoMSt8D68

In my humble opinion, Shovel Knight is the perfect game.  Now, this is for me.  I have several reasons. 
1) The Graphics were made to be old looking.  These graphics are timeless.  They'll never go
2) They're constantly updating.  There is a steady flow of content.
3) Challenging with out being crazy hard.  That sense of accomplishment is spot on
4) The writing is silly and fun.
5) It makes the player get better as you move through the game.
6) It's just fun  8)

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:17:03 am »
I feel like games that are able to remain fun, engaging and unique over time are masterpieces. Often many games are outdone by a newer game in the genre that pushes the envelope even further making it hard to play older games in the genre. One example of this that immediately comes to come are the GTA games; GTA and GTA2 were decent open world crime sims, but GTA3 just made both obsolete, as did Vice City and San Andreas. And then IV game along making it difficult to return to the PS2 GTA games, and even when V came out it was a lot better than IV, making even that one hard to return to even though they came out during the same console generation. However, games like Ocarina of Time, Chrono Trigger, and Radiant Silvergun will always been fun no matter what comes along and that is why I'd consider these three games and many others to be masterpieces.

ferraroso

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:53:48 am »
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

telly

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:42:47 am »
Chrono Trigger for sure
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 12:23:28 pm »
Skyrim, yoshis island

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 03:47:57 pm »
Few things are better than popping in a new game and becoming hooked on it within a few minutes. Any games you recently played or are in your collection that you think are complete masterpieces and the best of the best? What about it makes you think so?

You can feel when you play a legendary once every 10 years type of game that will go down in history as a masterpiece.  Last time I got that feeling was Zelda: Breath of the wild.   

Other games that gave me that feeling through out my life :)

1. Last of us
2. GTA V
3. Super Mario World
4. Mike Tyson's punchout
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Mario Kart 8
7. Need for Speed most wanted
8. Legend of Zelda : The Windwaker
9. Ratchet and Clank Up your Arsonal
10. Pokemon Moon

Those 10 are all masterpieces imo :D

Recent masterpieces 

Breath of the wild
Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2
NBA playground (Sounds like a joke, but i'm seriously in love with this game for switch :) )
Super Mario Maker
Pokemon Moon
Mario Kart 8 deluxe
Mario Oddysey  (I have faith in it lol)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:50:24 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

soera

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 06:13:15 pm »
Most games take me a few to get "into" it. But there was one series that the moment I turned it on, it was over. Hooked instantly. The Bravely series. Both Bravely Default and Bravely Second were my obsession while I played them.

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 06:22:54 pm »
I totally forgot The Wolf Among Us, this game is just amazing!

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 06:45:49 pm »
Looking back at all the games I've played over the years, I would award the coveted 10/10 to the following (In no particular order):

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Terranigma
Advance Wars 2
Starcraft
TIE Fighter
Harvest Moon 64
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mass Effect 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Super Mario Bros. 3
Star Wars: Battlefront II (The first one)
Undertale

I have plenty of games that would be 8s or 9s, but for me, a 10 is a game that resonates with me, either by being an enjoyable experience no matter how many times I've played it before or by having characters and plot that sticks in the corner of my mind long after the game has finished.

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »
Ninja Gaiden Black  ;D

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 10:39:00 pm »
Most first party Nintendo games are near mastery... Rareware titles of the later 90s, the original Sonic trilogy, Duke 3D, Shenmue, Fragile Dreams... probably others I can't think of.

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 06:15:55 am »
Looks like I have list of games to look into now!  ;D

Most games take me a few to get "into" it. But there was one series that the moment I turned it on, it was over. Hooked instantly. The Bravely series. Both Bravely Default and Bravely Second were my obsession while I played them.

I remember losing two friends to this game for a month when it came out! Too busy job grinding and growing their villages to care about hanging out. Begged me for streetpasses everyday, too.