Author Topic: Reactions to Recent Re-releases  (Read 1553 times)

Reactions to Recent Re-releases
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:43:00 pm »
There's been a lot of re-releases and remasters these few years, so i want to ask you.

What are your opinions on ports, remasters, collection discs, and general redundant game releases?

I think it screws with the value of first releases and it feels lazy, but i do l o v e seeing games remade in hd.

desocietas

Re: Reactions to Recent Re-releases
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:55:27 pm »
There's been a lot of re-releases and remasters these few years, so i want to ask you.

What are your opinions on ports, remasters, collection discs, and general redundant game releases?

I think it screws with the value of first releases and it feels lazy, but i do l o v e seeing games remade in hd.

Haha, I do actually agree with your lined-out statement.

I think it's all right, especially when it means that it's a way of gauging interest for new games in a series. However, I hate seeing headlines like "20 ports we'd love to see on the Switch!" because in the end, I just want more than just ports. I want new games and some ports are fine. I know ports aren't easy, but making a new classic should be something to strive for.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:07:05 pm »
I love re-releases, particularly HD re-releases.  I don't really have the old systems anymore or at least have them setup, so getting a chance to replay them on a modern system with modern features and usually with visually upgrades is the best way to play them these days I feel.  It's also a nice way to pad out stuff on the cheap between big releases.  Like Okami HD is coming in December and I haven't played that since the PS2 days, so I'm pretty stoked for replaying it.

I'm cool with collection stuff too, like the Mega Man Legacy Collections, or the Disney Afternoon collection, just something that create a very affordable and convenient, and even better way to play them.  I'm hoping for a Mega Man X Collection next year.

azure

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:07:55 pm »
Ports and what not are hit and miss and really depend on a lot of variables. I think the Wii U ports to Switch are a great idea so that console's great titles can still have a chance.

The best thing a port can do imo is make said game(s) more accessible. For a recent example the .hack GU remaster collection coming. Those games are not cheap, thus a lot of people don't have the chance to experience them. With that collection coming it is more accessible for people to play it, and that is great.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:23:14 pm »
I love them. Especially the announcement of Okami HD made me very happy.

telly

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 04:32:07 pm »
I don't mind them that much. They don't hurt anything and give people more options to play great games
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 05:45:35 pm »
I've been a fan of most of them. Bringing old games into the modern era only gives people more options to enjoy these games or experience them for the first time, and I'm all for that.

Agozer

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:03:22 pm »
I love them. Especially the announcement of Okami HD made me very happy.

This. It will be the third time I'm buying the game. Platinum Games needs all the monies, especially in light of the the recent reveal that NieR: Automata would either save or sink the studio. The Scalebound cancellation didn't help.

HexaDrive and Bluepoint Games can also have all my monies.

Yeah, I'm all for re-releases, even re-re-releases. However, said releses need to have proper work put into them. Not the kind of shit Activision pulled with the Prototype "remasters".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:07:10 pm by Agozer »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 06:14:48 pm »
More than likely, if I already own the original, I'm not gonna spring for a remaster. Now if it's a complete remake, like Resident Evil and Metroid: Zero Mission were, then yeah, I'm all for that. When done right, those kind of remakes can breathe new life into a loved classic.

That said, if I don't already own it, it is nice to have that HD option out there. But it's not worth it if the development of these remasters are impeding on the development of new games.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:57:37 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:45:45 pm »
I'm generally perfectly fine with them. It allows more people to enjoy the games, which is what's most important. I can also stack the games on my gamertag, but that's just a side bonus.

What I don't like is when it's a lazy, overpriced port. For example, the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. They took a couple games that were $5-10 for a copy for the previous generation and slapped them on the current generation systems with no graphical upgrades or bug fixes, and are charging $30 apiece for them.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 08:10:57 pm »
No strong feelings either way. I like the fact that I can now get all of the Mega Man X games on one disc for $20, because there was never a snowball's chance that I was going to fully invest the money in a series like that.

But when it comes to games like Crash Bandicoot, I kinda like the way the old games look. I'm not sure I'd rather play a beautified version of them.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:34 pm »

I agree entirely with your crossed out part lol.  It seems like a desperate money grab from companies and they usually charge too much IE 60 dollars for the Last of Us remaster.  Granted it has better graphics but they could at least make it 20 or 40 dollars considering it's a game we already played and bought before :).   

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 01:13:02 am »
Mixed feelings, but I tend to lean toward positive. Yeah, they're obvious cash grabs that sometimes play like they were thrown together in a week, but a lot of the re-releases these days include content that either never made it out of certain countries or never existed in the first place. It can muck up the worth of rare games I own, but that price shift goes both ways. Now I can finally play some last-gen gems without selling a kidney to pay for it. I'm also one of those irredeemable trophy nuts, so slapping a few extra challenges on some old games can be a huge selling point for weirdos like me.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 04:15:20 am »
I agree entirely with your crossed out part lol.  It seems like a desperate money grab from companies and they usually charge too much IE 60 dollars for the Last of Us remaster.  Granted it has better graphics but they could at least make it 20 or 40 dollars considering it's a game we already played and bought before :).

Tell me about it. I've had to rebuy The Last of Us remastered three times now, and it was NOT cheap to do. Not to mention I still have the ps3 version, but the remaster basically makes it obsolete to play. The only reason i still have it is because I just HAVE to have a complete library.

Mixed feelings, but I tend to lean toward positive. Yeah, they're obvious cash grabs that sometimes play like they were thrown together in a week, but a lot of the re-releases these days include content that either never made it out of certain countries or never existed in the first place. It can muck up the worth of rare games I own, but that price shift goes both ways. Now I can finally play some last-gen gems without selling a kidney to pay for it. I'm also one of those irredeemable trophy nuts, so slapping a few extra challenges on some old games can be a huge selling point for weirdos like me.

My problem is that I just have to have a complete library for a system. When they have an original release, day one releases, a collector's edition alt box art, a 'game of the year' edition with all the dlc,  AND a trilogy collection disc, I wish i wasn't just rebuying the game over and over again. And that's just on one console. I also have to deal with multi-platform releases and which console I want the game on. AND THEN when they come out with a superior remaster version that makes all the former obsolete, it drives me nuts.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 12:26:29 pm »
My problem is that I just have to have a complete library for a system. When they have an original release, day one releases, a collector's edition alt box art, a 'game of the year' edition with all the dlc,  AND a trilogy collection disc, I wish i wasn't just rebuying the game over and over again. And that's just on one console. I also have to deal with multi-platform releases and which console I want the game on. AND THEN when they come out with a superior remaster version that makes all the former obsolete, it drives me nuts.

I can understand that. I don't know if I'd go so far as to buy every variation of a game (unless I'm collecting for a specific game or series, which happens sometimes), but there are instances where I like to pick up the original version of a re-released game for collecting or nostalgic purposes. Resident Evil 4 just feels wrong on a PS4 controller.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.